Thread: Clutch slipping, need replacing?

Sport Button On

Clutch slipping, need replacing?

Hi Guys,

Our clutch is slipping pretty bad. Mostly when cruising and going to overtake someone without changing gears, between approximately 1500 and 4000 RPMs.

I'm hoping it shouldn't be too expensive, should just be an e39 M5 part, no?

Anyone replaced their clutch, is it ludicrously expensive?

Thanks,

Jordan

(If this is a re-post, sorry, searched "clutch" but couldn't find anything.)

Jordan -

How many miles on your car (are you the original owner)?
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Z8Mania
    I think it should be an E39 M5 part. The thing is, I think the stock E39 M5 part came right off the E39 528. Supposedly the stock clutch is not quite up to the task and in the Z8 its one thing but in the 400lb heavier M5 some people were going through them pretty quickly. If you have the CDV still installed (clutch delay valve, you'd have to remove it otherwise its in there ) that can lead to excessive clutch wear. See: CDV

Sport Button On
    We are at just over 31,000. Not the original owner and as far as I'm aware, the CDV has not been removed.

Have you guys got any ideas on pricing?

Quote Originally Posted by Musta10000 View Post
    Jordan -

How many miles on your car (are you the original owner)?
    - - - Updated - - -

Thanks for that, interesting read. Think we'll definitely talk it over at the service department.

Can't really believe that the clutch is a 528i part, seems like an odd thing to do considering how special the rest of the car is.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    I think it should be an E39 M5 part. The thing is, I think the stock E39 M5 part came right off the E39 528. Supposedly the stock clutch is not quite up to the task and in the Z8 its one thing but in the 400lb heavier M5 some people were going through them pretty quickly. If you have the CDV still installed (clutch delay valve, you'd have to remove it otherwise its in there ) that can lead to excessive clutch wear. See: CDV

Z8Mania
    If you want to take some time, do a search for clutch on BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums

Its been many years for me but, those of us with M5s were just as surprised. It might have to do with the story of the S62 motor gestation. Did you know BMW was not really planning an M5 for the E39? They thought the 540i/6 sport was more than enough. Then Mercedes did the 355 HP E55 AMG (I forget the W code) and I think that got BMW's motors running (so to speak ). They were kicking around this whole 507 homage idea at the same time but in parallel because BMW M and BMW are kind of two different kingdoms. So when the Z8 team found out that there was this super power motor being developed they lobbied to have it put into the Z8. So thats why the Z8 has an M power plant but does not have the M differential- its not an M car- doesn't have an M VIN either. I think its only the second production non M BMW to have an M motor. The first was I think a late 80s 7 series for the South African market for emissions reasons or something. I think they felt the stick shift out of the 540/6 was basically good and they went with that and that unit really is the same as in the 528- again Im going from memory. Bottom line- search out replacement clutch and flywheel for the E39 M5 and you'll see a ton of stuff. Many people swapped in parts from the 850 CSi because they were more robust but Im not sure how easy it is.

I will say my 00 E39 M5 had 38,000 miles on it and no clutch slippage (the M5s didn't have the CDV) and yet my Z8 with 17k on the clock had a fried clutch with the same driver and also the original transmission had a failure of some part I forget now so they replaced the whole thing. Point is that did have the CDV. Ive since removed the CDV and I have about 13k on it with zero issues....

For what it's worth, the clutch in the e39 528 is actually fairly robust- my son was home last weekend in my old 1998 528i 5 speed which I purchased new and gave him when he went off to college 5 years ago. Clock is showing 193,000 miles, original clutch still going strong.....

Bill

You can put in a Sachs heavy duty unit if you want some piece of mind and don't mind the car not being completly original.
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Dinan low restriction carbon fiber airboxes
    Dinan high flow air mass meters
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    custom short shift linkage
    cdv modifacation
    Quaiffe differential/military grade gear polishing
    19 inch 3 piece HRE mags/Toyo tires
    Custom crossdrilled/slotted rotors
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    custom Sachs clutch /pressure plate
    Dinan pedal set

How/where do you get those?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    How/where do you get those?
    The Dinan mechanic got it for me when he put in the lightweight duel mass flywheel. My clutch started to slip at mid 20K. If you want I can email him for the part numbers. I figured I am putting out about 450 hp and as I do a couple of runway events a year that puts a little wear on the clutch.

That reminds me if anyone is interested in the tristate area ( ny ct nj) my car club is having our spring runway event Sunday May 4 at wallkill airport about 1 hour north of NYC. Right now we have about 50 exotics lined up to participate on a half mile of runway from 9 till 4 pm. 100 bucks gets you unlimited runs with breakfast and lunch at the nice restaurant overlooking the strip. Let me know so I can get you on the invite. To see video check out the thread "any one know which exhaust this is". You will find two videos embedded the second being nice and very professional. We will be having the same flag girl ( and her twin! ) doing the starting honors.
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Dinan low restriction carbon fiber airboxes
    Dinan high flow air mass meters
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    custom short shift linkage
    cdv modifacation
    Quaiffe differential/military grade gear polishing
    19 inch 3 piece HRE mags/Toyo tires
    Custom crossdrilled/slotted rotors
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    custom Sachs clutch /pressure plate
    Dinan pedal set

Sport Button On
    It's great to see how much you guys all know about the car - best way to learn stuff seems to be this forum.

Sachs may he worth looking at.

Thanks guys!