Thread: BMW Z07 Concept Story

BMW Z07 Concept Story

I saw this article today and thought I would share it. For years I've been reading about the "gale-force" winds in the Z8 cabin with the top down as described in this piece. With personal experience in owning 911, M3, TR4A convertibles, I don't think the Z8 is all that different. In fact, I never use the supplied wind blocker.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/05/20/fl...w-z07-concept/
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

I'd rank the Z8 as one of the more misunderstood modern cars, if not the most. I clearly remember reading in the early 2000s that BMW had tooling for only "around" 5,500 cars and that they used the Z8 as a training ground for the soon to come (aluminum framed) Rolls Royce. I also remember that the S62 was at the end of its development cycle and if BMW had decided to build more Z8s, it would have to put in a different drivetrain, which would not have been financially justified; enter the Alpina V8 Roadster. Yet, I constantly read how it was flop because BMW could "only sell 5,800 of them."

I also remember that at the time, it scored one of the fastest laps around the Nurburgring. Of course, that was with non-runflat tires. The marketing geniuses decided that runflats would be great for the U.S. giving us what some described as an average handling car. With Pilot Super Sports, I find the opposite to be true. Sure, it's not as nimble as my e36 M3, which might be the best balanced car of all time (in my humble...), but then not many cars are.

Same thing for the "mythical" noise and turbulence in the car. One idiot writes it and then all the other idiots re-write it without bothering with the facts. Compared to some of the convertibles I've owned and ridden in, the Z8 is quite pleasant.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

DSC Off
    ALL of the above - agreed.
    (also have an E36 M3; had an E46 vert)

Quote Originally Posted by hlmiii View Post
    (also have an E36 M3)
    My friend, you are obviously a man of impeccable taste!
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    -- Others --

DSC Off
    Ha. But you know ... it takes one to know one.

What do you have? 1999 Technoviolet MT Coupe in my garage.
    Completely understated ...

Bone stock 1998 Dakar II Coupe. I wasn't the biggest fan of Dakar when we bought it, but my two teenage Sons (at the time) pushed like crazy for it, so...Technoviolet would have been my first choice.

I thought of replacing it with an e46 M3, but I drove one and found it too heavy. The e36 is an exceptionally well-balanced car, not as gutless as the e30 M3 and not as portly as the e46 (just my opinion); Goldilocks perfect.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    -- Others --

DSC Off
    "gutless" - ha! That description took courage. You're going to wanna protect your house and family from 1st gen M3 fans.

But I know what you mean. I have an '88 M3 and truly love it. It's near-perfect - for what it is. Perfect balance - in terms of handling, performance and the way everything works at the same level. As long as you beat the &$^# out of it, at 5,000+ RPM, then there is nothing better for pure classic driving. But that wonderful S14 is not comparable in power to more contemporary motors.

I agree with your comment on the E46 version. Even though I use mine semi-daily, it does not have a quick, lightweight "rabbit" feel due to the weight. It feels like it has to be pushed - even forced - to get moving, until it gets into the 4,500 range.

The E36 is right in the middle - lighter weight similar to the E30 + added power similar to the E46. It's the forgotten stepchild of M. I understand why - there is nothing cosmetically different about it in the exterior and interior, so there is nothing "special" about the overall apparent character. And that generation of BMW quality, plastics, leather, interior and design is not only forgettable but also problematic (the E30 interior is more durable and serviceable).

But put the '36 on the streets/freeways/highway and it's a LOT of fun and a model that ties together the need for a greater S14 and a lesser E46 weight.

I like the Dakar. I was stalking one for a while. Then a purple one popped up and it was Game Over!
    Glad to hear you've kept it stock - that's the way I handle mine, and they are becoming almost extinct. Yours has very low mileage (less than mine) so keep it in good health.

BTW - 1988 M6. Very sweet! Congrats.

I have a 98 e36 M3 that my wife and I picked up a couple years back and drove from Seattle to Napa, Napa to Carmel, Carmel to Vegas, Vegas to Santa Fe and Santa Fe to Little Rock over a period of 8 days. I must say I believe it to be the perfect road car. Comfortable, fast and extremely compliant in the twisty's. Sitting in the garage with 37,000 miles. Definitely a keeper.
    Robert C. - BMW Enthusiast
    03- Alpina Z8 62141 #243/555

Wow! Epic road trip. I have done much of that, but not in one trip!

There are no better colors for E36 M3s that Daytona Violet and Dakar yellow. And there is no better M3 than the E36 (in my not-so-humble opinion, of course). Driving the E46 Comp Package M3 at Sears Point, I always felt like I was trying to catch up with the car; I was not comfortable with it at all, and I was very apprehensive when I took Steve Dinan's Imola Red E46 M3 to Las Vegas for a school, since I knew that it had WAAAAY more horse-puppies than a stock one.

Boy, was I surprised—and gratified. The car miraculously shrank to the size of an E36 due to the suspension and tires, and it was easy to drive arrestingly fast.

The Z8? I don't drive it the way I would drive an M3, so I don't need the Dinan suspension. As long as I can drive it as fast as I want for eight hours, and still get out of the car without feeling crippled, I'm calling it a great GT car. And as for wind noise... YOU'RE DRIVING A ROADSTER, for Christ's sake! If you want to hear the stereo, buy a coupe. (License-plate surround on an Alfa Spider: "Coupes Are For Chickens.")

DSC Off
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch View Post
    There are no better colors for E36 M3s that Daytona Violet and Dakar yellow.
    ... (ahem) ... Techno Violet (maybe not better, but at least equal )

YOU'RE DRIVING A ROADSTER, for Christ's sake!
    Lol. This.

Taking this opportunity, Satch, to reinforce what so many say and feel - your writing, participation, insight and overall demeanor with Roundel is wonderful. An irreplaceable resource. Thanks.

There are no better colors for E36 M3s that Daytona Violet and Dakar yellow. And there is no better M3 than the E36 (in my not-so-humble opinion, of course).
    Satch, the E36 M3 does not get enough props; what we need is more Roundel articles about the wonders of the e36 M3. I'll make my car available for that article. One owner, Dakar Yellow II, all original and second place finisher at Legends (Concours Class) last year after I drove it from L.A. to Monterey.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    -- Others --

Team Z8
    Speaking of the E36, I've recently purchased a 2000 Z3M coupe. The handling is fantastic and provides a great space for a weekend for two.

...what we need is more Roundel articles about the wonders of the e36 M3. I'll make my car available for that article. One owner, Dakar Yellow II, all original and second place finisher at Legends (Concours Class) last year after I drove it from L.A. to Monterey.

Okay, Cardenas, you're on! Ping me at satch[AT]satch[DOT]us.