Thread: Fisker

Fisker

Coming home I noticed a local used car dealer that always has unusual high end cars on the lot had a Fisker out front. First I will admit that it was better looking than I had anticipated. Having said that I have to wonder who would buy a first generation electric car that is no longer produced and whose manufacturer went bankrupt. Not to mention they had some high profile battery fires that unlike Tesla they have not researched or explained. So the question is who will buy the used Fisker's?? Asking price was $80,000.

That's a hopeful figure, but who knows, as they say there's born every day!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I briefly saw one on a surface street in Scottsdale going the other way about 2 weeks ago. I thought the exact same thing when I saw it. I must admit the next thing I thought was, "I wonder where he's going to park that thing?". I didn't want to be anywhere near that - ref the mysterious fires...
    Thanks,
    Terry
    ALPINA #480/555
    Jet Black/Crema-Black

Been seeing one around town lately. And been parked in a lot near my office. Had me wondering the same things...

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    they are going from between 60-80 in Vancouver... note that if anyone was ever considering one, Wianxiang (acquirers) are not honouring the warranty other than a max cap of $2,000 coverage... so might get pretty expensive for an owner :-(

The car will go the same way as the Delorean , or Tucker. An interesting oddity whose potential was never realized due to a combination of underfunding, hubris and general lack of understanding of what the public really wanted. However Both of these two examples are tied to a popular movie so will always have a collector base. I don't know if you will be able to say the same for the Fisker. Incidentally i was shocked how little room is in the interior of the car due to all the mechanicals. It is actually classified as a compact despite its length. It is not a well thought out concept beyond its nice visuals.
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Dinan low restriction carbon fiber airboxes
    Dinan high flow air mass meters
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    custom short shift linkage
    cdv modifacation
    Quaiffe differential/military grade gear polishing
    19 inch 3 piece HRE mags/Toyo tires
    Custom crossdrilled/slotted rotors
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    custom Sachs clutch /pressure plate
    Dinan pedal set

At the risk of creating a firestorm here (not my intention), but IMHO that's what you get when you allow your company to be hijacked by the Greenies. They have little regard for humans as long as they can move their agenda forward (i.e. CO2 is a dangerous gas, etc). I think Fisker's original business plan could've worked, albeit a slow start, but he was diverted into the eco/greenie world. Had he stuck to his original plan and provided exceptional coachwork designs on BMW and Mercedes platforms, I believe there are enough people to support such a low volume venture. Just my 2 cents...
    Thanks,
    Terry
    ALPINA #480/555
    Jet Black/Crema-Black

DSC Off
    (Sorry for the following. I sometime get weary of blanket statements disparaging groups of any kind.)

ANY companies in ANY field - oil, gas coal, environment, conservation, medical, legal - will always be subject to getting "highjacked" by ANY sort of groups or individuals, regardless of political attachments.
    This can be especially true of small, new endeavors which are vulnerable to "help" in any fashion.

"Greenies" do not have any better or worse record in this regard. Why pick on them here? GM gets "highjacked" by those supporting oil production. It's the way things are ...
    :-)

Just a consideration. Thanks for your time.
    Peace.

I don't think that there were any greenies involved at all, except the millions lost! It was just a play at what he thought would sell best looking into his crystal ball, and of course benefitting from some of the 'green' tax breaks and incentives that were available back then.

The rebodying (coach works) business was a total disaster, they sold less than 10 cars in all, a hand full of SL rebodies, and one M6 rebody. I venture those will be worth even less than the Karma by now.
    Andrew Macpherson

I think the problem was ego. A too big one. Just had to get his name on the hood...
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Yup, sadly I think there's more truth to that than anything.
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I don't think that there were any greenies involved at all, except the millions lost! It was just a play at what he thought would sell best looking into his crystal ball, and of course benefitting from some of the 'green' tax breaks and incentives that were available back then.

The rebodying (coach works) business was a total disaster, they sold less than 10 cars in all, a hand full of SL rebodies, and one M6 rebody. I venture those will be worth even less than the Karma by now.
    I hope not, since I have Tramonto # 001.

Joe

The secret is just hold it, use it and enjoy it to the fullest! :-) The SL55 is a simply superb machine, and you have an absolutely unique one.
    Andrew Macpherson

This one is local. 1 of 1 produced he said

I had the opportunity to have left seat time in both the Model S and the Karma, and I admire Tesla's all in approach and execution with its electric car over Fisker's plug in hybrid compromise. The last I read Fisker Automotive's assets were acquired by a Chinese firm and with Bob Lutz's help was now using a Chevrolet V8 to power the Karma.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Truthfully, it is not surprising that fisher failed. When it comes to innovation, it often takes a few failures before it sticks... We can wait and see if tesla can make it... Looks like it so far!

Quote Originally Posted by JOEA2 View Post
    I hope not, since I have Tramonto # 001.

Joe
    I have seen Joes car. It's a convertible and it's stunning.
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Dinan low restriction carbon fiber airboxes
    Dinan high flow air mass meters
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    custom short shift linkage
    cdv modifacation
    Quaiffe differential/military grade gear polishing
    19 inch 3 piece HRE mags/Toyo tires
    Custom crossdrilled/slotted rotors
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    custom Sachs clutch /pressure plate
    Dinan pedal set

The strange thing to me is that right now, with battery technology where it is, hybrid electrics make way more sense than pure electrics. Even the Tesla is impractical for many typical automobile uses (ie any kind of a long trip). Except in CA, charging stations are virtually non existent and battery anxiety runs high. With a hybrid you have many of the benefits of elecric and gasoline backup. I owned a prius for a period of time and the concept was great (but the car was crap except for the gas mileage.) Wish the Fisker car could have made a stand.
    silver/black- 60522

It would be interesting to see how long it would take in real world to get from from LA to NY considering how long it takes to charge when you run out energy. I am quite sure that there are enough charging stations to get across the country, especially as many groceries have stations now. Just not sure how friendly they would be to a customer trying to get a full charge from near empty as the intent is just to provide a quick charge while their customer is shopping. Some hotels are now adding charging stations to their parking spots as well, I just have not yet seriously looked into it.

Has anybody seen any long range tests?
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    This one is local. 1 of 1 produced he said
    I had the opportunity to buy it a few years ago. I passed, but I am sorry I did. Having the two number 1's would have been nice.

Joe

Andrew - Tesla did just what you asked about. They sent 2 cars from LA to NY each with 2 drivers. The intent was to "prove" you could do long trips in the Tesla with the current state of charging stations. They documented the trip in a video they have on their site. In a nutshell, they said it took 75 hours and about 15 of that was at charging stations. As I watched the video, I found the routing to be pretty interesting. They had to go via So. Dakota, Chicago, etc. because there weren't enough stations along the center of the US (yet) to support the trip. Anyway, it's on their site if interested.
    Thanks,
    Terry
    ALPINA #480/555
    Jet Black/Crema-Black

Ian, that is the one of one, and also the one I shot for free to help him get going. It retrospect that was really dumb idea as the over egoed mofo never called me to do the Karma work when he had real cash to spend! Ahhh well, Karma's a bitch.

For those that we're around then, this is my layout for the launch brochure.

Andrew Macpherson

What a tarnished legacy he left... I don't hear his name being held up by z8 owners anymore, and history will not remember him as a great designer, but as a disgraced failure. Karma indeed.

Yes, and sadly many Z8 owners were initial investors in his enterprise. All of them were thrown to the wolves in the second and third rounds of financing without him as much as lifting a finger to help them secure at least the return of their initial investment. Disgraced and disgraceful are the only terms to describe his behavior, but that aside he did design some beautiful cars. His legacy in sheet metal is infinitely greater than his legacy as either a man or a businessman.
    Andrew Macpherson

Andrew, that brochure is gorgeous. You're a wizard :-)

Team Z8
    I remember seeing that layout during the car's initial marketing. Truly classic work!

Thanks guys, I always view every shoot as an opportunity to be better than I've been before, that's what keeps it so exciting!
    Andrew Macpherson

Did Fisker do much of a launch layout for the Karma? I don't remember seeing any, but your posting did remind me of how great your layout turned out. Fantastic work Andrew.
    Thanks,
    Terry
    ALPINA #480/555
    Jet Black/Crema-Black

Yes, he pushed the boat out for the Karma launch.
    Andrew Macpherson