Thread: Value of euro spec z8 vs. Usa cars?

Z8 Novice

Value of euro spec z8 vs. Usa cars?

I have a 2000 z8 Euro spec that I have had since new. It's silver/red with only 9700 miles. I was thinking that it might be time to let it go. Anyone have any input about the value of a Euro car compared to a US spec one?

Where is it? If in the US it should be worth much more in the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Where is it? If in the US it should be worth much more in the EU.
    I agree.....the positive side of an EU exports that you still have the original tail lights which are the most important costs of a conversion of a US car. Did you have software conversion EU --> US?

Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Z8 Novice
    The car is in Lexington Kentucky. I'm not sure about the software conversion. What does that include?

If radio and telephone work you probably got a conversion.
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Z8 Novice
    Yes, everything works, so I guess it was converted. So, I understand the car would be more valuable if it was heading back to europe. Do you think it effects the value if it stays in the US? I've been looking at others for sale and i'm thinking about asking $180,000. The car's in great shape with no problems. Does that sound reasonable?

I'm thinking with the huge rise in prices over the last 18 months and your low milage you may be just a little low for the Euro market. Maybe 200K
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Dinan low restriction carbon fiber airboxes
    Dinan high flow air mass meters
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    custom short shift linkage
    cdv modifacation
    Quaiffe differential/military grade gear polishing
    19 inch 3 piece HRE mags/Toyo tires
    Custom crossdrilled/slotted rotors
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    custom Sachs clutch /pressure plate
    Dinan pedal set

I'd say your miles and being an EU spec car should take it into the $200-220k range, possibly even more.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I would add that going into 2016, BMW's centennial, the European demand for special cars for the celebration events should increase their value....

Z8 Novice
    Wow. That's good to hear.
    What is the best way to try to sell it and also reach the Euro market? EBay?

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    reflectors on rear fender assume it has been modified to USA markets or later changed to Eu markets (tail lights)

I have a Euro 2001 Z8 with the orange and red tail lights and Euro plate in front. Phone and radio work so it must have been converted. I have 46,000 miles on mine and it looks brand new. Stored every winter. Does anyone know how many Euros are in the US and if their rarity means anything?

REG Z8 01

I'd say that as many as 250 came over in 00>01 before the dollar collapsed. My first Z8 was an EU car too, and it was just as lovely as my later US ones. I don't think that being an EU car would especially increase its value through rarity in the US, but it certainly has a lot of value to buyers in the EU as mentioned above, and those miles wouldn't be seen as excessive over there, while they'd certainly have quite an impact on the value here.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar
    You have a couple of chips on your front bumper

Last I checked they may be worth less here as, for example, I don't think a Euro car, even made legal for the U.S., is legal in california. There is another very expensive hurdle to obtain the famous BAR sticker. Thus, the mkt might exclude the largest car mkt in the USA.

I have not heard the term BAR sticker. What is the BAR sticker? What is the expensive hurdle? Thanks!

REG Z8 01

I think he means CARB (California Air Resouce Board) and in most cases it was something that was dealt with back then as most of the cars came in through G&K Automotive in Irvine, and they got them fully legalized.
    Andrew Macpherson

mjunco1054
    I have a 2000 Euro Spec with 7900 miles that was fully brought to US Specs (even changing the bumper) I bought it from the original owner and he bought it in Italy and brought it to the US in 2001. I had BMW Classic in Dallas go through it in detail before I bought it and they certified all the changes were made properly. Unfortunately the original owner did not keep the tai lights or gauge console. The car is in like new condition and I keep it in storage. The car is Silver/Red and I would love to get a European Spec Book for it. The VIN is AF77642. Manuel
    Manuel Junco
    2001 Z8 60373 (Silver/Black)
    2001 Z8 60430 (Silver/Red)
    1976 2002
    2014 535i daily driver
    2016 M4 GTS

Actually, typically not necessarily. There were what were known as "49 state cars" even from OEMs and that mean they passed emissions requirements of all states but California.

The EPA had a very short list of companies around the USA that could take a car not made for the US market and convert it to make it conform with Federal regulations. However, if you got a fed registration paper work cleared it did not follow that you got California emissions clearance as well. California standards were stricter than the Fed Standards so you could bring a car into the U.S. and then find it still won't meet California standards. It's a pain in the butt frankly. Bottom line is you need to confirm with California. BAR stands for Bureau of Automotive Repair and they are the ones that handle the cert for California if I recall correctly. CARB is the agency that sets the standards, etc.

My Z8 is a Euro. It is Silver/Black. Vin#AF77890. I bought it to drive and it has about 46,000 miles on the odometer. I do drive it but also store it in the Michigan Winters from Nov 1st through April 1st each year. They monitor the battery ( with charger) and make certain that the tires are moved as necessary to prevent any flat spots.

In retrospect, I wish I'd have bought two Z8s ... one to drive and one to store and look at. But I didn't. I bought mine to drive and drive it I do!

My Z8 is now 14 years old and drives like it did when it was new. I love this car.

I kept the orange/red tail lights and the Euro plate friendly bumper in front. I had a Euro Plate made (pictured below.)

REG Z8 01.

The Nav talks to me in English but frankly I never use it. Waze with Bluetooth is much better.

I updated the sound system when my stock radio died (water damage that could not be fixed?) and installed an Alpine unit with Bluetooth. The next thing I have to do is replace the speakers. The sound system that came with the car was disappointing.

Any suggestions on what sound system and speaker configuration might be best?

I have the original radio (purportedly water damaged) and the Star Trak phone and phone holder as well as all of the original Nav stuff. I also have the hard top, hard top holder and cover, the Z8 book for my car and the Z8 badge.

I never put the badge on the car. Unlike many other great cars... most people don't know what a Z8 is since they are so rare. I was once stopped at a light and a young guy in a beater asked me what kind of car it was. I told him "it's a kit car". Ane he replied " that's what I thought".

I like it that way.

REG Z8 01

I'm with you on that! We only live once so we should enjoy these cars, right? My car has the clear bra, which has pros and cons, but for driving regularly probably a plus. The Z8 is really in class by itself. Much more usable than a Barchetta far more stylish than an SL and rarer than most anything else. A second one is not a bad idea

BTW, there's a lady I see regularly in the Manhattan Beach area with a silver/black Z1. She tells me she has over 100k miles on her car

A lot of people have told me that I should sell my Z8 because it is worth more than what I paid. What a terrible reason to sell.

REG Z8 01

Quote Originally Posted by REG Z8 01 View Post
    A lot of people have told me that I should sell my Z8 because it is worth more than what I paid. What a terrible reason to sell.

REG Z8 01
    If you needed the money AND your car was a museum piece, e.g., super low volume, as in 100 or less, that might make sense. But these cars are still cheap by collector car standards and the best bank for the buck. XKE stunning looks with near exotic car performance and safety no vintage classic Cobra or other classic could ever match. The large trunk makes the Z8 a great car to own and drive. Besides, it it is really collectible decades from now miles will not matter. Condition will be far more important.

Quote Originally Posted by REG Z8 01 View Post
    The Nav talks to me in English but frankly I never use it. Waze with Bluetooth is much better.
    The first time I used my early Canadian nav system, it shouted in German at me and the wife. She eventually got it to British English! When the center stack was replaced under warranty, we lost the British voices :-(

Isn't the Z1 the car that has the drop down doors?

REG Z8 01

Once I knew my golf clubs would fit in my Z8 trunk, the decision was easy.

REG Z8 01