Thread: Wrapping a car

Wrapping a car

Does anyone have any experience with wrapping a car to change it's color? I have a black DB9 that I am thinking about wrapping to change it to silver but I do not know anyone that has ever wrapped a car. My main questions are how long does the color hold, can you tell it has been wrapped, and what happens to the original paint when the wrap is removed at some point in the future. I realize like all things in life, finding a shop that has experience and a great reputation is crucial to success.
    Last edited by Ouray; September 13th 2014 at 17:32. Reason: Meant to post in chat room

Depending on how much you drive the car, the wrap should be good for 3 to 4 years,I think. My understanding, is that it will not damage the paint, but rather protect it. You will be able to tell its a wrap if you look closely, and when you open the doors or hood etc. you will see the original black painted areas that cannot be wrapped. I have never had a color wrap done on any of my cars, but have seen many up close, and they look amazing. If your interior is black, the door jams etc will blend nicely.

I bought a car last year that had a very expensive wrap job done by its previous owner a year or two before with less than 1,000 miles driven since wrap completion.

It is a frosted matte black over black paint. People think it is OEM paint. However, after some driving and a couple of hand wash jobs I start noticing those little intricate spots, where body shapes get complicated and where door gaps cut through design elements. The wrap starts lifting there a little.

When I had Classic BMW in Plano, TX, replicate the design elements of BMW's Individual trim for my silver Z8 in black, I opted for the real thing. Not only was paint less expensive than the wrap option, but Classic did a fabulous job in transferring the paint scheme from the many photos I took in Germany onto my car. You cannot feel the transition from silver to black running your hand across the body.

Just recently I talked with a gentleman here in Dallas who spent over 5 grand to have his car wrapped by the best outfit in town - so he thought - early this year. Following another hot Texas summer he got so fed up with his wrap that he peeled it off himself. No harm done to the underlying paint finish is the only positive message out of this experience.

If you are a perfectionist and committed to changing your car's color, a good paint job is the way to go.

I decided not to remove the wrap from my other car at this point because nobody really notices what is starting to bother me and the wrap is great paint protection. But I know the day will come, where I simply cannot stand looking at the growing problem spots anymore!
    ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Z8 Individual Paint Job

Here it is:

ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Thanks for the information. I was thinking about wrapping it as I was concerned that the piano black gloss paint would be too hard to maintain over time. Instead of wrapping the car I have decided to sell. It is in great shape so the local dealer made a very good offer as his dealership is new and he wants a couple of great used cars on the lot.

What will you get next?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Great question, and the same one my wife keeps asking me. I am not in a rush to get another toy. I know that is lunacy speaking, but my sports car interest seem to be declining. Not that there are not great cars out there, but more of a been there sort of attitude seems to be developing. Who knows, when spring comes I may just get the urge to repurchase my Alpina…...

I know just how you feel, I went through exactly that with my track car addiction. I think the thing that really makes the Z8 so special is the people, and of course the amazing driving roads we have here in California. The three years I lived in NYC were the only years of my life that I didn't have an internal combustion engined steed to speed around in. IMHO the NE isn't what I'd call a drivers paradise, if it was I wouldn't have moved to California!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Funny, I was going to recommend a track car for a year or two to rekindle the spirit!