Thread: 2002 Z8 (#61339) Silver/Black with 22,000 miles as 35,000k's - sold

2002 Z8 (#61339) Silver/Black with 22,000 miles as 35,000k's - sold

This well loved, but driven and enjoyed car is a unique opportunity for someone who wants a Z8 that they can drive and enjoy with worrying about it being a pristine garage queen.

It has been with its current owner in the Vancouver area since it was brought into Canada by a local dealer and converted to Canadian DoT specs. It was with us on the Volcano Tour in Oregon back in 2010, as can be seen in the top picture, and has always been lovingly cared for and never abused. The car is perfect mechanically, and has just had a PPI done by a local BMW dealer, which is attached here. It has the PP and all its original body panels but it does have a few small scratches on the paint. It has 'The Book' and most of the bits and bobs that originally came with the car too.

Let me know if you are interested, and I can share a dropbox with many more images.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    Is this car still aavailable for sale?

Yes, it is :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Yes, it is :-)
    I'm intersted, how do i start a dialogue with the seller?

Just email me, andrew @ bmwz8.us
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On
    Hmmm... This would be the perfect "driver" to have aluminum front/rear/valance body panels made and polish the whole car ala Shelby AC Cobra.

Opps, my bad, I forgot to mark it as sold, this car is now on its way to Europe!
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On
    Opps, my bad, I forgot to mark it as sold, this car is now on its way to Europe!
    Sadly, the vast majority of Z8s sold are heading back across the pond somewhere.

Grabbing a clean higher-mile Silver/Black is still the best option for a polished body and serious performance mods. I still have a Dinan supercharger and other bits off an E39 M5 that would make quite a nice Z8 project.

There's a very good case for that, but to my mind handling mods are the way to go before adding power.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On
    There's a very good case for that, but to my mind handling mods are the way to go before adding power.
    Agreed. Alpina or equivalent chassis (including PP) and suspension before upping horsepower. And the only reasonable candidate for that and a fully polished body would be a non-investment-quality higher-mileage example in the most common color.

I shoulda done one years ago when they dropped into the $80k range, but it wasn't financially feasible for me then.

Oddly enough I did, but it was on that very car (60789) that I discovered all the frame issues! I also wanted to do a fully polished body like the Shelby, but the many plastic body panels were going to be prohibitively expensive to make up in aluminum. There are plenty of vintage body shops that can do it, but they're used to working on 5-10 & 15 million dollar Ferraris etc, so you can imagine the cost!
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On
    The 500 mile silver/black Z8 with 500 miles in Hilton Head at Auctions America was a no sale at $240k high bid.

Sport Button On
    Oddly enough I did, but it was on that very car (60789) that I discovered all the frame issues! I also wanted to do a fully polished body like the Shelby, but the many plastic body panels were going to be prohibitively expensive to make up in aluminum. There are plenty of vintage body shops that can do it, but they're used to working on 5-10 & 15 million dollar Ferraris etc, so you can imagine the cost!
    Yes, I'm sure that's why it's never been done. I'd be willing to spend $25K on hand-hammered aluminum for such a project, and I've found and commissioned an old-school fabricator who assures me it can be done for that cost.

I'm guessing the cost of custom aluminum is why I've seen your comments about the possibility of a chrome wrap as the next-best thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lanny View Post
    The 500 mile silver/black Z8 with 500 miles in Hilton Head at Auctions America was a no sale at $240k high bid.
    Thanks for the update. $240K would definitely be well-bought, so the no-sale isn't much of a surprise with that high bid.