Thread: Parts etc.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar

Parts etc.

I got the minutes of the annual Z8 club meeting:

Taillights:
    A new manufacturer for neon tubes has been contracted for the future production of taillights. Delivery will restart in May 2014. Unfortunately, the price per taillight will rise to EUR 3,000. BMW guarantees constant availability again.

BMW Classic and Z8:
    In 2013, BMW Classic has taken over responsibility for the spare part supply. They also commit to the "50 year warranty“, and to the supply of parts necessary for keeping the car in operation. However, this warranty is not a 24 hour spare part guarantee and not to rates as it is the case with new cars.

Individual initiative will be required for:

– leather work (steering wheel, interior)
    – cushioning (seats)
    – carpets (all colors except black)

Collective orders or the coordination of orders can be arranged via the club, e.g. for carpets.

Price development Z8
    In the last year rates have risen considerably. ECE cars in good conditions are hardly available below the originalretail price. At the show “Techno Classica” six Z8 were offered. The most economic Z8 with high mileage and inaverage condition was offered for EUR 135,000. Apart from that the prices amount to EUR 170,000 to 200,000 partly US cars, partly with added value tax.

Conclusion: High interest exists in purchasing Z8 and a lot of inquiries for purchase advice reach the club, also at the “Techno Classica”. Realistic prices range from EUR 120,000 to 170,000 if the car is in an appropriate condition. Dealers try to push up the prices.

In addition, BMW does not support the conversion of US cars anymore because of legal concerns. At the end, a US Z8 is simply not an ECE Z8. There are safety-related software differences which cannot be eliminated. Presumably, the price curve of imported US-Z8 will permanently be somewhat flatter.
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Z8Mania
    Interesting. Thank you for posting Ton. Very interesting about the latter part. I'm not so sure if I agree with the affect on values the last part says, even if true. People are pretty inventive when they have to be and I can't believe whatever software differences there are could not be overcome and also I don't think collectors will be driving these cars very often...

Personally I rather hope the globalist banker elite's silent coup in Europe fails, and the completely undemocratic dictatorship that the EU has morphed into unravels. That will mean we might well have a return to a strong dollar and a bright future bringing our ~1000 US Z8's back from Europe. ;-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

@ Andrew: we had our polls yesterday: the pro -Europe parties (against expectations) won

@ Jerry: I have never heard of severe software problems with former US cars so I don't know what they are talking about

But what concernes me most is that BMW breaks a written promise to deliver spare parts until 2050. The company who did the interior (Draxlmayer) is still active and is partner of BMW. Now the leather and what is next? It looks like the Z8 is a marketing gimmick! Can BMWNA do something ?
    Ton

Ton, when those invested in maintaining their grip on power control the elections, they always win, so there's on surprise there :-)

The worry with our parts is however more pressing, and hopefully with the club, we can together make sure we have the things we need to keep our cars going for all our days.
    Andrew Macpherson

The meeting minutes - the S*** disturbers lost big. One person even tried to argue the club's rear bumper bracket damaged the value of the car! That did not go well.
    But what was truly breathtaking is the report on the European sales prices. Even an average car with miles is selling for mid 100K in EUROS.
    That said, the neon light costs are a bummer. I am hoping someone can MacGyver a solution that will keep the neon light, but at a reasonable price. As an '03 owner with 26K miles, I'm starting to brake and turn as little as possible.
    Best,
    Greg
    Greg AH61930 - 2003 - Silver/Black

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post

The worry with our parts is however more pressing, and hopefully with the club, we can together make sure we have the things we need to keep our cars going for all our days.
    I asked on the Z8 club forum what the position of the the club is.
    Ton

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    I for one have never been impressed (in fact, quite the opposite) regarding the "customer service" BMW provides. I live in Canada and they were one of the absolute worst companies to deal with when people wanted to import from the US given that they refused to adjust CAD pricing (it was, in some cases, 30% more even though our dollar was at par). In fact, I sold my 335 cab and bought an S5 cab (as my daily convertible driver) because I was fed up - and Audi has been amazing. Clearly, the Z8 is an awesome car, so I broke my promise and bought another BMW, but none of these stories surprise me. Perhaps one day they will smarten up - sad since they do not realize that anyone who can afford a Z8 is likely a great client for other BMW offerings.

Z8Mania
    Thats funny because a friend of mine had the exact opposite experience with Audi. He had an absolute nightmare of a time. BMW has been utterly fantastic in taking care of me in various situations. Unfortunately I think every marque has these stories both good and bad.

I have to say I've also been blown away by our customer service as Z8 owners. I don't think any brand has looked after an owner group as well as BMW NA has looked after us.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Fair enough - I will definitely agree that Bill has been fantastic and obviously BMW supports him.

Sea to Sky Express

Parts

My last 5 cars have been a M5,M6 Z8, RS4 and RS7. The BMW and Audi dealerships I bought the cars from and who service the cars in Vancouver are located side by side. The service and support I have received from both dealerships has been always excellent. The service managers I deal with know and love their M,Z and RS cars and appreciate enthusiasts ( as opposed to consumers) of both marques . My Z8 has just had its 12 year service with the benefit of the posts on the Forum, together with installation of the Eisenmann race exhaust, the M5 166 rims and Piliot Super Sports,and the European side mirrors. The RS 7 just had a Milltek non-resonated exhaust installed.The Z8 and the RS7 now compete for bragging rights as the best sounding supercars in my part of town.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-acht View Post
    I asked on the Z8 club forum what the position of the the club is.
    The club prefers diplomacy and accepts the fact that BMW AG "downgraded" the 50 year guaranty. The club has the impression that BMW AG was not aware of the fact that a 50 year guarantee had been given and parts department only made a 10 years stock. But BMW AG promises to keep the car rolling for the next 36 years.
    Ton

I think that is pretty disingenuous on BMW AG's part.

Speaking for myself, this was a one of the main reasons I both bought the car and started the site. The 50 years parts guarantee was told to the press and printed in every magazine at the time the car was launched, and in 'The Book', which was printed by BMW AG.

I certainly don't disagree with diplomacy, but there are also times when being more insistant and vocal works.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    The proof will be in the motor oil..... If they really do keep the promise then there will be no problem. Its not worth it to them to argue over this. They are trying to launch future vehicles now and also BMW Classic or whatever they did to Mobile Tradition. It would be a bad move to cut off the parts supply.

I wish BMW would get back to F1 rather than sailboats and golf....

Agreed, MB really have it all their way this season, and in all honesty it does make me smile a little bit more when I'm pottering around in the SL.
    Andrew Macpherson

The 50 years parts guarantee was told to the press and printed in every magazine at the time the car was launched, and in 'The Book', which was printed by BMW AG.
    It is also printed in a BMW brochure so I really don't believe that it only was a marketing gimmick where the rest of the Company did not know of

I certainly don't disagree with diplomacy, but there are also times when being more insistant and vocal works.
    That is exactly what I said ....but the club accepts this reality because BMW accepts their responsibility.
    Ton

Z8Mania
    I guess thats how it is.

Yeah MB really has the measure of F1 this year. Too bad the motors sound like dog poo.