Thread: Wheels Tires and Brakes

Sea to Sky Express

Wheels Tires and Brakes

I have a 2001 Topaz/Crema. Apart from the Dinan stage two chip the car is original. This spring I am undertaking some of the updates that have been recommended in the Forum. I have ordered the Eisennman race exhaust. I just installed a Milltek non-resonated exhaust on my new RS7 and the Z8 now seems extremely quiet. I have read the reviews on the Meistershaft systems but I think that the Eisennman will best suit my driving style.
    I am replacing the OEM rims and run flats with the M5 19 inch 166 wheels that I have seen featured on several cars in the Forum . I will be using the Mitchell Pilot Super Sports which you have reviewed enthusiastically. To complete the updating I will be installing the Brembo GT brakes. I see from the VAC Motorsports website and the Brembo catalogue that they list for the rears a “traditional” and “new design”. Which is the appropriate one for my proposed setup? I do not track the car so am I my right to assume that the choice between slotted and drilled is an aesthetic one? I would read all the posts under the “Wheels Tires and Brakes” heading but I would value any further advice on anything else I should be considering in my update.

This sounds like a good round of updates, however I'd also suggest the full EU Alpina suspension as it is so much superior in every way. Also maybe urethane bushings in all the steering linkages, ditch the CDV, and add the short shift kit too. This post gives you my feedback on all my upgrades.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sea to Sky Express
    Any thoughts on the choice of “traditional” and “new design" rear Brembos and between slotted or drilled. I have considered the full Alpina set up but thought to leave it to the next round.Can't be having too much fun all at once.

I prefer the slotted discs visually, and I think they're a better fit with the rims your adding. I have no idea what the traditional and new design are when it comes to the rear, but my guess is that we must all have the traditional, as there wasn't a choice when we did our group buy.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

old: http://www.bmwz8.us/forum/tires-whee...e-kit-872.html

new: http://www.bmwz8.us/forum/tires-whee...dual-2397.html

The new style is 6 piston in the front, versus 8 piston in front. The rears are both 4 piston. However, the new style is a one piece casting versus two bolted together halves and the new rear calliper matches the style of the new front calliper, whereas the old rear and old front seem to be style-wise distant cousins.

The reason I got the new style, though, is because they are lighter.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Sea to Sky Express
    Thanks for the explanation. I see from the photos you have the drilled version. Macfly prefers the slotted. Was lightness or aesthetics the reason you went drilled?

Sea to Sky Express
    Looking at the various dealer sites and Brembo's catalogue it seems that for both the 6 and 8 piston fronts they are 2 piece.Only the new rears are one piece. Am I missing something?

Sea to Sky Express
    One of the Brembo dealer sites states that installing the brakes requires a replacement for the OEM parking brake. Is this correct and how have owners done this? I have searched the Forum for an answer but have found nothing.

The Swiss department of motor vehicles was my motivation for drilled. One of my colleagues told me a horror story that they wouldn't pass his car because the slots were 5mm longer than allowed.

I assure you: the new 6 piston front callipers are monoblocks

Total nonsense on the parking brakes. The only mod that is necessary is to remove or grind down the edges of the dust shields to clear the bigger disks.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Sea to Sky Express
    Thanks for this. I am quickly learning to rely upon Forum members' advice and not dealers' websites.

Under heavy use (the track) the drilled rotors will eventually crack. I chose drilled because I like the look. I would go slotted if I were tracking the car frequently, which I am not.

Z8Mania
    Agree with Norcal. Slotted is better performance but drilled look cooler to my eyes