Thread: Right signal blinking quickly

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Right signal blinking quickly

Hi,

So my right signal has been intermittently blinking quickly, and yesterday started doing it more. All lights work fine, and activating it simply makes it flash faster.

Is there something I can do, or is this just the precursor to a $3K light replacement? If the latter, how do I know if it is in the back or front?

Thx,

Pat

I have not seen this problem before, but others on the board may have. P. 58 of the manual says one of the turn signal bulbs is defective. That may be the cause. From p.131 of the manual the front (side marker) rear turn, rear brake and high mounted brake are neon. But from p.132, the side turn signal indicator is a 10 watt bulb. These bulbs should be inexpensive. I would check them first. If they are out it is a no brainer, but it is an inexpensive check to replace them anyway, even if they work. There are other bulbs also listed that have nothing to do with turn signals, but if they are out, replacing them may also fix it. On more normal cars a quick flasher often meant the bulb was installed incorrectly and rotating it fixed the problem. Lastly, it could be the turn signal stalk switch, I suppose.

Please report back what you find out. With other recent posts about BMW abandoning us on making new neon tail lights, every light problem is worrisome.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

There is an indicator relay that can go out too, which is far less expensive a fix, definitely check that too.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off
    I have the same problem . The problem started when the temperature outside was high. Later on the right side blinker stopped working.

Z8Ros

Thanks... it has stabilized again. I will let you know what I find out.

Isn't the side indicator an led - i.e. the on in the shark gill... or do you mean another one?

Or do you mean the bulb in the bumper?

DSC Off
    In the shark grill. There is no led . The light comes trough a glassfiber. Where the light come from I dont know yet.
    Z8Ros

Cool... I will have to look at that now because I am curious.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    In the shark grill there is a light that can be changed and it is still available for 35 euro (63146906062)

The blinker has a small halogen bulb available for a couple of euro (63136907319)
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Z8 Novice
    I had the same problem last year and it was the indicator replay as Andrew suggested....I think it cost like $300 to fix if I remember correctly

cool... well right now all is back to normal so fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by screenap View Post
    Or do you mean the bulb in the bumper?
    It should be the one in the bumper. The shark gill is an led according to the manual. Glad you are stabilized.
    Charles Guerin

So it turns out that it is the bottom strip of the tail light unfortunately. So one is working, but the other is not. So I anticipate learning more about what the folks in the EU have been able to convince BMW of with respect to the lights! Any news would be appreciated.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by screenap View Post
    Hi,

So my right signal has been intermittently blinking quickly, and yesterday started doing it more. All lights work fine, and activating it simply makes it flash faster.

Is there something I can do, or is this just the precursor to a $3K light replacement? If the latter, how do I know if it is in the back or front?

Thx,

Pat
    The fast signal indicator implies that your rear signal lamp is burned out. The tail lights have 2 neon tubes. The top tube is the signal. Brake lights will still work but the signal does not - usually but can be indicative that the whole unit has failed but regardless,there is no way to replace the individual tubes and as such, you have to replace the whole tail light unit as it is a sealed unit. Last price had when replaced was $1300 for one tail light plus installation / tax and labor. The rear valance has to be removed and reinstalled as part of the process.

BMW tail lights for Euro spec models were in very short supply a few years ago and if you need one of those, you may have trouble getting or finding one as last I heard, BMW had no solution for the lack of supply of those as they did not anticipate the significant number of Z8s that would repatriate back to Europe and require conversion.

If your car is US Soec, (all red) then you should be in good shape.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

HI,

So basically what I am seeing is the top neon tube works, and it blinks when it should. The bottom one does not blink. On the left side, both blink. As such, we concluded that the bottom one is dead. Right now, no safety issue, just annoying that it blinks quickly.

I had read on one thread in this forum that there was movement by the Z8 club on getting BMW to agree to make the prices more reasonable - I read end of March as a target date (I forget the actual thread and couldn't find it again), so was curious if there is anything new there.

To be clear, I do not need to do anything yet, but I assume the top tube will go soon.

The price seems to be consistently around $2200 USD for the right (oddly, more expensive than the left on most sites!)

Thanks!

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    I had read on one thread in this forum that there was movement by the Z8 club on getting BMW to agree to make the prices more reasonable - I read end of March as a target date (I forget the actual thread and couldn't find it again), so was curious if there is anything new there.
    I will see if there is any progress....but march is still young :-) On the EU auctions site US taillight are offered quite regularly. I can signal if there is one offered.
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Thanks so much... I figure I still have a while since there is no safety issue... but maybe its imminent that the other will fail.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar
    Pat - same issue with mine. The bottom strip is out (not always) even when the light is not blinking .... Wouldn't that suggest a connection instead of a gas leak/ballast? Does anyone know if there are special wiring requirements for inert gas lights ?

dave p

Dave,

I was thinking the same and will investigate a bit more when i get the chance. Was thinking of bringing it in to a neon repair place and seeing what they can do.

By the way, what part of Vancouver do you live in?

Pat

Hey Pat. North Van - top of Lonsdale and a bit. Are you in the area?

I believe these lights have special wiring/connection requirements but I am not positive about that.

Dave p

Dave,

I am in Vancouver... we should meet up sometime and drive the Sea to Sky.

Does anyone know how much of a hassle removing the bumper assembly is? I looked this morning, and it is not obvious.

Pat

That'd be great Pat. March is full but April gets better Drop me a note thru the website or private email thru here and I will send you my cell

dave p

This just happened to me this a.m., as I pulled into Peter Pan for service on a bunch of other things. I looked and the right signal was indeed flashing, but quickly. So, not sure what's out. But I also have a convertible top motor that works only part of the way down, I need a new battery, my AC is not blowing cold, and my credit card apparently needs a big hit.... wish me luck.
    Greg AH61930 - 2003 - Silver/Black

Interestingly - I just did a long charge. Light is normal again. This could be coincidence. I'll post if it loses the lower portion of the light and starts blinking quickly again

I'm 99% that it is a failing tail light assembly. They seem to die a slow death. They'll fast blink rarely, then more, then all the time. If it starts on your car, it's just a matter of time before it's toast.
    thegunguy

Alas. I guess I'm not going to last long sailing on a river in Egypt.
    Greg AH61930 - 2003 - Silver/Black

There is also the indicator ballast/rectifier thingy, that should always be checked first as it was the cause of the rapid blinking on two of my Z8's, and was a a very quick and simple $125 dollar fix. If my memory serves me right, if one is out and the other blinking fast, that's the fix, but if one is blinking normally and the other is on fast-blink, then that's the lamp unit itself.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Agree with Rifle snd Andrew. It most likely is your tailight lamp .....
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    There is also the indicator ballast/rectifier thingy, that should always be checked first as it was the cause of the rapid blinking on two of my Z8's, and was a a very quick and simple $125 dollar fix. If my memory serves me right, if one is out and the other blinking fast, that's the fix, but if one is blinking normally and the other is on fast-blink, then that's the lamp unit itself.
    Have not been posting for awhile, and thankfully don't have this problem...but the info here and all you guys, especially Andrew, are the best!!!
    Charles Guerin