Thread: Some interesting views on low mileage

Some interesting views on low mileage

Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Drive them or preserve them?

Now you're pushing one of my buttons! Here's a paragraph from that Classic Driver piece:

Lucas Hutchings of Image Automotive echoes Knight’s sentiments, as he regularly deals with ultra-low-mileage machines—and has even owned one himself. “I love the Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale, and I bought one with 1,800 miles on the clock. I loved the romance of opening the door and smelling brand-new leather; the paintwork was original and untouched. But at the same time, I didn’t feel it was ‘fair’ to the car for me to put several thousand miles on it – it needed to go into a collection to be preserved for future generations. In an ideal world, I’d have had one very low-mileage example, with a sister car on which I could put as many miles as I liked in order to enjoy the delights of driving it.”

Preserved for future generations, my ass: Sounds like another case of Ferrari Mania, in which one grabs a car on the rise of the bubble, hoping to sell it at the top.

Of course, as a drivin' fool, I take a dim view of garage queens in general. We bought the black Z8 as a quasi-investment: enough miles to take it out of the never-driven category, but low enough to be pristine. (Buy a fifteen-year-old car that hasn't been driven, and you're in for a surprise, unless you want to continue its lonely existence as a paperweight.) Our collector-car insurance allows 3,000 miles a year, which is about right for Buffy; we have about a thousand left before September.

The Blue Car, on the other hand—I've got to come up with a name for this thing before the Buffy-Namer comes up with one—had nearly 99,000 miles on the odo when I picked it up, and I put about 5,300 on it in the next nine days. Sometime in the next ten years, I may build an S62 engine, but proper maintenance—and spirited driving—should keep the original engine together for at least 200,000 miles.

The Z8 is a wonderful driver. If you want to look at cars, go to a museum.

Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch View Post
    If you want to look at cars, go to a museum.
    ..... Amen.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Thumbs up !
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S