Thread: New Z8 owner inheriting issues

Z8 Novice

New Z8 owner inheriting issues

So I recently purchased my fathers 2002 Z8 Black/Black that he bought new in 2002. The car has 29,800 miles and I am very much in love. I have been a BMW fan my whole life and have owned an E36 M3 and still own an E46 M3 and S1000RR. After doing my homework and visiting this forum I knew what to look for in terms of common issues with the car. I have already had my fair share and wanted to pass on my experiences. Thankfully there are no frame issues (straight as an arrow and no strut tower doming!!)

Problems so far...

Auto dimming rear view mirror failure (fixed through Auto Radar).

Passenger window not functioning properly/not going all the way up. (dealership fix with new window regulator $1100)

Delaminating dash (next project)

Left front turn signal intermittently not lighting the neon. (And this brings me to an interesting story. I will try to keep it as short as possible.)

So when I brought the car into the dealership to have the passenger window issue fixed I asked them to diagnose the turn signal issue as well. So they get back to me stating they did a resistance test and that the solution was to replace not only the front turn signal but also the rear taillight assembly as well to the tune of almost $5000. This brought me to the forums in search of others having the same issue and stumbled upon someone else that had had the same issue which was also at first misdiagnosed and ended up being the turn signal module. The dealership (Chapman BMW in Chandler, AZ) quoted me $598 for this module and said it would be coming from Germany. Based on the high price and lack of quick availability I reached out to a buddy who happens to be the parts manager at another BMW dealership out of state. Ended up picking up the module for $403 which came today.

I was not looking forward to the installation after reading from another gentleman on this forum that the dealership had to remove his bumper to install the front turn signal module. After taking a closer look at the task at hand I decided to remove the front wheel, fender liner and realized that after unbolting the airbox (two bolts).and slightly moving it out of the way the turn signal and module come right out from the wheel well. In total the job took exactly 1 hour and sure enough the module fixed the problem!!!

I can't begin to tell everyone how happy I am that this simple fix fixed my problem and thankful this forum steered me in the right direction. Lesson learned don't trust car dealers.

Zach

Amazing story, and thanks for the tip on replacing the module. Nice job!

Great story on the module, thanks for sharing!

If you don't mind, it would be great to take a pic of the area, and add a thread to the problems & solutions section of the site which I'll make sticky.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    I will try to get around to it the next time I am tinkering with the car....shouldn't be long. Will be installing a Meisterschaft exhaust here shortly. I have only been waiting 4 months for it to arrive.

Which meisterschaft? Z8 forum edition?

Z8 Novice
    Yes sir! Can't wait to get it on the car!

Full hooligan! You'll love it.

Team Z8
    I didn't know the full blown "Z8 Forum Edition" was still available.

I can only assume it is, if you use the secrecy handshake!

There you go again, blaspheming! The Z8 was designed to re-create a certain feeling, a spirit of mid-century motoring, the je ne sais quoi thrill that comes from driving a 507... or maybe a small-block Corvette. And BMW sound engineers poured hours of toil into creating a retro sound from the Z8; that's why it doesn't sound like an E39 M5. It sounds like a Z8, and nothing else of its generation sounds like it.

Sure, when your exhaust rots and falls off, go with something else, if you like. But I love the Z8 sound exactly as it is—perhaps because I appreciate the fact that it was intentional.

Z8 Novice
    I am going to have to disagree with you Satch on the exhaust. I really feel there is room for significant improvement over the sound with the stock exhaust. BMW V8's with the right exhaust sound incredible and that is what I want from my Z8. Plus I can always switch it back to stock if I don't like it.

So many aspects of a car are hobbled by government restrictions. Not so sure that the engineers wouldn't have wanted a stronger "voice" for the z8. Look at the last minute run flat addition... Certainly not in the cars or customers best interest. I agree that exhaust is simple to swap back at any time.

Z8 Novice
    I agree the runflats are a great example!

Run-flats? Now you don't like my new RUN-FLATS?!

Nope, sorry....