Thread: Large soft grey rectangular cloth

Sport Button On

Large soft grey rectangular cloth

I had been given to understand this cloth with Z8 stamped in black on it was to protect the soft top rear window which I recently had replaced. But neither the BMW dealer her in the UK nor the fitter they subcontracted the work to had any idea how it is supposed to fit. Clarification required please. Chris

Hi Chris,

There are 2 Z8 stamped cloth: the cover for the hardtop and the garage cover for the car. The rear window is covered by a cloth with stamped BMW
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Sport Button On
    Thank you. Sorry. You are right it has BMW stamped on it - but how is one supposed to fit it?

It should have two hooks on it with elastic bands. the hooks attach to the soft top at the side window openings?
    Greg AH61930 - 2003 - Silver/Black

Sport Button On
    Thank you. I'll try it tomorrow. Chris

Sport Button On - DSC Off Doug Dolan's Avatar
    See page 98 in the Owner's Manual for a picture of the installation.
    Doug Dolan
    61297 - Stratus / Crema

Sport Button On
    Hi Doug, I have turned every page in my Manual and have found nothing. Page 98 in my Manual is about tyre pressures. My car is May 2001 - maybe they changed the Manual for yours. Chris

No mention of the protective cloth in my manual either (January 2001 production). Could the cloth have been a mid-series addition?

Bill

Look on the forum in the history section:PDF files to download (manuals, reference & original press articles)

In the first manual you find it on page 98
    Ton

The PDF version is dated September, 2001. My manual indicates it was printed in September 2000. The verbiage regarding installation of the protective cloth, along with the diagram, have been inserted into the PDF version where they did not exist in the printed version.

So my question remains, was the protective cloth provided for early 2001 cars and earlier? My car did not come with one, but it could have been lost prior to my ownership. Do any original owners of early cars know if the cloth was delivered along with their car?

Hi Bill,

I have an original US owners manual printed VIII/2001 ( part number 01410156337) and there the cloth is seen on page 98. According to the Z8 club it was standard equipment.
    Ton

I wonder if it became standard equipment sometime during 2001. Something obviously changed that prompted BMW to insert the instructions for the cloth into the owners manual. One of life's little mysteries, I suppose.

My early 2001 did not come with the cloth.

If a picture helps, here's an image of the rear window protector attaching to the soft top.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  76.8 KB

In my Z8 search, I found a mid year 2001 that had the rear window protector. The seller didn't have the title, but that's another story...

I don't believe BMW is making the Z8 specific cover, but a similar version exist for the Z3 that can be readily found on eBay.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

One of life's little mysteries, I suppose
    :-) I will look in my dutch manual: probably printed in 2000.
    Ton