Thread: Radio buttons stopped working

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Radio buttons stopped working

Hi,

I read a number of the posts about the radio dying, but did not see any like these so thought I would ask if anyone else has had a similar experienced. This morning, the radio was playing and all was fine. I switched to a different station preset and it switched, but then I could not switch to any other presets. At that point, I also realized that none of the buttons were doing anything. I can still rotate the right knob to scroll through the warning, but cannot 'accept' as the push functionality does nothing. Turned off and on a few times and no change.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

That's a new one on me, hopefully it'll clear itself, as that sounds more like a software glitch than anything. Keep us posted.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    I had this and yes, unfortunately, it required a new head unit in my case....

Thanks... I suspect that will be the case. So was the head unit unique to the Z8 or is it a general BMW unit - what is the likely cost? Someone mentioned that Bill was able to get a bit of a deal for them?

Thanks!

Z8Mania
    Its unique to the Z8... I don't remember the cost but as you can imagine it was not inexpensive. Many just get an aftermarket radio with more functionality. I like the look of the stock unit so I got another.

So after my day at work, got in the car and radio worked ok... however, noticed a flashing red light to the right of the radio unit. Any ideas what that light means? I have never noticed it before, so i assume it is related to this. Maybe a warning of something imminent? but presumable should mean you can do something about it... maybe increase your credit card limit? :-)

That at least made me laugh!! :-)

Seriously I'm not sure about the red flashing light as I never turn my radio on. (it's my own personal preservation plan, fingers crossed it'll work!)
    Andrew Macpherson

Do you have the radio manual? If so it must have been mentioned somewhere.
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

I think you have the right idea, Andrew.

I checked the manual and although they show it on the radio image, they do not identify it at all... ah well.

I have a vague memory it is the radio anti theft system, but I can't swear if that was this car or another one.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Who wrote the manual? Ferrari?

I actually think a flashing red light is to alert you that Denise Richards will be your passenger shortly

I don't remember the flashing light so I'm at a loss.

I just checked my car, and there's a (very) passive anti theft warning red light that flashes on the right hand side of the radio unit. See poor image below.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  102.6 KB
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Z8Mania
    That looks familiar.

Ya I think you are right... just never noticed I guess. Anyway, it works again so fingers crossed it was just a software crash.

Over the years I've has similar issues with other bmw radios, and after they rebooted, "no problemo." Hopefully that will be the case here.
    silver/black- 60522

Working again reliably - decided to follow Andrew's suggestion though and just listen to the engine!

Z8Mania
    Thats the best music of all!!!!!