Thread: Z8 car covers. OE and otherwise

Z8 car covers. OE and otherwise

Gruppe:

I am now in Credit Card debt again, having bought ANOTHER [email protected]##! car cover. Z8s came with an OUTDOOR cover that was cleverly attached to its own bag; leave the trunk ajar, put the cover on the car, slip the back into the trunk and close it: eureka! The wind will not carry your car cover away!

Okay, so Buffy the Black Car had this cover. The Blue Car—Which Will Not Be Named By The One Who Named The Black Car Buffy—did not have its original cover, alas. Ah! But! At realoem.com, I was able to figure out the part number for the OE cover, and it clearly said OUTDOOR COVER. Until I opened the box (ECS Tuning) and found a WONDERFUL car cover in a nice case that says Z8 on it and everything....

But this is clearly an indoor cover. It is as soft as Alabama butter in July.

Now, Buffy already HAS an indoor cover (the red one with BUFFY embroidered on the front), so now we are, like, set for the indoors, but the Blue Meany (no? Okay) still needed an OUTDOOR cover, so I got back on the horn with the California Car Cover cohorts and ordered up ANOTHER cover... in blue. Of course, right after that, I figured out that I COULD have swiped Buffy's OEM cover, at least for this month, when we are taking the Blue Train (no again?) to the Biltmore. But noooo.

I do like the CCC people, even if they do charge five bucks to leave their logo off the car cover. Of course, I have not yet seen how well these things fit.... The NOAH cover we got for the 335i from BavAuto fits like OJ's Isotoners, so I thought I'd go elsewhere for the Z8. Anybody else have recommendations, now that I have bought the last car cover I'm ever going to buy?

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Going through my miles-high pile of invoices, I found one dated September 2008 for $249 for the original Z8 car cover. The part number is 82-11-0-018-027.

It is a nice-weather-outdoor-cover protecting the car from bird droppings and tree sap but it's clearly not rain or mildew proof as I discovered on our last outing to Key West. It is not soft either.

There is always the good old U-Haul tarp which is great for road trips (the ones where the co-pilot needs to take many pairs of shoes and luggage space is at a premium)

Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

I have always assumed the cover I have (which I thought was the cover that came as original equipment with the Z8) was pretty much just for indoor use. It is a silver-gray color, essentially a match to the factory hardtop cover, with the Z8 logo at the nose of the car, a plastic window for the rear license plate, and an attached storage bag also printed with the Z8 logo. Is it suitable for occasional outdoor use, as perhaps when taking a road trip?

Bill

For temporary outside-ing on the SL I've been using a $60 Pepshop Boys thing that works just fine.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by boomster View Post
    I have always assumed the cover I have (which I thought was the cover that came as original equipment with the Z8) was pretty much just for indoor use. It is a silver-gray color, essentially a match to the factory hardtop cover, with the Z8 logo at the nose of the car, a plastic window for the rear license plate, and an attached storage bag also printed with the Z8 logo. Is it suitable for occasional outdoor use, as perhaps when taking a road trip?

Bill
    That's the same one I have. I think it's fine for outdoor use... At least for road trips, but in rarely use it because if the car is dirty (which it always is on a road tr), I'd rather not cover the car.

"I have always assumed the cover I have (which I thought was the cover that came as original equipment with the Z8) was pretty much just for indoor use..."

No, that's the outdoor cover... which I thought I was buying. The indoor cover is thick and soft, almost padded, and is clearly declared to be an indoor cover. I'll take a picture of the outdoor cover I bought from California Car Covers once I put it on the car.

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Most of my roommates use California Car covers. These are exactly the same covers as the ones I purchased from Bav Auto with the small Noah label on the left A pillar. Great covers, perfect fit, soft as baby skin and definitely indoors only and too bulky to take on a road trip. For this you want the one marketed by BMW.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com