Thread: Hi from the UK

Hi from the UK

Hi Everyone

I have just joined your forum and I am from the UK

I am actually the Z8 Register Captain for the BMW Car Club GB and thought it would be great to make a few new Z8 friends in the US. We only have a few Z8's in the club here so its not as active.

It would be great to hear from anyone who maybe wants to know about our club or Z8's here in the UK or anyone who just wants to chat!

Thought you might also like to know that we have the 'James Bond' registered Z8 for sale here in the UK. The plate is real and as seen in the film and the car has title to it. However its not THE Bond car as it is a 2002 car. It is titanium silver with black hide and looks the part! With a dealer in the UK so let me know if anyone is interested! I can put you in touch.

Bye for now.
    Pete
    Pete Freeth
    Z8 Register Captain
    BMW Car Club (GB)

Hey Pete, welcome!! I did meet Michael from the UK owners group at the 10 year anniversary in Munich a few years back, and also Andrew Chislom came on the Mille Miglia drive with his OL Z8, but not sure if either of them are still owners.

I grew up in Beaulieu in the New Forest, and began my photography career in the motor museum's photography dept as a kid! I immigrated to California about 25 years ago, and to be honest I moved for the roads, you just can't believe what a drivers paradise the American west is!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Hi Andrew

Ah a fellow Brit! I am very envious because my other half and I would love to move to the US but the rules are so tight I don't think we could now! the weather here is rubbish and we want some sun!

Mike is in touch with me and he is involved with Beaulieu too. I go there each year with a stall at the Beaulieu autojumble and have done for 20 or so years! starting as a kid going to help my Dad.

Mike still has his car he feeds me with stuff for my column in the club magazine!

Have a great weekend!

Pete
    Pete Freeth
    Z8 Register Captain
    BMW Car Club (GB)

I know, I got so lucky getting to move out here at the right time! I first came in '88 for the US GP (500cc bikes) at Laguna Seca, rented a car (BMW 325i ragtop) and drove up the coast. That was all it took, I spent all of '89 here, then the next 5 years going back and forth working on immigrating. I became a yank in 2000, right before all the madness of 9/11 changing everything.
    Andrew Macpherson

Welcome Pete! Plenty of talk here... Curious to get "the word" on z8s in the UK.

It's pretty much just a 'word' here in the UK! We only have a couple in the club and there are no more than about 3 cars I know of on the market here right now and those are just standard cars. There is one Alpina that I know of and that's for sale for around 350k

Aside from our club cars which are well loved and well used, the rest have a very low profile and probably hidden away in collections.

They are increasing quite rapidly in value here too. from about 80/90k two years ago to around the 170k mark now for a good low mileage low owner car. I don't think it will be long before it hits the 200k mark.

It's a very rare car here and one that people either love or hate and I often get asked what a Z8 is! Z3's and Z4's are the norm here.

I worked at a BMW main dealer when the Z8 was launched and guess I only saw two cars in that time and one was BMW GB's demo.

There isn't much of a scene for upgrades and customisation. I see your car has some nice additions! One of our members has just had a short shift fitted and it hasn't worked very well. Its messed the clutch up and he is having it sorted out now.

I'd like to feature a modified car in our magazine to spark some imaginations! If anyone wants to feature then let me know! The mods you guys do are a lot more adventurous so a US car would be very cool.
    Pete Freeth
    Z8 Register Captain
    BMW Car Club (GB)

Welcome Pete! Always happy to have new people to chat with about these wonderful cars. I have owned my red/sport red car for a little over two years, and can't think of another car I would trade it for (well, maybe a Ferrari 250 GTO....). We look forward to hearing about the British Z8 scene.

Bill

Pete, yes I and some others here in the USA have some mods for sure. I'm had 3 different suspensions on, 3 exhausts and two wheel sets along the way, including the stock ones, as well as many other things. I'm sure if you wanted to profile a car, you would have some takers here. I would be willing. Some people have gone much further than I have, particularly with engine mods.

Hi Pete,

Living in Holland just 200 miles from the English East Coast, there are about 100 Z8 driving around. Maybe nice to hear from you in case of an UK event next year!
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Z8 Happy
    Hi Pete,

Welcome from sunny Southern CA!
    AKA Mark from SoCal

2003 Alpina - Black/Black
    Original Owner

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    A big HELLO from the west coast of Canada, Pete.

Hi Pete,

Welcome from North Yorkshire, I look forward to meeting you sometime soon.
    2001 Z8 Silver/Red

Hi
    Everyone who has said hello! sorry I haven't been on for a while. Its great to hear from you all. If anyone does want to send me a profile of their car and their ownership experience, that they would be happy for me to use in the BMW Car Club GB magazine 'Straight Six' then I would love to hear from you. I am always looking for interesting stuff to write about. Tell me about the events you go to in the US?! - I am very envious as would love to live over there one day! I am fed up of the rain here in the Uk!
    Pete Freeth
    Z8 Register Captain
    BMW Car Club (GB)

Hi Pete and everyone else!

Long time lurker here on and off since I bought my Z8 here in the UK in 2011, but this is my first time posting. I've had a fair amount of modification work done to my car in the last couple of years as it is a driver (just ticked over 40k miles) and I intend to keep it long term - this has included full Supersprint exhaust + headers, custom Bilstein suspension, Quaife lsd and Stoptech bbk. The transformation has been remarkable and I'd be happy to write you a more detailed profile of car and upgrades if that is of interest to you.

Any Z8 owners in the UK planing to attend some of the BMW centenary celebrations this year?

Welcome Pete...

My Z8 is stored in our Michigan Winters... but I bought mine to drive. Don't understand why people buy a Z8 and then just look at it. It is not a painting... but a great car to drive!

REG Z8 01 in Michigan
    2001 Silver/Black
    46,000+ miles

Sport Button On
    Hi Pete, I've been on this site since I bought my 2001 Z8 in Santa Barbara in 2011. It's silver and black and I have to confess has only done 6000 miles. Registration is Y24 AAA. I'm currently trying to negotiate with BMW to get some cost relief on swapping out my US rear lights for the newly manufactured EU ones. I had the US ones converted to LED's so that I could drive the car. How many cars are there in England? There is another down here in Poole.

I like my orange and red Euro tail lights and have not changed them. I took my Z8 out of Winter storage yesterday. Brought it to my dealership, Erhard BMW, to check oil, tire pressure, etc. They had a really clean 2001 Silver/Black Z8 for sale in their showroom with under 6,000 miles... $239,000. It has been for sale there for a month and a half.

REG Z8 01
    2001 Z8 Silver/Black Euro
    AF77890
    46,000+ miles as of March 2016

Quote Originally Posted by mrcjackson View Post
    Hi Pete, I've been on this site since I bought my 2001 Z8 in Santa Barbara in 2011. It's silver and black and I have to confess has only done 6000 miles. Registration is Y24 AAA. I'm currently trying to negotiate with BMW to get some cost relief on swapping out my US rear lights for the newly manufactured EU ones. I had the US ones converted to LED's so that I could drive the car. How many cars are there in England? There is another down here in Poole.
    According to the licencing authority there are currently 97 Z8's in UK. This is down from 143 in 2003. These figures include Alpina models. The current figure has been fairly consistent since 2008. Of the 97 cars currently listed, 65 are licenced for use on the road, 32 are not.
    2001 Z8 Silver/Red

It's interesting to hear that as many as 32 cars are mothballed in private collections.
    Andrew Macpherson

Hi

If you are interesting in coming to the UK for an event. Its the BMW Car Club UK's National Festival on August 13th and 14th 2016 at Gaydon, Warkwickshire (basically the middle of the UK!)

It will be a fantastic celebration of all things BMW and the Gaydon car museum is superb to look around as well.

I am trying to get a collection of Z8's to make a special appearance and would love it if a few of you would like to come over from Holland and join us?

If you are interested please get in touch with me and I will send you more details!

Also, do you know anyone who has a spare set of Euro spec rear light units they might want to sell?? I have a US spec Alpina here in the UK that is DESPERATE for euro lights to make it road legal.

Thanks!

Pete
    Pete Freeth
    Z8 Register Captain
    BMW Car Club (GB)

Hi from down under
    Hi Pete,
    We spoke on few occasions regarding RHD conversion in recent times. Got myself a black Alpina now and waiting to be shipped. Meanwhile, I have read your thread and wondering where did you finally get hold of your Euro tail lights.
    I will require a set too to be road legal here. Please advise. Thanks Peter Koh