Thread: Z8 specific OBD-II codes

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Z8 specific OBD-II codes

I have an OBD reader plugged into my Z8 and it records data while driving. Things like speed, engine RPMs, fuel consumption are all standard OBD codes that are sent to the device to capture this information in real time. Offline I can have Google maps show my route and driving stats. But I would like to capture some data that are not standard codes and wonder if anyone knows where to find the Mode and ID code that is sent to read things like the state of the left and right blinker, or pressing a console button, or the door lock button, etc. I would like to see the full list of data I can read via the OBD port of the car and not just the list of codes that are available across all vehicles like engine RPM. Does anyone know where to find a complete set of such codes? I would like to find it for BMW SUVs also.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    License Plate: MYBMW Z8
    Eisenmann Mufflers
    Dinan Performance Software

Sport Button On - DSC Off Doug Dolan's Avatar
    Doug Dolan
    61297 - Stratus / Crema

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolan View Post
    Thanks Doug but unfortunately that is only a list of diagnostic trouble codes. Using an OBD interface to a external computer, you can send codes to the vehicle to inquire the current data for any subsystems conforming to OBD. This requires sending a Mode code following by a Parameter ID (PID) code. There are standard Mode/PID combinations for various functions. So, for example, each time the external computer sends 01 0C, the car/OBD interface will return the current RPMs of the engine at that particular instant. But I am trying to find BMW specific codes which are not part of the standard. I want to continually request the status of the left and right directional signal for example. So if a police officer stops me for not signaling a lane change, I have proof that in fact this was not true since I am also capturing the time and location information continually. But I have been unable to find those Mode/PID combinations specific to BMW.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    License Plate: MYBMW Z8
    Eisenmann Mufflers
    Dinan Performance Software

The Z8 is not a full CAN bus vehicle. It uses PT-CAN only (Power train). To my best knowledge, no messages regarding turn lights can be found on the CAN bus.
    Best regards, Dieter