Thread: Stuck lugbolts

DSC Off

Stuck lugbolts

Help... Our '13 MX5 has a stuck lug-bolt, and I mean stuck. Broke two cheater bars, tried Liquid Wrench, impact wrenches, brought it to Discount Tires and Tires Plus and nobody can get it out. Currently at BMW for 3 days and they told me today they are out of ideas, short of destroying things. BMA NA has no help options that I know of.
    Anybody have ANY ideas??

Tom
    Z8LVR

That's a pretty crazy situation, and I guess one that may demand a new hub.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off
    The Z8 is the same lug design, and also aluminum wheels which they tell me is the problem. These are factory tightened lugbolts - the wheels have never been off the vehicle. Normally one heats up a lugnut with a torch and it expands. This is a bolt. Heat it up and it gets tighter. Discount Tires broke a 4 ft cheater bar, yes broke it. I broke a Snap-On socket (no cheater bar, and that's my story to Snap-On and I'm sticking to it). I will probably have to bring to a shop to have it drilled out. BMW will not cover it then, and the local dealer has given me the impression of giving up. Probably a disgruntled BMW employee telling his buddy "Watch them try and get this wheel off..."

aka 3 + 1 wheel MX5

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Z8LVR View Post
    BMW will not cover it then, and the local dealer has given me the impression of giving up.
    The wheel has never been off ? And BMW won't cover that ? Local dealer giving up ? I find that strange.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

The car is still under warranty. Have you tried to invoke that?
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

DSC Off
    BMW drilled out the bolt today, no cost. They claim it has never happened, as did Discount Tire. Plenty of tough ones, but none a cheater bar and release agent couldn't handle.

Thanks!!

Tom

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Z8LVR View Post
    BMW drilled out the bolt today, no cost. They claim it has never happened, .....

Thanks!!

Tom
    Fritz at the factory must have had his torque wrench at the wrong setting when he assembled the car. Glad that the dealer fixed it though, at no cost, as one would expect.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

DSC Off
    "Fritz" is asking what a torque wrench is...