Thread: What is the correct phone?

What is the correct phone?

I need help identifying the correct phone for my car, which was purchased with the phone absent. The car is AH 60536, built on January 15, 2001. Included in the owners manual folder was an instruction pamphlet which identifies the phone as a CPT 7000, which I haven never seen seen listed on EBAY. I recently purchased a Motorola BMW-branded Star Tac 7797, which I hoped might be compatible, but to my chagrin it doesn't fit in the onboard charging dock. Is the CPT 7000 the only phone that will work? This is actually the second phone I have bought, to no avail- I should have come to the forum and gotten the correct information from the get-go!

Bill,

I searched the BMW classic shop with your VIN and it says the Motorola V50. Our cars almost have the same manufacturing date and for my car the Startac 350 is mentioned ...and that is correct!
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

I forget the name of the original phone, but I know that it's for a wavelength/system that doesn't exist anymore, so even if you did get one that still works, it wouldn't, if you see what I mean.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

No plans to actually use it - just trying to accumulate the missing odds and ends that originally came with the car. Ton, can you send me the link to the site which you used- I'm trying to reconcile the Star Tac CPT 7000 nomenclature used in the pamphlet (which appears to be original to the car) with your information re Motorola V50.

Thanks,

Bill

Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Motorola Timeport is the phone that came with my 2002 Z8. The evolution of cellular phones is amazing over the last 12 years!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  70.2 KB
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Smart phones are amazing!

The Motorola Time Port that came with your car was the first phone I purchased on my quest. Apparently there was a change sometime in mid-late 2001 from what my car came with to what you have. Does anyone have the original phone from a late 2000/early 2001 build-date car (U.S. spec) that can confirm what model phone I should be looking for?

Bill

Hi Bill,

I remembered there was a comment on the phones used for the Z8 in the PDF file Andrew posted: Modifications made during the production of the BMW Z8 E52. An excerpt from this document states:

Approx. 07/2001 Exchange of the Motorola StarTAC 130 phone to the Motorola V50. A retrofit of the V50 was offered by BMW, however the corresponding retrofit unit needs to be installed as well. The retrofit unit has the BMW-part-nr.84 63 0 140 099.

I hope that's the information you are seeking!
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Z8Mania
    CPT 7000 (black) was the first one. Then came the CPT8000 (grey one)