Thread: V10 IN A Z8?

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar

V10 IN A Z8?

I read online that Alpina considering the V12 and V10 install in the Z8. It was reported that the V12 had a sump clearance issue (which V12 I wonder?) but no report about any V10 fitment issues. Personally I think the V10 is one of the best sounding motors of all time and 550 readily available hp is certainly intriguing. Does anyone know how far such a project progressed? Has anyone done such a conversion?

As far as I know there have been no V10 conversions. I think it would be a pretty complex job because the SMG system would require a different steering column, quite apart from all the other plumbing work that would be required in the drivetrain. Also it is not that hard to take the S62 up to 550hp and above. Nowack in Germany do a fully rebuild motor that's good for that, Dinan gets to 575 with their S62 Daytona Prototype race motor, and the supercharged 'Shadowman' cars are making around that too, so there's several much easier ways to get to 550hp.

I love that V10 engine too, and without a doubt the best use of it was in the now sadly defunct Wiesmann GT

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar
    I would never use the SMG. I have already purchased a V10 and a six speed manual transmission with the intention of installing it in my Z1. Since my feet area already getting wet (e.g., have already solved engine management issue for the Z1 and the V10) it seemed a logical progression. Superchargers are not a great setup IMO due to parasitic losses plus the side bolt on chargers have the lag feature of a turbo. Kind of worst of both worlds. I talked to Dinan about their conversion and they laughed when it was suggested about making that car/engine pass CA smog. Not going to happen according to them. The funny thing is that very expensive race V8 they build, and others, costs a lot more money to build than purchasing a V10, is not expected to last as long as the standard M5 V8 and will never make the power of the V10. Running a stock V10 with a good exhaust and ECU tuning delivers an all day long smooth as silk ultra reliable 550 hp. It also sounds exotic as it screams to 8300 RPMs. If anyone has a good condition, high mileage silver/red Z8 or possibly a red Z8 they're looking to sell let me know ....or trade towards mine. I have, according to Dinan, number 12 of 12 Signature 2 Series cars with all the S2 upgrades plus Brembo BBK all four corners, salisbury LSD, HREs, etc

- - - Updated - - -

In addition to that car, that sweet sounding motor has been stuffed in the Z4!

I have considered the v10 in a z8, but no, it won't pass smog, as it is not the original motor or computer. If you end up doing this, please let me drive it!

Sport Button On - DSC Off Kevin's Avatar
    Woooowwww, a Z8 with a V10 would be simply amazing. If you do it please keep us updated with pics, really interested in this!
    2003 Z8 Silver/Black AH62031 (Sold)

Clearing the steering rack is the tricky bit. I believe the VANOS pump is right where the steering rack would be. So even if you dry sump it won't help unless you lose the VANOS. Might be possible to use an electric external VANOS pump. Dailey make a dry sump for the S85...with or without VANOS. Dry sumping will mean losing the AC too.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Z8Mania
    Whats the weight difference from S62 V8-> S65 V10?

A fascinating concept, but my gut feeling take is the V10 motor is simply out of character for the Z8. The Z8 benefits from the high compression, torque everywhere S62 V8, which IMHO is possibly the best motor BMW ever made for a street car- its the flexibility that gets you. The V10 is gobsmacking from the mid range to the high RPMS but below that its a total dog. I think putting that in a smaller lighter car would be really interesting- like the "Franken M3" project- but it seems like the motor is big and heavy and not suited for a small light car. I never liked it in my E60 M5. I had to drive like a total jerk in order to experience any fun. Years later, I have no regrets in selling the E60, but I do have regrets in selling my 2003 M5...

Just rambling. If you really want to do it, I am sure its possible with a lot of effort and also a lot of money.

Bored and stroked, it can make 650hp... Not sure on the torque, but should be at least equal to the s62?

Jerry, I'm with you with the stock V10 in the M6. I loved my week in the Alps driving it, the engine is absolutely intoxicating from 5,000-8,500 rpm, when the whole car comes alive, but below that it really was like a big showboat with a little outboard. In a 2600lb car like the Wiesmann I think the lightness would offset that two-stroke like lack luster bottom end, but still it's a motor that demands very large amounts of open space and no speed limits to really be kept in its sweet spot. As I said in the story I wrote at the time, driving a motor like that below its power band is pointless, but if you use the way it begs to be used, it'd take you straight to jail in the US! The only way to really use it is hard, and that translates to a speed range between 80-170mph.

The great thing about the S62 and the Alpina V8 is it's as much fun doing canyons at 40 as it is on the open road at 80, and doing the occasional desert back road blast into the triple digits, but it never demands to be kept on the boil like the V10 does. I find most of the time I'm between 3-5k in the Z8, and its happy as can be in that range. For an open road car that's perfect, and if I was to get a 6, (which I wouldn't coz I love my SL55 way more!) I'd get the NA V8 as it's a much more suited to that chassis.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

The S85 is closely related to the S62: bore spacing is the same, as is the valve sizing. The S85 can be bored to the same 94mm as the S62 and stroked to 5.9l or so, whereas the S62 is maxed out already. The S85 supposedly weighs about the same amount as the S62 despite the two extra cylinders. What's not to like? For me it is the best engine BMW will ever make now that turbos are the future. The N73 was unfortunately infected by valvetronic.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete