Thread: BMW Vintage & Classic Car Club - Tour de Colorado - June 2014

Thumbs up BMW Vintage & Classic Car Club - Tour de Colorado - June 2014

Day 1 of the BMW Vintage & Classic Car Club's fabulous Tour de Colorado starts in Colorado Springs at the Garden of the Gods Club.

22 teams gather for the first meet and greet and to pick up their road books and credentials. Goetz Pfafflin - club president and organizer extraordinaire - welcomes an impressive variety of roundel badged classics, listed by model year:

1939 BMW 321 Drauz Cabriolet
    1956 BMW 502 Cabriolet V8
    1966 BMW 1600 GT
    1970 BMW 1600-2 Cabriolet
    1972 BMW 2002 tii
    1973 BMW 2002 tii
    1973 BMW Bavaria
    1973 BMW 3.0 CSL
    1987 BMW M6
    1988 BMW 325 ix
    1990 BMW Z1
    1990 BMW Z1
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
    2001 BMW Z8
    2001 BMW Z8
    2002 BMW Z8
    2003 BMW Z8
    2011 BMW Z4
    2013 BMW M5 - prematurely sold his Z8 Alpina!
    2014 BMW X3 - organizer support vehicle courtesy of Murray BMW Denver
    2014 BMW 750il - airconditioned support vehicle for the honorable 321.

Z cars were well presented and while Z8s actually outnumbered all other model groups they certainly did not outshine them. The photos of participating cars certainly speak for themselves. I for one wish I had one each to explore and play with!

I am starting this thread and will add one for each day with the intent and hope that other tour participants will chime in and add their best shots and stories.

ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Thumbs up BMW Vintage & Classic Car Club - Tour de Colorado 2014-06-11 Pikes Peak

Wednesday morning we started our Pikes Peak Hill Climb up to 14,110 feet in breathtaking scenery, through stimulating turns and quickly changing weather conditions.

ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Thumbs up BMW Vintage & Classic Car Club - Tour de Colorado 2014-06-11 US Airforce Academy

On we went from Pikes Peak through heavy rain clouds and an occasional sprinkle to the visitor center of the US Airforce Academy followed by a photo op at their B52 display.

ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Z8Mania
    Thank you again for these amazing pictures and sharing the experience with us.

Looks wonderful, so wishing I was there too!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Thumbs up BMW Vintage & Classic Car Club - Tour de Colorado 2014-06-12 Mount Crested Butte

Thursday morning we set out on our 200 mile drive from Colorado Springs via Florissant to Crested Butte, Colorado's wildflower capital. Another beautiful trip through alpine country side and rolling hills up Monarch Pass where an obnoxious road maintenance crew refused to move their truck out of camera focus.

ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Wow, now I'm officially jealous! :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Me too! Wish I could have gone!

Thumbs up BMW Vintage & Classic Car Club - Tour de Colorado 2014-06-13 Crested Butte to Durango

Friday had several routes in store for us. Z8Doc and I decided to take the long way from Crested Butte to Durango. About 260 miles of phenomenal roads starting out with 30 miles of dirt road up to an elevation of 9,980 ft via Kebler Pass.

Rallye Meister Dirk - who had crafted an amazing booklet with inch by inch driving instructions for each day's tours - took the lead up Kebler Pass in his anything but stock 2002 tii rocket. Z8Doc followed in top down mode while I took spot 3, top up to protect my camera .... oh yes, and my better half of course holding on to it for her dear life.

I am used to getting peppered with rocks and road debris following Andrew very closely to please his camera. The mountain dirt road outdid it all. Talk about eating dust! Worse yet, the Z8's fat tires sent me hydroplaning and fishtailing across that gravel surface rather unpredictably and took me out of my comfort zone more than once.

The sensible thing to do was to ease up on the gas pedal and stop for photo ops here and there which we did. At this point I should mention that our fellow Texans in their lovely 321 Cabrio hardly ever eased up on anything. It was amazing to see that 75 years old automobile fly through turns and up the hill climbs. What a sports car and spirited pilot to boot!

ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Thumbs up BMW Vintage & Classic Car Club - Tour de Colorado 2014-06-14 Durango to Telluride

Saturday morning started quite relaxed with a stroll through downtown Durango where we happened upon a car show. No BMWs but an entertaining collection of American and European vehicles. Plenty to check out and reason enough to reach our next destination later than planned.

Our photo op at the impressive Mesa Verde National Park Museum ended with a Park Rangeress chasing us away for blocking public access to the facilities. Not enough open space out there I guess, but for who? There is not a soul to be seen in our pictures. We decided to take it out on a Corvette down the road

ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Wow, wow and wow, I'm crazy jealous now!
    Andrew Macpherson

Looks awesome !!!
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

DSC Off
    Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Thumbs up BMW Vintage & Classic Car Club - Tour de Colorado 2014-06-15 Telluride to Gateway Canyon

Sunday morning we spent in Telluride a charming, old mining town that transitioned well from minerals to tourism. Then followed a roughly 100 mile drive through Gateway Canyon to Gateway Canyon Resort where we had a private tour of the most impressive automobile museum followed by dinner and awards for all participants recognizing their abilities to follow instructions and perform within time lines.

About 15 miles away from our destination our path crossed the unofficial one of a local mountain weasel, prairie dog or chipmunk. Things went too fast to be sure. Fact is I did not run over it. The varmint banged his head against a plastic cover protecting the underside of the left front wheel well. I saw the little rascal resting stretched out on the pavement in my rear view mirror while the torn plastic part screeched across the asphalt up front. Luckily my copilot had brought along for our trip two checkered flag shoe laces to prevent her hat from flying off. That hat came off after all and the plastic part went back on. Next trip I'll bring duct tape.

ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Thumbs up BMW Vintage & Classic Car Club - Tour de Colorado 2014-06-16 CO National Monument to Beaver Creek

Monday was the last day of our tour which took us from Gateway Canyon Resort via Colorado National Monument to Beaver Creek. More breathtaking views and a hugely appropriate finger puppet chipmunk presented to me by Team Z8Doc . It does not get any better!

ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

I can't take it, I hate that I missed one of the best looking drives ever!!
    Andrew Macpherson

We certainly missed you Andrew and all our Z8 friends. The good thing is that Colorado is not going anywhere - within our life times. Maybe we can pull off another "Meet in the Middle" one day.

Goetz and his team really did an outstanding job organizing this week. Hotels, restaurants, secure parking all were excellent. Dirk's super detailed road book with precise driving instructions never missed a turn and was essential to the success of this concept.

Driving 22 cars, representing 7 decades of BMW automobile history, in convoy on public roads for an entire week would have been more of a challenge than fun. Goetz managed this rally style by allowing set time slots for daily departures and destination points. Each team was given time cards which were stamped by organizer staff upon morning departure and at arrival. Points were earned for timely performance and deducted when missing a time slot.

It was not about being the fastest team but all about mastering the daily routes within legal speed limits and with some extra time to enjoy the scenery and attractions. Each team went at their own pace, solo or in small groups and showed up at group events on time - unless they had to deal with force majeure or chipmunks en route. This concept worked very well and kept everybody together when it mattered from an organizational perspective.

I highly recommend this tour model for our next big Z8 gathering. When and where do we go? Who is joining us?
    ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    beautiful!!