Thread: Who owns an e39 M5 along with their Z8?

Who owns an e39 M5 along with their Z8?

After acquiring my Z8 in October 2013, I am still enjoying the ownership experience beyond expectation. I particularly find it intoxicating to run it up through the gears on those occasions where conditions allow. Sadly, east coast weather is about to put an end to the fun for a few months. In addition, to some degree I have allowed myself to become a victim of the mentality of trying to keep the miles down, with a target of 1500-2000 miles per year. The bottom line is I am not getting enough seat-time behind that s62 motor.

I am now strongly considering the purchase of a 2001-2003 E39 M5. Seems like a logical way to get my s62 fix, with the practicality of a four door sedan. Having previously owned an e39 528, I know the virtues of this platform, as well as some of the pitfalls. I am guessing that some of you may currently own or have owned in the past the e39 M5, and would appreciate your thoughts.

Bill

I have many friends who consider the E39 the ultimate M5. And certainly the S62 engine has proved—proven?—itself over the years, becoming the basis for Dinan's Prototype racing engines for years. (Hmmm: Stevie, since you're not using those anymore, could I save you the trouble of hauling one to the scrapyard?)

Remember when 400 horsepower seemed exorbitant?

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    I have a 1998 540i Sport next to the Z8. V8 with stick and the M suspension but not the M engine. Still... great to drive.

Phil
    61115 Topaz Crema

I have a 2002 M5 that I use as a daily driver. I picked it up in Munich February 18, 2002. I live in Illinois so when the snow comes I put snow tires on all four. I live on a high hill. It has 104,000 miles and has not had a problem. It is a great every day car. I also had a 2000 M5 that I sold when it had 75,000 miles. They are great cars. My Alpina that I bought in July of 2003 does not go out in the snow.

E39 M5

Three years ago I found a 2002 M5 with 57k miles. It now has 85k miles and I enjoy it every time I drive it. Even more than my F10 M5. Great car. Truly the four door Carrera it was described as in the magazines of the day.

2001 BMW Z8
    2014 Porsche Carrera TTS
    2005 Ford GT
    2002 BMW M5
    1972 Chevrolet Blazer
    1972 GMC Jimmy
    1966 Oldsmobile 442 Convertible

DSC Off
    Man, I haven't been on this site in ages..... used to be on it all the time when I first got my Z8 in 2009.... need to check in more....
    In any event, I have a 2001 e39 m5 with the full dinan s2 package, and had this before the z8.
    bought it with 19k miles from a guy who put 50k in upgrades in the car back in 2006. the full dinan s2 package plus brembos and to many things to list...I have a 109k miles on it and it is still my daily driver.
    I simply love it. 470 hp, 419 lbs of torgue, and, I can get all 3 of my boys in the back seat.
    I have winter rims (simple beyern mesh) and tires and the rest of the year she sits on a nice set of HRE's.
    what more could you possibly want?
    Great great car.

And, in case you didn't see any of my posts from years ago, i put basically the full dinan s2 package on my z8. And, that is even more insane than the m5 as you just feel the power so much more with the top down
    I of course still have all of the stock parts in a box for collector's sake etc....

Sport Button On - DSC Off Doug Dolan's Avatar
    Hey Craig,
    Good to hear from you again. We should get the MD, DC, VA Z8's together for a drive sometime. Can't let the left coasters have all the fun! BTW, I'm just down the road from you in Chevy Chase, MD.
    Doug Dolan
    61297 - Stratus / Crema

E39 M5 is true classic in the same sense as the Z8. Fun to drive, great sounds and timeless style.
    Mine just kicked over 18k, so still a youngster, although its my 3rd time around. All the Dinan stuff except engine mods.

Well, I just pulled the trigger on an e39 M5. My wife and I are down in Naples, Florida on vacation and I was scanning the local ads and came across a 2002 M5 in Carbon Black/ caramel. The car is immaculate and seemingly well maintained- I guess I will find out how well maintained when Sue and I drive it back to New Jersey (1300 miles) next weekend.

I need this car like a hole in the head, but with the Z8 getting ready for a long winter's nap, I will still be able to get my s62 grins. Thanks to those who commented on their experiences with the e39 M5, it helped me make the decision. Will post some pictures of Beauty (Z8) and the Beast (M5) once I get home.

Bill

Congrats Bill, hope the trip home is a good one. John

+1 Congrats

The dealer (Roadsport USA in Campbell) helping me list my Z8 happens to have an e39 M5 with just under 19,000 miles. How tempting!
    -Jimmy C

Smile

We had an uneventful trip back from Forida with the "new" 2002 M5, covering 1400 miles in an enjoyable two day road trip. The car ran perfectly and consumed no oil, which can be a problem with these cars. Snow is forecast for the northeast tomorrow, so today I took the Z8 out for a final warm-up run, followed by a dosing with Stabil and then under the cover she went. I'll try to get her out once a month when the roads are clear of salt and sand. I also put the Boxster away.

So the M5 becomes my daily driver. It really is a fun car, sort of like a four-door Z8 but not as good looking. On the plus side, it can handle two sets of golf clubs as well as several passengers. Probably need to throw some all-weather tires on her next week.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Bill

Sport Button On
    I don't have an E39 M5 now but bought one new back in 2000 and drove it daily for 3 years. The S62 engine should be in the petrol engine hall of fame (is there such a thing?) and my experience with the E39 in general and the S62 engine in particular was a major influencer in my decision to acquire a Z8 about 5 years ago. Had I not had such a great experience with the M5 I doubt I would have pursued the Z8 that I consider a long term keeper.

The nice thing about having the M5 is having the freedom to explore the capabilities of the S62 engine with greater abandon than I do with the Z8. Although I try to be careful with all my vehicles, the knowledge that a catastrophic mechanical failure with the M5 would not have the same consequences as a similar event with the Z8 gives me a little more latitude to get aggressive. It is also a very nice daily driver, it goes, turns, and stops as well as most newer cars.

Z8 Novice
    I have a question. It has been suggested that the model years 2002 and 2003 of the e39 M5 are superior to earlier models. Does anyone know why cars made the last two years of this model would be superior? I am looking at a 2001 and a 2002 with similar milage (about 50,000). I figure a good repurchase inspection should discover significant issues. Thanks in advance for any advise.

I believe the main differences are an upgrade to the on-board computer screen/nav system. Cars with build dates starting January 2001 have the VANOS upgrades, so mechanically the post-12/2000 cars are mechanically undifferentiated. EAG (Enthusiast Auto Group) in Ohio is known for dealing in the finest, low mile e39 M5's and buys only 2002-2003 cars, which is one of the reasons why those model years seem to command a premium. Not certain why they have decided against post-12/2000 model year 2001 cars. If you haven't already visited it, the m5board.com site contains a wealth of information on these cars.

Good luck with your purchase, I have been very happy with my 2002 version.

Bill

Yes, Bill is correct, a search on the M5 board will give you all the info you could want. My car is a 2000m.y. and it had a vanos upgrade kit installed by Dinan early in its life ($2k in 04). I bought it because it was pristine with all the Dinan goodies added, upgraded stereo and nav etc.AND only 16k miles. I thought I would drive it more but don't and am thinking about selling it when the weather gets better.

Dashboard display pixels seems to be a big issue, not sure if it is a concern for all cars.

Quote Originally Posted by riverflyer View Post
    Yes, Bill is correct, a search on the M5 board will give you all the info you could want. My car is a 2000m.y. and it had a vanos upgrade kit installed by Dinan early in its life ($2k in 04). I bought it because it was pristine with all the Dinan goodies added, upgraded stereo and nav etc.AND only 16k miles. I thought I would drive it more but don't and am thinking about selling it when the weather gets better.

Dashboard display pixels seems to be a big issue, not sure if it is a concern for all cars.
    I had pixels go bad on my 2000M5 when I had it; fixed under warranty.
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Pixel issues are fairly common, but apparently are not an expensive fix. The M5 board covers this in detail, along with identifying vendors who can do the repair. Fortunately, this is not a problem on my car.

Bill

How is the M5 in the snow? My main complaint with BMW RWD products is they are a bit tail happy and not great in the white stuff.Bill you have seen my drive way!That's why I went with a E class Mercedes wagon, not as fast or sexy but goes like a tank in the snow (the new AMG option for this car now has AWD and 570 hp so it does have me rethinking I should have upgraded)
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Dinan low restriction carbon fiber airboxes
    Dinan high flow air mass meters
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    custom short shift linkage
    cdv modifacation
    Quaiffe differential/military grade gear polishing
    19 inch 3 piece HRE mags/Toyo tires
    Custom crossdrilled/slotted rotors
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    custom Sachs clutch /pressure plate
    Dinan pedal set

I have not driven my M5 in the snow, I use my wife's Audi A6 Avant quattro when the white stuff is around. However, for many years I had an e39 528i manual, and I have to say it was not a great snow car. But when the roads are dry, the M5 is absolutely a blast. And yes, having seen your driveway, you need 4wd more than just about anyone I know!

Bill

This reminds me being caught in a snowfall in Michigan in January 2004 and getting stuck in my driveway for days! Self inflicted injury though, I had summer tires and nowhere to go...

P.S. Note license plate "M BMW 5". Today I have "Z BMW 8".

Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S