Thread: Visiting Munich

DSC Off

Visiting Munich

Hi I plan to visit Munich with my family this month end for a few days. I will visit the BMW Museum there (and if time permits, the Porsche and Mercedes museums in Stuttgart). Any tips or advice on how to make the most of the visit? i.e. how much time should I allocate to plan my schedule? Would it be better to drive (rent a car) or take the train to Stuttgart? I've never experienced renting a car and driving in Europe.

Thanks very much.

Ken

Z8Mania
    Hi Ken,
    I suggest:

The train. On vacation I seek to minimize stress and chaos. If I was traveling by myself or maybe with a few guy friends, maybe the adventure of renting a car would be worth it, but otherwise I would stick with the train. Make sure to pay particular attention to the check boxes for smoking cabin or not. Its easy to confuse the two--- ask me how I know...

If you've owned BMW M cars, it might be worth while to contact BMW M and see if you can visit them. Keep in mind it won't be a huge production like the new BMW Welt. It will be a small industrial building but it can be very interesting.

I would plan at least half a day for BMW Welt and the same for the other car museums. I would definitely visit Porsche, Mercedes and you might as well do Audi also if you can make it happen. Tell your hosts you are coming by train, sometimes they might arrange for your transport to and from the train and might also treat you to a nice lunch too.

Make sure to give yourself at least half a day to walk around Munich and take in the city. Its a unique and very interesting city with the mountains in the background etc.

General advice if you are coming from the US, check out the Global Traveler program. Its really worth the hassle of setting up.

I'd also see if you can rent a car in Munich to drive up into the Alps, its actually a lovely easy days drive to cross the Alps to Lake Como, and its one of the prettiest drives I've done, here's a link....BMW Z8
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off
    Jerry, thanks for the good practical advice. I will follow your lead as I will be traveling with my wife and 2 boys. We actually have 3 full days there so I think we have enough time for the car museums plus other sightseeing.

Ken

DSC Off
    I took a train from the east (Baden Baden). it went right through Stuttgart and could see the mercedes factory from the train (though did not stop). Train brings you to center of Munich, take a hotel in center and enjoy Munich which a great city. To get out to the BMW plant and museum it is an easy subway ride there. Museum is amazing! After seeing the Z8 next to the 507 convinced me to purchase my Z8!! We were lucky there was an opening that day for a factory tour-which is a must!! Truly awe inspiring!! So make reservation for the tour ahead if possible

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 01BlueZ8 View Post
    Would it be better to drive (rent a car) or take the train to Stuttgart? I've never experienced renting a car and driving in Europe.
    Train ? Are you kidding ?

Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

DSC Off
    Hi Dirk, I like the way you think! That picture of the speedometer at over 150 mph is most compelling!

Ken

I held the M6 stover 165 for miles on the freeway headed south from Munich up into the Alps. I love trains too, but you're going to where some of the best driving roads on earth are wound around gorgeous mountains, so taking the train means missing some incredible driving.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off
    I totally agree if driving an option do it! But trains are easy and much better than anything we have! ( I am in Germany twice a year ). Enjoy the freedom of the German autobahn while it lasts! The rest of Europe is going radar crazy! I was in Italy 2 weeks ago and radar is everywhere! They will get you through the rental company (photo radar). It's becoming no fun anymore!

The trip from Munich by car through Austria (Gross Glockner pass) towards Italian Dolomites than heading north (Stelvio pass) towards Graubunden in Switzerland ( Davos, Sankt Moritz) via Central Switzerland towards Stuttgart...one of the best parts of the Autobahn to drive fast and than back to Munich by Autobahn ( one of the slowest parts due to work in progress )
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

If you go to Stuttgart after Munich, you can keep going west to Mulhouse just across the border in France:

Cité de l'Automobile - Collection Schlumpf - Site officiel - gérée par Culturespaces, Mulhouse

If you like Bugattis, you really shouldn't miss it.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Quote Originally Posted by ZMates View Post
    If you go to Stuttgart after Munich, you can keep going east to Mulhouse just across the border in France:

Cité de l'Automobile - Collection Schlumpf - Site officiel - gérée par Culturespaces, Mulhouse

If you like Bugattis, you really shouldn't miss it.
    And since last weekend they have the BMW Z07 in exhibition. It was transferred by Sonja Tietz, president of the Z8 club during the 2014 Z8 club summer trip. It is there till the end of the year
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

DSC Off
    Absolutely go to Mulhouse! I was there last year and they did allot of improvements! Not just bugattis! Incredible collection of European cars(Mercedes , Porsches. And many racing ferraris!). Take a drive through Alsace north on the wine route to Strasbourg ; incredible drive! If interested let me know can plan An itinerary (spend allot of time there since my wife is from that region).

DSC Off
    Thank you for all the suggestions and driving advice. As we only have limited time and our first time to Munich, I should allot time for the customary sightseeing by the family (have to make sure the wife is happy too). Hopefully I can go back again but this time with a group of car enthusiasts like yourselves.

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 01BlueZ8 View Post
    Hopefully I can go back again but this time with a group of car enthusiasts like yourselves.
    2016 is going to be a good year for that. There are many events in the process of being planned to celebrate the 100th anniversary of BMW.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Good to know about Mulhouse, especially for my weekend stays in nearby Basel. For Munich, some of my work colleagues have enjoyed visiting the 1972 Olympic stadium including a swim in the pool once ruled by Mark Spitz near the BMW car museum. Safe travels!
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Z8Mania
    Sounds like good advice. Have fun. I think the driving just depends on what you want out of the trip.

Its sad about Europe.

I was in Deutchland in 2001 just before 9/11 with my daughter and rented a 5 series diesel wagon. It was a hoot on the autobahn and made it quite convenient to get around. I would drive if possible!
    silver/black- 60522