Thread: Thoughts on New Ford GT? Shelby GT350?

Thoughts on New Ford GT? Shelby GT350?

We have a few Z8 owners who also have a Ford GT in their garage. With that said, anyone else excited about the new 2017 Ford GT shown this week at the 2015 Detroit Auto Show? Based on its appearance alone I want one!

http://www.caranddriver.com/2015-detroit-auto-show

With its V8 including a rev happy flat-plane crankshaft and track purpose build, I also like the 2016 Shelby GT350 planned for release later this year. Who knew that Ford had intentions and capabilities to produce such cars.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

I'm super excited by both, and think they will add greatly to the automotive landscape. I especially like the bold design of the GT, IMHO it's a superb combination of old and new.

However I think Ii'm getting to be an old commudhgeon because I don't actually want either, the only thing I want is my Z8, and and all electric SUV for my my daily driving duties.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I like what Chris Bangle said when Ford came out with the retro Mustang (or maybe it was the ultra-retro Thunderbird): "What's next, the Model A?"

That said, I LOVED the 50th anniversary Mustang concept and the GT350 at the LA Auto Show... just because. And the fact that the Ford GT is a better GT40 than the GT40 makes an argument for modern technology.

Now, if we could only get laser lighting for the Z8...

Great looking car, but shoulda had a V8!

Been driving my sons maclaren spyder last week or so. Twin turbo v8... Fun, but not my cup of tea. No stick... Hard to get in and out of, even with the roof down. But crazy fast... Too fast? Hard to have fun without at least doubling the limit.... Or more. 140 in a 40 is stupid... But fun. I really like my tracked out cayman s and z8 better. And neither one makes me feel like a tool.

The aero-effect shape of the rear half of the GT is stunning. A V8 might be a better choice for a supercar, but it appears that it would be a tight fit without altering the shape.

It seems that supercars are going exclusively to dual clutch transmissions - for good reasons that I fully understand. I test drove a spectacular 458 Italia a few weeks back and things happened so quickly that a 6mt would have been out of place in the car. However, much to my surprise, I found the Z8 and the R8 V10 6mt more engaging. Audi is dropping the 6mt in the next gen R8 so the current model might be the last of a dying breed.
    2002 red/crema Z8, gone, but not forgotten

Sport Button On
    I wonder what this will do to the value of the last Ford GT. Imagine if BMW released a new Z8 or successor to the 507.

One reason to go with a V6 in the new one is to maintain the cachet of the previous GT—which will no doubt soon be known as the REAL GT....

And cachet has little to do with real performance. Marc Surer had (and still has) the best 507 because he kept taking it back for modifications (and to Dunlop for disc brakes), because at first it wasn't fast enough and then it wouldn't SLOW DOWN fast enough. The Z8 was a deliberate "halo" car meant to deliver what Gordon Murray once told me was the best definition of a sports car: a very fast delivery system for two people heading for a weekend in the south of France. The fact that the Z4 is more agile, and perhaps faster—depending on your metric—is utterly beside the point. The Z8 was (and is) a self-defined milestone car in BMW's history. Note that they are now ramping up production for the i8 because of high demand; they did no such thing with the Z8, understanding the long-term value of exclusivity.

Random thoughts...

Curmudgeon? Hardly, the Z8 is a fun car to drive and if you're like me, it just feels good to behind the wheel. Why change?

V6 vs V8? Ford is touting its EcoBoost line of engines, so why not put a 600+ HP V6 version in the 2017 GT. That application of an EcoBoost engine can only help Ford with its branding.

Too fast? Too automated? For power and speed, this is the decade to be a car guy or gal. Having said that, how fast to 60 mph do you need to go? In my youth, 0 - 60 in 10 seconds was considered good, now its approaching low 3's for some cars. I like the feel of rowing through the gears, so I'll trade a little time for the pleasure of working my way through the gears.

2005 Ford GT prices? Unless current GT owners want to sell their car for the 2017 version creating more supply than current demand, I don't see much of a price drop.

My Best,

Ed

Sport Button On
    Quote Originally Posted by EDEZ8 View Post

2005 Ford GT prices? Unless current GT owners want to sell their car for the 2017 version creating more supply than current demand, I don't see much of a price drop.

But the 2017 version may result in less demand for the 2005 one. I don't think the price will necessarily drop, but a lot of potential buyers will at least consider the new one now.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWM5er View Post
    But the 2017 version may result in less demand for the 2005 one. I don't think the price will necessarily drop, but a lot of potential buyers will at least consider the new one now.
    Not if the new one is upward of $250,000.

Joe

That's a good point, has there been any word on pricing?
    Andrew Macpherson

Most think it will be north of $250,000.

Joe

I read on another forum that the price on the new Ford GT has not been officially announced, but it was overheard at the Detroit Auto Show to be an MSRP of 175k. If that 175k rumor holds up, in the cascade (high to low) of MSRP pricing for mid-engined cars from the major automakers its the GT, NSX, i8 and R8. Which would you pick?

On the MSRP, there's a consignment dealership in the SF Bay Area listing an i8 witn an MSRP of 136k for 200k
    My Best,

Ed

Just by its looks I'd take the Ford. I loved driving the R8, but despite its excellence it didn't set light to my desires. The i8 is clever, interesting and effiecent, but not soul stiring. The NSX will be great I'm sure, Alonso seems excited to want one, but I think it looks pretty ordinary. Honestly if I was really in the market for those kind of mid engined thrills, it'd have to be a McLaren for me.
    Andrew Macpherson

The GT hands down! I love the 2006 and this is exciting. I agree with Andrew, the Mc Laren is fabulous! It is a rush to drive and still makes a great daily driver.

Joe

DSC Off
    GT owners like myself are anxiously awaiting the new GT, if they are producing low numbers such as 1200 as is the rumor. It will be a feeding frenzy! Crazy dealer markups leaving it for the ultra rich and famous. Most current GT owners who would like to purchase one may be shut out!
    As far as current GT values still headed up, the cars are too different, one analogue (like Z8), one "digital".

Quote Originally Posted by BMWM5er View Post

My thoughts exactly. Ford supposedly lost a ton of money on each last gen GT built (rumored to be about 500k per car to build) but such is the nature of creating a halo car. Does any one know what BMW lost on each Z8 BTW?

My second point is as long as they up the horse power from the last Gen GT and cure its nasty tendencies for twitchy catastrophic handling at the limit they should have a winner. I just wonder why the kept the hood radiator cooling slots. I realize maintaining some identifying features with previous models is important for marketing but you almost relegate the car to track work or day trips with the tiny amount of trunk space left. Thats one of the things I like about the Z8, the trunk space. My friends with their Lambos and Maclarens and other makes marvel how useful it is.
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Dinan low restriction carbon fiber airboxes
    Dinan high flow air mass meters
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    custom short shift linkage
    cdv modifacation
    Quaiffe differential/military grade gear polishing
    19 inch 3 piece HRE mags/Toyo tires
    Custom crossdrilled/slotted rotors
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    custom Sachs clutch /pressure plate
    Dinan pedal set

Wow, that's got to be some seriously bad accounting, I would have thought that the costs for making any car are pretty clear in the market, and saying they lost 500k a car is like saying it cost 650k to build, which seems an impossibly high figure. I'm pretty sure that BMW made a good profit on the Z8, they were originally only going to do 1500, so I would think that was the break even point, everything after that was cream.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sorry I could have been clearer. The GT sold for about 150K -160K MSRP so they lost about 300 plus per car figuring in the sale price. I know of one guy in my club who has 5(!) GTs who thinks they should be worth 1 million each in the next 5 years. I'm not sure if I disagree noting what they are trading for now unless this gen holds the demand low.

Remember BMW lost a ton of money on the original 507, it was only the Isetta that was keeping them afloat.
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Dinan low restriction carbon fiber airboxes
    Dinan high flow air mass meters
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    custom short shift linkage
    cdv modifacation
    Quaiffe differential/military grade gear polishing
    19 inch 3 piece HRE mags/Toyo tires
    Custom crossdrilled/slotted rotors
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    custom Sachs clutch /pressure plate
    Dinan pedal set

DSC Off
    The new GT is stunning, best new car easily at Detroit auto show. No one paid attention to the new NSX (don't get me wrong NSX a great car, i used to own one). Interesting since its debut (new GT), 05-06 GT at auctions prices stalling at 225K for nice cars. However long term should go up especially if new GT are made in limited quantities as is the rumor (1200?). Also pricing will be north of 250K easily. I doubt however 05-06 cars will hit 1M. If anyone interested in 05-06 cars now is probably the time!!

Also of note the Z8 pricing guide at Hagerty took hugh jump the last quarter! Hagerty finally caught up with reality.

Reality, schmeality. If we can't keep them running as BMW's halo cars, then those who bought them as investments will be hosed. We who bought them as very expensive Life Fulfillment Appliances will just be like those trying to maintain any other car made of various elements built of Unobtanium.

When my taillights fail, look for a black Z8 with round trailer lights screwed to the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch View Post
    When my taillights fail, look for a black Z8 with round trailer lights screwed to the trunk.
    I'm smiling thinking about the public response such a setup would generate. "I tried to be a good steward for maintaining my BMW Z8, but the promised 50-year part supply came up a little short".
    My Best,

Ed

😃😃😃 I can see that going over well with the judges at the CCA corral!! No gold star for you or Buffy, Mr. Editor!
    Andrew Macpherson

But they'll be LED trailer lights!

Sport Button On
    The new GT is the "coolest" car I've ever seen. Obviously it's all a personal choice. I have a '06 GT and can't imagine a scenario where the new GT would hurt the prior cars value but, like all future things, we'll see.

Btw, I just bought a '15 GT3. These "new" cars are crazy fun and I concur with one of the earlier posters, having a manual (especially on the track) on a car this fast and that handles like it does wouldn't work for me. That said, no disrespect to the manual tranny crowd.

The pricing on the new Ford GT was announced at the Geneva Auto Show this week at $400,000 with an annual production run of only 250 cars. I am curious to know if there is a market for a Ford at that price point as well as the customer experience for a Ford GT buyer versus someone purchasing a Ford F150.
    http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-new...-many-of-them/
    My Best,

Ed