Thread: WSJ Article on Cars with Manual Transmission

WSJ Article on Cars with Manual Transmission

Interesting read on the future of manual transmission cars with millennial (younger) drivers.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/do-you-d...120357?tesla=y
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    There is no doubt in my mind that the stick shift as we know it today will soon be a thing of the past. Question is "how soon"?
    What this means to us is that the value difference between Alpinas and regular Z8s will only increase.
    Sorry slush box haters !
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Europe is traditionally "stick shift" area and it still is. But the automatic gearbox is increasing because of the congested traffic areas and women with driving license . I have an automatic gearbox now for 15 years and I love it. But I really enjoy driving my Z8 because of the stick shift .....that is the ultimate!
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Not so fast, Dirk! The article states that used exotics with manual transmissions are selling at a premium over the automatics. Get ready for a collapse in the Alpina market!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by boomster View Post
    Not so fast, Dirk! The article states that used exotics with manual transmissions are selling at a premium over the automatics. Get ready for a collapse in the Alpina market!

Bill
    Let's talk again in 2025 !
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Don't get me wrong, I love manually shifting gears in the classics, just the way it was done in the past, and in the Z3M Coupe, a real enthusiast car, but let's face it, the Z8 is a boulevard cruiser and who likes to deal with a clutch and a shifter while cruising on the boulevard.

(I think I better go in hiding now)
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

I wish Alpina was with an upgraded S62 and a stick transmission and by the way:

Name:  manpedal.png
Views: 175
Size:  6.6 KB
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

Team Z8
    I used to own a 98 993 C2s with a Tip and felt the same way as Dirk in terms of evolving evaluations. I sold it because it just wasn't as satisfying to drive and, at heart, I'm just not a Porsche guy. I think that real "car guys" will always appreciate a good stick in a classic car no matter what the herd is driving as strictly transportation. I further think that in 2025, as Dirk mentions, the sticks will be even more appreciated as their rarity will be greater. I just spent a lot for a 2010 328ix wagon in AWD with a stick and sport package. Try finding that combination today by any maker.
    Just sayin,
    Chris

You got it right, Hattat. We don't need no stinkin' slushboxes!

Bill

Sport Button On
    Only 20 manual 599 GTBs for the US, and this one just sold for quite a premium over F1-equipped models.

Last of the manual V12 F-Cars.

http://gtspirit.com/2015/03/16/manua...-crazy-682000/

Dirk is right, the Alpina will always be more valuable but simply because there are 10 times as many regular Z8. If anything the automatic transmission will have a negative impact on the long term desirability of the Alpina but that is more than compensated by its rarity. I personally feel that as a supercar, our cars have not aged, with the exception of... the sluggish Alpina transmission with doesn't come close to todays's dual clutch semi automatics as seen on the M3. Other than when my left knee is acting up (but that's not the car's fault...) as a driver, I have zero regrets about driving a standard Z8, quite the contrary but I do not drive mine on boulevards where this car does not belong. The best upgrade for all Z8, including the Alpinas would be a modern semi automatic but that is pure fantasy.
    ------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

2003 Stratus/Crema

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    For Edy and I sports car driving is about the experience. Sight, sounds, feel and control. Your control with a manual is both physical and emotional. In and around town give me an automatic but on an open mountain road i like to have the full experience. As for value, there were only 286 out of about 3600 Ferrari 575Ms made with a manual. The manuals are selling for about 2.5 to 3 times the F1 transmission models, when you can find one.

I am trying to remember whether I have ever owned a car with an automatic...

Oh, yes, there was that '53 Merc flat-head V8. And then—

Jeez. Nada, none, zip.

And then I fell in with this dame what married me: Let's check her history. Um... nope—not interested. In fact, she wound up with her 335i because she couldn't get a 330i six-speed; the production run was ended, and there wasn't a single Alpine White six-speed available anywhere in the country.

I am the first to admit that a DCT or even a taut eight-speed autobox is better and more efficient, but it simply does not provide what I want in my driving experience. Yes, it's a pain in traffic—but it reminds me to be grateful that my left leg is still working!

As for Alpinas... yes, I know that their M62 engine has been breathed on, but it's just just not an S62, now, is it? And yes, it's an Alpina-stroked six-speed autobox, but still—if you want a girly car, the Mercedes really would look better on you, darling....

DUCK! RUN FOR COVER! : )

Hah, I resemble that remark!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch View Post

—if you want a girly car, the Mercedes really would look better on you, darling....
    First the pink shorts, now the Mercedes, what's next ?

Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

A magic carpet I hope!! :-)

Wait, my RAV 4 Electric is a magic carpet - so I have it all now - just need a Tesla to complete the picture.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.