Thread: California Spring Fling: May 15-18, 2014

California Spring Fling: May 15-18, 2014

Just a quick postcard from the house, seeing if I can upload directly from the iPhone.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Here's some postcards from the road, we had a 100 day when the top up and AC blasting was a must!, but still the open road was wonderful, and the Z8 simply magic. The new Michelin Pilot Super Sports at 39f-36r with my Dinan Caster Plates, Dinan Sways and full Alpina suspension is a simply magic combination, this is the best my car's steering has ever felt, as nimble and light as a P-car, yet with insane grip, and pushing as hard as I dared, not a hint of understeer.

Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Really nice!!!

Good night from all of us in Central Cali!
    Follow the madness as it unfolds on Instagram #z8springfling

Andrew Macpherson

Break of day, far from the madding crowds.

Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    As usual, great photos! Have a great time!!
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

What a perfect day!

Stunning weather, great roads, not too much traffic, gorgeous lunch at the Ventana Inn, and now back at the house for another evening of Clive's amazing cooking and a couple of cases of fine wine. I really do love the Z8, but even more I love the people it's brought into my life.

Andrew Macpherson

Andrew - what an awesome drive !!! The pictures are fabulous and the scenery, roads and cars are not too bad either! You all are truly fortunate to live in such a great part of the country. What fun!
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

DSC Off
    Great pictures. That is what it's all about.

Gar

Thanks guys, on every moment of these trips I really do appreciate how lucky I am, and that we are all really living the dream!

After an evening of fantastic food, fabulous wine and massive hilarity, we got to wake up to a perfect Californian dawn with a gaggle of Z8's waiting patiently under an oak for the days activities. We were on the road by 8.30, but just four of us headed out to get some more groceries from the big food market thirty odd miles away along some of the prettiest roads I know.

These shots are all taken between the house we rented by Lake Naciemento and Templeton, mostly on Vineyard Drive.

Andrew Macpherson

After the shopping run, which took us almost two hours, we came home to gather the whole team and roll down to an early lunch at Justin's Vineyard, which has been completely refurbished and also now has some seriously good fare.

Andrew Macpherson

Leaving such a great group, and such a fun event always sucks, but the drive home is so spectacular that it softens the blow. We were up before the dawn to get an early Sunday traffic beating drive on the roads that made me fall in love with California. This state really is a drivers dream, and after 750 odd miles done over the last four days, there's no question that the Z8 is absolutely the perfect car to enjoy it in.

Andrew Macpherson

Fantastic! Wish we could've worked the time in to join you fine folks. Looks like another wonderful time through the countryside.
    Thanks,
    Terry
    ALPINA #480/555
    Jet Black/Crema-Black

Another great trip for the books! Love the car, but the people more! Thank you Andrew for all the coordination and inspiration... And the lamb!

Best Spring Fling yet! More social time with friends always wins. How can we possibly top this?
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Hard to do, it really was the best one yet for me too, but this 4k a night spot looks pretty awesome! Carmel Valley Vacation Rental - VRBO 461856 - 8 BR Central Coast Estate in CA, Amazing Estate Overlooking Carmel Bay
    Andrew Macpherson

Wait, does it have garages????? If it does, we may have a winner.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Looks like a winner to me! We could easily be convinced to join in on that little getaway.
    Thanks,
    Terry
    ALPINA #480/555
    Jet Black/Crema-Black

Z8 Happy
    We could look at renting an entire B&B as well. Something like Paso Robles Bed and Breakfast | Luxury Romantic Getaway Lodging Central Coast CA
    AKA Mark from SoCal

2003 Alpina - Black/Black
    Original Owner

That's not a bad idea, but if I count right that one's only seven rooms.
    Andrew Macpherson

That is the place we looked at last year. This is perfect! Let's book it now! I call master first! Let me know if you need any help.

BTW, 8 bedrooms if you include the "study" that is upstairs and has two singles, I think.

Emails sent out to our regulars as this is one has just enough rooms for our 8 car posse.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    If you happen to have enough room I would love to go. Poking around now for another Z8 but would be happy to also ride shotgun.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Andrew - can you please share the route for this great looking trip? I'm putting together a drive in the same area for late August.

Thanks,
    Tyler

Andrew, let me know if there are any openings. I've attained approval from the better half and she is anxious to participate.
    Thanks,
    Terry
    ALPINA #480/555
    Jet Black/Crema-Black

This house only has 8 bedrooms, and our regular 'Spring Fling' crew is already 8 cars, so if we do go with this one there won't be any bedroom openings at the house, but you're most welcome to stay at a nearby establishment and join us for all meals and events.
    Andrew Macpherson

Roger that! Main Spring Fling crew has priority. No problem, we'll cross that bridge as they say...
    Thanks,
    Terry
    ALPINA #480/555
    Jet Black/Crema-Black

A fun shot just sent over by Norcal. While we were enjoying our long lunch at Justin's some Cobra's and Porches came by too, but they were all gone by the time we were done.

Andrew Macpherson

You can't see all the cobras or Porsches in this shot, but I must say it was one pretty parking lot!

Andrew, how about a 6 pack for the gallery from this trip? Does anyone view it?

I don't think anyone uses or views the gallery any more, so I'd kind of given up on it to be honest. It's also the old 800px wide size, while here in the forum we've upscaled to 1200px wide. It's a month of work to go back through ten years of the gallery and resize all those images, so they've kind of fallen by the wayside a bit now. If there's a huge ground swell of desire to keep it running I will, but it gets so few views it doesn't seem like anyone cares about it anymore.
    Andrew Macpherson

The lack of traffic could be that most visitors just enter though the forum. Does the left panel navigation get much use at all?
    thegunguy

I have no idea how we can get metrics that are that specific, but my sense is that everyone goes direct to the forum these days, and that's why I'd kind of given up updating the gallery. Also I now use all the best images in the posts here, rather than holding back the best ones for the gallery as I used to do, so they'd also be a bit repetitive.
    Andrew Macpherson