Results 1 to 63 of 63

Thread: BMW Z8 vs Mercedes SLS AMG Gullwing & Roadster

  1. #1
    Z8 Novice jvmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    22

    BMW Z8 vs Mercedes SLS AMG Gullwing & Roadster

    Now that production has stopped on the SLS AMG Gullwing & Roadster, how does these cars stack up against our BMW Z8? Also, I did not realize these SLS AMG are very limited with less than 3,000 produced total including around 800 convertibles.

  2. #2
    Z8 Ate My Homework! Norcal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,474
    Stack up how? Price/investment/driving experience? What are you pondering?

  3. #3
    Z8 Novice jvmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Stack up how? Price/investment/driving experience? What are you pondering?
    Actually all 3. As a current owner of a BMW Z8, I think the new SLS AMG is following in the Z8's footsteps. The SLS is a modern rendition of the 300SL Gullwing, the Z8 is a modern rendition of the 507. They are both beautiful, limited edition cars although the SLS AMG only comes with paddle shift. I havent driven a SLS AMG yet so I cant say how it feels compared to the Z8. I can say I have noticed these SLS AMG's have bottomed out on depreciation and are now rising.

  4. #4
    Z8 Ate My Homework! Norcal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,474
    I haven't driven one. And, I'm not a fan of automatics... And, I don't see it as being as stand-out vs all other Mercedes as the z8 is vs all other BMWs. It is still sub original purchase price, so may be a good investment, but for about 200k, I'd rather have a true classic car... For investment, and pure art. What has the SLR done? (Not my cup of tea either).

  5. #5
    I'm not a fan of the AMG SL, to my eyes it's not an attractive car. I've had to photograph it twice now, and really struggled to find beauty in it. I think if you're looking for a classic/keeper the wilder looking and now rarer McLaren-MB might have more long term collectability.
    Andrew Macpherson

    Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

  6. #6
    Sport Button On - DSC Off Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    186
    I currently own an SLS black series, and before that had the SLS coupe. Personally I love the SLS. When you drive it you can't help but have a smile on your face. In terms of looks I'd have to hand it to the Z8, but in everyother category including driving experience the SLS wins hands down in my book. I usually don't like automatics but the SLS has so much character that it makes up for it. Everyone bonds differently with a car and you honestly have to test drive one yourself. But all I can say is I recently sold my Z8 and have no plans of selling the SLS.
    Prices seem to be up about 5-10k on SLS coupes/cabs from about 6 months ago.
    2003 Z8 Silver/Black AH62031 (Sold)

  7. #7
    Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I currently own an SLS black series, and before that had the SLS coupe. Personally I love the SLS. When you drive it you can't help but have a smile on your face. In terms of looks I'd have to hand it to the Z8, but in everyother category including driving experience the SLS wins hands down in my book. I usually don't like automatics but the SLS has so much character that it makes up for it. Everyone bonds differently with a car and you honestly have to test drive one yourself. But all I can say is I recently sold my Z8 and have no plans of selling the SLS.
    Prices seem to be up about 5-10k on SLS coupes/cabs from about 6 months ago.
    I almost bought an SLS 2014 roadster. Drove my Z8 there....drove the SLS for about 20 minutes. SLS is like driving a regular car....not much different from my SL. The Z8 is an experience. The Z8 is much smaller and more nimble. Given the choice hands down I'd take the Z8. Looks better. More engaging to drive. Bigger trunk to boot! (Pun intended)

    I'd attach an image of the cars side by side but uploading here seems unusually difficult so not sure how to do it.

    That said, if you can afford both not a bad investment IMO. The SLS is a big bruiser and rare. A bit of an exclamation mark on wheels and its replacement is much cheaper .

  8. #8
    Lovemycars
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5
    I have both the Z8 and the SLS Roadster and love them both! I think that they are both beautiful cars. They offer two different types of driving experiences in my mind- both great fun! As for appreciation of the SLS-who knows... but with the limited production one can hope!

  9. #9
    Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,113
    I took a SLS coupe on trade. Three years old with 6,400 miles on it and like new. It had a $194,000 window sticker. Took it in for $104,000. Personally I found it hard to get in and out of and a bit cramped inside. I have been in the car biz for 40 years and dealt with all kinds of classic cars. I believe I can state with certainty that there will never be any collector appeal for this car. Like Andrew I also find it unattractive from all angles. However, I do love the engine.
    Marty

    2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

  10. #10
    Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by hayvenhurstkid View Post
    I took a SLS coupe on trade. Three years old with 6,400 miles on it and like new. It had a $194,000 window sticker. Took it in for $104,000. Personally I found it hard to get in and out of and a bit cramped inside. I have been in the car biz for 40 years and dealt with all kinds of classic cars. I believe I can state with certainty that there will never be any collector appeal for this car. Like Andrew I also find it unattractive from all angles. However, I do love the engine.
    I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the SLR Roadster. Very rare production (only 2008 and a few in 09) outrageous show car / Pebble Beach looks. Terrific performance. Only thing that really scares me are the scary maintenance costs that make Ferrari costs look like Toyota. I've driven five roadsters. Takes a while but driving them grows on you. Still, I'm thinking more about scarcity and stunning visual appearance. Your thoughts?

  11. #11
    Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,113
    Much better looking than the SLS but you are right, frightening repair costs. I'm a big guy "6'2", 220lbs" so this car also is very hard for me to get in and out of. Z8 still the car of choice in terms of comfort and collectibility. The Z8 may someday be the 300SL or BMW 507 roadster of this millennia. Still don't see any longterm collectibility on the SLR either.
    Marty

    2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

  12. #12
    Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    115
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

  13. #13
    I have both, I like both, but the two cars are very different. The biggest downside to me for the SLS driving experience is the size of the car, but this is more than made up for by the engine and the noise. Strong , comfortable, and while the interior feels small it also feels vault-like. Performance-wise, the SLS is close to a Ferrari 458 Italia. I looked at the SLR, but as others have mentioned the maintenance, and the turnaround time in case of problems, were significant issues for me.
     

  14. #14
    Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    115
    Great pic! The SLS Roadster seems more convenient. The gullwing doors look cool but I tired of opening them, reaching up to pull them shut and ducking.

  15. #15

  16. #16
    Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    115
    Which red is that? Red on red?

  17. #17
    For the Asian markets this color was called Fire Opal Red, I understand there were at least a couple of variations of red over the life of the SLS.

    The interior color is called designo woven natural leather, a bit of a vintage throwback for the car's interior, in real life a richer woven brown than how it appears in the marketing materials.

  18. #18
    Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    115
    Very nice!

  19. #19
    Beautiful !
    Skip Hammerman

    2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

  20. #20
    Z8 Ate My Homework! Norcal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,474
    Great photos! Did you shoot it yourself? Looks pro.

  21. #21
    Yes, I took the photos, thank you all.

    Outside of the driving experience, a couple of things that might help the car achieve some type of collector status at some point - a) first automobile to be completely designed and built by AMG, away from parent MB, and b) the car does have a few technical innovations, such as a carbon driveline that not only reduces weight, but apparently allows the engine and center of mass to be lowered.

    Also, the SLS successor - the AMG GT - is substantially cheaper, similar to the successor to the original 300SL gullwing.

  22. #22
    Inspired by this thread, I visited a MB dealer selling a SLS AMG coupe. My recollection of the car's rather large size was confirmed and the ingress/egress was challenging for me at 6-feet tall especially when trying to avoid hitting my head on the open gull wing door. Despite these impressions, I could easily see myself owning this car. The quality of the build was evident throughout and the sound of the engine on startup was simply amazing. I would not call this car beautiful, but it has a distinctive shape and the gull wing doors set it apart. Other purchasing considerations are the space required between cars to open the doors and the long term support of the car by MB.

    For Kevin and Carlos, enjoy your rides!
    Last edited by EDEZ8; September 5th 2015 at 15:55. Reason: typo
    My Best,

    Ed

    2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

  23. #23
    I saw the new small AMG GT or whatever its called, the other day and I have to say I really liked it!
    Andrew Macpherson

    Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

  24. #24
    Hi Andrew, the AMG GT has been getting almost universally very good reviews, even in the Porsche forums. And despite the turbos, engine sound is very good.

    Ed, as per AMG - and remember, this is from their marketing materials, so a grain of salt may be in order - the side clearance necessary for the gullwing doors to open or close is actually LESS than compared to normal car doors. But ingress/egress is definitely a nuisance or a charm, depending on your point of view. I have had to be more conscious of ceiling height rather than side clearance with the car, especially as the bonnet can be raised up to almost 90 degrees at the press of a button to work on/view the engine. And that is a rather long bonnet.

  25. #25
    Thank you Carlos for your feedback and impressions!
    My Best,

    Ed

    2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

  26. #26
    Z8 Novice jvmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    22
    So I decided to add a SLS AMG Gullwing to my collection, I will post pics and reviews when I get it. Since I posted this thread a month ago, the coupes are disappearing from the market and prices are rising. I was able to find a silver over red to match my silver over red Z8. There was 4 buyers behind me ready to buy if I didnt:

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/121750069041...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

  27. #27
    Sport Button On - DSC Off Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by jvmax View Post
    So I decided to add a SLS AMG Gullwing to my collection, I will post pics and reviews when I get it. Since I posted this thread a month ago, the coupes are disappearing from the market and prices are rising. I was able to find a silver over red to match my silver over red Z8. There was 4 buyers behind me ready to buy if I didnt:

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/121750069041...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

    Thats is a great deal for a car with such low miles
    2003 Z8 Silver/Black AH62031 (Sold)

  28. #28
    Looks fantastic - congratulations!
    Skip Hammerman

    2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

  29. #29
    Z8 Novice jvmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    22
    yes, I wasnt looking for such low miles but wanted the silver over red color combo
    current stable:
    1972 BMW 3.0 CSL
    1988 BMW e30 M3
    2001 BMW Z8
    2011 Mercedes SLS AMG
    2005 Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster (stick)
    1992 Ferrari 348 TS
    1991 Porsche 911 Turbo
    1991 Porsche 911 c4
    1995 Porsche 911 Carrera
    2005 Porsche 911 GT3
    2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder White over Red
    2012 Porsche Boxster Spyder PTS Speed Yellow
    2011 Porsche 911 Speedster
    2014 Porsche Cayenne GTS (Peridot Green)
    2014 Porsche 911 Targa
    2016 Porsche Cayman GT4

  30. #30
    Love it! Congratulations on your purchase.
    My Best,

    Ed

    2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

  31. #31
    Good for you, enjoy it to the fullest!!! :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

    Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

  32. #32
    Z8 Novice jvmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    22
    So I finally took delivery of my SLS AMG yesterday. I havent had much time with it yet but I can say it is a big car with a great sound and the Gullwings really make a statement. Fit and finish like the Z8, really well put together. I will report back after I had some more time behind the wheel but I do think it is a worthy addition to my Z8
     
    current stable:
    1972 BMW 3.0 CSL
    1988 BMW e30 M3
    2001 BMW Z8
    2011 Mercedes SLS AMG
    2005 Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster (stick)
    1992 Ferrari 348 TS
    1991 Porsche 911 Turbo
    1991 Porsche 911 c4
    1995 Porsche 911 Carrera
    2005 Porsche 911 GT3
    2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder White over Red
    2012 Porsche Boxster Spyder PTS Speed Yellow
    2011 Porsche 911 Speedster
    2014 Porsche Cayenne GTS (Peridot Green)
    2014 Porsche 911 Targa
    2016 Porsche Cayman GT4

  33. #33
    If you're taking picture requests, please post an image or two of your silver/red Z8 next to your silver/red SLS!
    My Best,

    Ed

    2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

  34. #34
    Z8 Novice jvmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by EDEZ8 View Post
    If you're taking picture requests, please post an image or two of your silver/red Z8 next to your silver/red SLS!
    yes, that is my plan as soon as I can get them together. My cars are at 3 different garages/warehouses.
    current stable:
    1972 BMW 3.0 CSL
    1988 BMW e30 M3
    2001 BMW Z8
    2011 Mercedes SLS AMG
    2005 Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster (stick)
    1992 Ferrari 348 TS
    1991 Porsche 911 Turbo
    1991 Porsche 911 c4
    1995 Porsche 911 Carrera
    2005 Porsche 911 GT3
    2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder White over Red
    2012 Porsche Boxster Spyder PTS Speed Yellow
    2011 Porsche 911 Speedster
    2014 Porsche Cayenne GTS (Peridot Green)
    2014 Porsche 911 Targa
    2016 Porsche Cayman GT4

  35. #35
    Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    115
    It's stunning how much bigger the SLS is when parked next to the Z8

  36. #36
    The Other Red ZAchterbahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    168
    In my opinion the SLS Roadster has very little in common with the Z8 from a driver's perspective. However, if Mercedes made an AMG GTS Roadster with manual transmission it stood a good chance to be my everyday Z8.

    I picked up one of the first 2016 Euro delivery coupes in July and thoroughly enjoyed driving it across mountain passes - although I did miss the Z8's manual transmission - and on congested stretches of the Autobahn where I did not miss it at all!
       
    ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

  37. #37
    Z8 Ate My Homework! Norcal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,474
    Congrats Christian. Looks like fun. I like the proportions much better than the long hood SLS/SLR.

  38. #38
    What a great looking car, congratulations!
    Andrew Macpherson

    Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

  39. #39
    Sport Button On
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    40
    be very careful with that one and any mercedes mclaren. many MB dealers won't touch them. they require a special lift that even ferrari shops don't have. The factory didn't stand behind them even when they were new. several high profile cases went to court over early engine failures, etc. More trouble than a porsche 959, or a porsche Gt with its $30k clutch. stay away.

  40. #40
    The Other Red ZAchterbahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by mhunger View Post
    be very careful with that one and any mercedes mclaren. many MB dealers won't touch them. they require a special lift that even ferrari shops don't have. The factory didn't stand behind them even when they were new. several high profile cases went to court over early engine failures, etc. More trouble than a porsche 959, or a porsche Gt with its $30k clutch. stay away.
    Good advice and much appreciated. The fewer people buy one the sooner it will appreciate.

    Coincidentally I feel the very same way about any BMW product lately. The factory's strategy with the Z8 tail light issue is anything but honorable. To have a well known representative of the BMW Classic Division from Germany shake my hand at Legends of the Autobahn at Pasadera/Monterey this past August and tell me that all defective Z8 tail lights will now be replaced at no cost by BMW and then read the various desperate comments on this message board about BMW giving us the run around and not doing anything is just appalling.

    i have been a staunch BMW fanatic for decades and followed the brand blindly buying even the ugliest of Bangle's creations, his first 7 series. To BMW's credit, they got me out of this nightmare and continued to earn some business until they decided to scrap the 5 series wagon for the U.S. which put me at the mercy of my local dealerships to keep my wife's beloved 2009 535ix wagon running. And this is where the real frustration begins. Rampant incompetence and premeditated customer gauging is what I am enduring at a variety of local factory dealerships to keep that 5 series wagon serviced and maintained.

    The local Mercedes dealerships are rolling out the red carpet and provide service with the highest level of professionalism and customer care for anything from my 1957 190SL, 1958 220 S Cabriolet, 1967 230 SL, etc. to my 2005 SLR, 2007 SL65, etc. I can see where somebody could easily kill the SLR engine much like that former neighbor of mine, an engineer by trade, who sneered at me when I suggested he should keep the revs of his new Boxster S low until the engine oil has reached operating temperature. He would take it up to 8,000 rpm out his driveway and Porsche paid the bill sending him a new engine after only 3,000 miles, which is when he finally changed his cold starting habits and never had any issues the following ten years when his son took over the car as his college commute.

    To to sum it up, there certainly are bad cars out there as there are bad drivers. But there are also terrible factory dealerships out there selling cars faster than they care to service them, backed by questionable factory support and standards. A lot of it boils down to dealership management and factory field representatives' business conduct. In my metropolitan area Mercedes ownership experience exceeds by far anything BMW has to offer, to the point where I cringe at the sight of any BMW, no matter how cool and tempting it may look, just thinking of what that poor chap driving it is up to at his dealership.

    In all fairness I must concede that through friends and through experiences of my own I know a number of cities where my garage would be roundel heavy and almost starless due to the reversed scenario of dealership support.

    Passion hardly ever comes without pain. So far the rewards of Z8 ownership are still outperforming the associated suffering - for me at least.

    Long live our Z8s!
    ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

  41. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by EDEZ8 View Post
    If you're taking picture requests, please post an image or two of your silver/red Z8 next to your silver/red SLS!
    I found my image but in black/red...


    The SLS was sold to an out of town buyer on Thursday after one day on Autotrader, but I stopped by to take a look at the car anyway at a local dealership on Saturday evening. Long story short, Sunday morning the salesperson asked if I wanted the car because it was available again. Answer: YES!
     
    My Best,

    Ed

    2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

  42. #42
    Team Z8 riverflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    319
    Ed, congrats, very nice pick up.
    BMW Performance Package
    Brembo BBK
    Dinan stage II suspension
    Dinan Stage II software
    Eisenmann race cat back exhaust
    Qauife Torgue-biasing differential
    3.64 ratio
    20" HRE 541R wheels
    CDV valve delete
    BMW short shift
    Ultimate pedals

  43. #43
    Z8 Ate My Homework! Norcal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,474
    A truly perfect couple! Beautiful. Congrats. Can't wait for a ride!

  44. #44
    Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by ZAchterbahn View Post
    Good advice and much appreciated. The fewer people buy one the sooner it will appreciate.

    Coincidentally I feel the very same way about any BMW product lately. The factory's strategy with the Z8 tail light issue is anything but honorable. To have a well known representative of the BMW Classic Division from Germany shake my hand at Legends of the Autobahn at Pasadera/Monterey this past August and tell me that all defective Z8 tail lights will now be replaced at no cost by BMW and then read the various desperate comments on this message board about BMW giving us the run around and not doing anything is just appalling.

    i have been a staunch BMW fanatic for decades and followed the brand blindly buying even the ugliest of Bangle's creations, his first 7 series. To BMW's credit, they got me out of this nightmare and continued to earn some business until they decided to scrap the 5 series wagon for the U.S. which put me at the mercy of my local dealerships to keep my wife's beloved 2009 535ix wagon running. And this is where the real frustration begins. Rampant incompetence and premeditated customer gauging is what I am enduring at a variety of local factory dealerships to keep that 5 series wagon serviced and maintained.

    The local Mercedes dealerships are rolling out the red carpet and provide service with the highest level of professionalism and customer care for anything from my 1957 190SL, 1958 220 S Cabriolet, 1967 230 SL, etc. to my 2005 SLR, 2007 SL65, etc. I can see where somebody could easily kill the SLR engine much like that former neighbor of mine, an engineer by trade, who sneered at me when I suggested he should keep the revs of his new Boxster S low until the engine oil has reached operating temperature. He would take it up to 8,000 rpm out his driveway and Porsche paid the bill sending him a new engine after only 3,000 miles, which is when he finally changed his cold starting habits and never had any issues the following ten years when his son took over the car as his college commute.

    To to sum it up, there certainly are bad cars out there as there are bad drivers. But there are also terrible factory dealerships out there selling cars faster than they care to service them, backed by questionable factory support and standards. A lot of it boils down to dealership management and factory field representatives' business conduct. In my metropolitan area Mercedes ownership experience exceeds by far anything BMW has to offer, to the point where I cringe at the sight of any BMW, no matter how cool and tempting it may look, just thinking of what that poor chap driving it is up to at his dealership.

    In all fairness I must concede that through friends and through experiences of my own I know a number of cities where my garage would be roundel heavy and almost starless due to the reversed scenario of dealership support.

    Passion hardly ever comes without pain. So far the rewards of Z8 ownership are still outperforming the associated suffering - for me at least.

    Long live our Z8s!

    That has pretty much been my experience as well. BMW has truly been awful to deal with.
    Mercedes and even Ferrari have been much better at standing behind their products. While I love their styling (e.g., Z1, Z8 and even current Z4 (except from the rear which is too weak), I have had dealers flat out lie to me about work they did and the received no support whatsoever from BMW NA. I still have a bad taillight on my Z8 and given the ridiculous price of replacing a defectively designed I will be expecting BMW to replace it....even if that means legal action which is becoming more likely, particularly after what I heard at the Z8 gathering about a Z8 sale to a BMW Z8 forum member.....

  45. #45
    Sport Button On - DSC Off Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    186
    Congrats, that's a great combo. Just a look at cars.com lately shows that the SLS is definitely a future collectable. Prices on the coupes are up approx 40-50k since 4-5 months ago.
    2003 Z8 Silver/Black AH62031 (Sold)

  46. #46
    DSC Off
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    53
    Congrattulations Ed! Perfect match! Love the red against the black.

  47. #47
    Ed, all I can say is Wow! Amazing combo of black/red beauties.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

  48. #48
    What a great pairing, congratulations!
    Andrew Macpherson

    Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

  49. #49
    Thank you all for the comments! While not counting on it, I am hoping for a nice return on the SLS in the next five years and to have a few smiles along the way too.
    My Best,

    Ed

    2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

  50. #50
    Administrator thegunguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,704
    Awesome pairing! Congrats.
    thegunguy

  51. #51
    Z8 Novice jvmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    22
    I finally was able to pair my Silver over Red SLS / Z8 together. It's been a busy 6 months moving my business to a larger building to accommodate my growing business and car collection
         
    current stable:
    1972 BMW 3.0 CSL
    1988 BMW e30 M3
    2001 BMW Z8
    2011 Mercedes SLS AMG
    2005 Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster (stick)
    1992 Ferrari 348 TS
    1991 Porsche 911 Turbo
    1991 Porsche 911 c4
    1995 Porsche 911 Carrera
    2005 Porsche 911 GT3
    2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder White over Red
    2012 Porsche Boxster Spyder PTS Speed Yellow
    2011 Porsche 911 Speedster
    2014 Porsche Cayenne GTS (Peridot Green)
    2014 Porsche 911 Targa
    2016 Porsche Cayman GT4

  52. #52
    Z8 Ate My Homework! Norcal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,474
    Those two cars do go together. Nice collection!

  53. #53
    Wowza, stunning selection, bravo!
    Andrew Macpherson

    Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

  54. #54
    Beautiful, thank you for sharing!
    My Best,

    Ed

    2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

  55. #55
    My wife still wants a SLS gull wing. I want another higher mileage z8 for daily driver.
    still looking for good used SLS but price just went up.
    Gil

  56. #56
    Z8 Ate My Homework! Norcal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,474
    What about the new Amg gt?

  57. #57
    I like the AMG GT lots. She wants a gull wing. I think over time the Gull Wing will increase in price as it already has.

    WOW I like JVmax cave!

    Does EDEZ8 like black cars?

  58. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by BearZ8 View Post
    WOW I like JVmax cave!
    JVmax does have a nice man cave!

    Quote Originally Posted by BearZ8 View Post
    Does EDEZ8 like black cars?
    I do like the look of a car with a black exterior and with red interior because this color combination just pops for me. The downside is a black car shows every speck of dust.

    To get a feel for the SLS market I conducted a survey of 76 cars for sale in the US in July 2016. I'll send you this information to help with your search later this week. The high level summary is:

    • The most prevalent model for sale was found to be the 2011 SLS AMG (38%) and the most rare was the 2014 SLS GT (3% or only 2 of the 76 cars).
    • California had the most cars for sale (22%) followed by Florida (17%) and Arizona (12%).
    • The three most popular exterior colors were: Obsidian Black (34%), Mystic White (22%) and Iridium Silver (21%).
    • The three most popular interior colors were Black (46%), Classic Red/Black (16%) and Light Brown (14%).
    • The most popular color combination is Obsidian Black exterior with Black interior (24%).


    Black/Red Beauties
    My Best,

    Ed

    2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

  59. #59
    Team Z8 Satch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    296
    You will be pleased to know that one Stephen J. Dinan has now turned his attentions to Porsche (oh, my god) and Mercedes. I had a ride in his new AMG four-door sort-of-a-coupe, and it handles extremely well. His only complaint is that you can't get enough rubber under the car....


  60. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by jvmax View Post
    I finally was able to pair my Silver over Red SLS / Z8 together. It's been a busy 6 months moving my business to a larger building to accommodate my growing business and car collection
    Great looking speedster ! And love to see more pics of that stunning CSL as well !!

  61. #61
    Z8 Novice
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    14
    I agree with the sentiments the Z8 and the SLS are both very special cars. To me its the emotion and the theatre of the car and both the SLS and Z8 achieve it in spades.

    Attached is a picture of my Z8's siblings.
     

  62. #62
    I've noticed lots of you have both Mercedes and BMW in their garage. Where I'm from that's more or less not done, you are either a BMW-owner or a Mercedes-owner, can't love/drive/own both

    But I think it's cool you have both, I even wonder why it's not done with us....

  63. #63
    I counted in this thread 6 current or former Z8 owners with either the SLS Coupe or Roadster. After 8 months of ownership I really have come to enjoy the dual personalities of the SLS. In traffic it drives like a sedan and when the road open ups it feels like a supercar easily pulling away. The Black Series mentioned above has a 60 hp advantage over my coupe, and asking prices now are well above the original selling price. Well bought!
    My Best,

    Ed

    2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Similar Threads

  1. Gullwing :: 2013 Mercedes SLS AMG
    By MikeHHI in forum Garage Gallery
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 1st 2016, 02:22
  2. Mercedes 280SL Pagoda :: 1968 Mercedes 280 SL "Pagoda"
    By MikeHHI in forum Garage Gallery
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: February 23rd 2015, 18:41
  3. Mercedes 600 Grosser :: 1972 Mercedes 600 SWB Limo
    By RPChan in forum Garage Gallery
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 9th 2014, 06:36
  4. A 4.6 million dollar alloy 300SL gullwing!
    By hayvenhurstkid in forum Z8 Chat Room
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: January 23rd 2012, 03:59
  5. Value - Z8 vs. Alpina Roadster
    By ///M Blitz in forum Z8 Chat Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 2nd 2007, 19:30