Thread: Right hand conversion

Right hand conversion

Hi,
    I am looking to purchase Z8 from Europe / US or Canada with Kmh speedo display.
    Any idea where I can get Z8 converted to right hand drive to meet Australian legislation.
    Much appreciate your input.
    Cheers PK8888

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Hello Peter,

As far as I know there has never been a Z8 right hand conversion. Maybe you could check with Peter Freeth, Z8 Register Captain for the BMW Car Club GB
    ([email protected]). If there was a car converted, it will be in the UK or Japan. I guess it is better to wait for another 10 years because I have heard that a 25 year LH drive car is than street legal in Australia. On this moment there seems to be one Z8 down under: probably a sheep farmer who drives on his own land :-)
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

I would be impossible to do a conversion because of the aluminum construction of the chassis.

Look at these and you'll see why - http://www.bmwz8.us/gallery.php?GalleryID=96&ImgID=571
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Thanks guys for your input. I will make it my mission to have one converted by 2016/2017.
    Will keep working on it. Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys for your input. I will make it my mission to have one converted by 2016/2017.
    Will keep working on it. Cheers

A man who likes a challenge! Good luck with this project Peter, and please document it with lots of photos and periodic updates.

Bill

Thanks Bill and will document it as suggested.

Hi Z-acht
    Thanks and I will email Peter Freeth shortly. Yes, you are right after 25 years, you could drive a LH drive car with a big LHD sticker on the rear screen or bumper. No can wait for 10years.
    The Z8 down under here is sitting on block and not sure what his plan.

If you plan on modifying the frame, perhaps you should stat with a car already with a faulty frame?

Hi Norcal,

I don't believe the frame needs modifying but will leave it to the expert to comment.

Having spent a lot of time under the car trying to find a strategy to lower the engine, I can tell you it would not be trivial to move the steering column to the other side and would require drilling and welding of the frame if possible at all. A better strategy might be to leave the column where it is and use a chain drive to link the rhd steering wheel to the lhd steering column. You will also have some problems locating the vacuum assisted brakes, but I think that is doable.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete