Thread: Limited slip rear?

DSC Off

Limited slip rear?

Anyone know if the Alpina is a limited slip rear end? A burnout (heaven forbid!) shows the passenger side tire driving it only. My Z8 leaves two black marks, the Alpina only one. Worried it may be a rear end issue. Thoughts anyone??
    Tom
    Z8LVR

I think they both have exactly the same open diff from the factory, but I'm not 100% in stone on that. Is your Z8 modified?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off
    Thanks Andrew! Well, if everybody else's Z8 is an open diff, then my Z8 may be modified. I'll have to check it out again since i haven't driven it in a while. I just thought it somewhat strange that these are open differentials with the higher power to weight ratios, and just assumed posi or limited slip. Obviously the anti-fun switch must be off...
    Tom

There were quite a lot of cars that had the Quaif LSD's added by their owners, so its possible yours may be one of those.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Is it possible in the right conditions for an open diff to drive both sides equally? AFAIK the Alpinas are open diff as well.

DSC Off
    I'll try the Z8 again to confirm it's open. Tough job, but...

Apparently the engineers figured the traction control will not allow wheelspin, so an open diff really doesn't matter unless the button is off. Guessing.

Just jack up the rear end and spin one side... See if the other turns as well.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Just jack up the rear end and spin one side... See if the other turns as well.
    If you mean this to test for the presence of an LSD, be careful. You get different results for different types of LSD so the test is not conclusive. For example, a Quaife or Torsen diff provides a very different result than a clutch diff.

So what test?

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    I'm no expert, but if you do the "turn the wheels while car is off the ground" test and they both turn the same way, then it is a clutch type LSD. The problem is that when the turn the opposite directions it could be an open diff or a torque sensing (Torsen/Quaife) diff. If the other one doesn't turn at all, then I'm not sure what is going on. Best test for the presence of an LSD is also tricky to do, but fun....put the car half on pavement and half on a loose surface and accelerate hard from a stop. If the wheel on the loose surface spins and you don't go then you've got an open diff. However, I think you have to turn off the DSC/ASC system for this test. Any others know any better?

I've read that the conclusive test for a Torsen/Quaife is to open the diff up and look inside!