Thread: replacement tires

carnut

replacement tires

Just got down to Florida and both front tire stems cracked and the tires are flat. Nothing lasts anymore- they're only 14 years old! I'll replace all the tires while I'm at it, but don't know whether to go with the OEM Bridgestone Potenzas, Contis, Dunlops or P-Zero. Anybody have some advice? Got to move quickly......... Thanks!

Michelin Pilot Super Sport if you can get the size. A great economical suggestion is Bridgestone S-04. I don't see too many comments on them, but I used to have the S-03's on my Z8 as well as on the Boxster I had at the time and loved them. Great grip, quiet, and wonderful in the wet.
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

carnut
    Thanks. I'll check availability; not shown on Tire Rack.

Those are both great suggestions, but if you can't get the Pilot Super Sport in the 18" sizes, Tire Rack still list the PS2's as being available, so you could use those.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Doug Dolan's Avatar
    Another good option for 18" wheels are BFGoodrich g-Force Sport Comp 2. BFGoodrich is a Michelin subsidiary (bought in 1988) and these tires are supposedly like the previous generation Michelin PSS which was the most recommended tire for z8's before it was superceded by the current PS2 (which, unfortunately doesn't come in the correct original 18" sizes). There are threads about these tires in the Tires, Wheels & Brakes section of the Forum. And here's a link on Tire Rack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....8&autoModClar=
    Doug Dolan
    61297 - Stratus / Crema

Sport Button On - DSC Off Doug Dolan's Avatar
    Oops...I think I reversed the Michelins -- current is PSS (Pilot Super Sport), previous gen is PS2 (Pilot Sport 2). Regardless, the BFGoodrich's are a very good substitute!
    Doug Dolan
    61297 - Stratus / Crema

Z8Mania
    Just FYI, PS3 is not the successor to PS2. The Super Sport (often called MPSS) is the successor to PS2. The PS3 is really the successor to the PS All Season or PS A/S. I can't believe I even remember that! LOL

Team Z8
    I still run S-03's and love them.