Thread: Excessive Waxing A Bad Thing?

Sport Button On - DSC Off Kevin's Avatar

Excessive Waxing A Bad Thing?

A friend of mine told me the other day that waxing a car can be bad for its clear coat. He argued that wax is an abrasive and using it excessively can be harmful. I use meguiars liquid wax on my cars every time I wash them which is about once a month. What I'm wondering is, am I indeed harming the clear coat of my cars?
    2003 Z8 Silver/Black AH62031 (Sold)

I would say no. Only certain waxes have a fine compound in them, such as "cleaner wax". Pure carnauba, for example, is just wax (and a carrier fluid etc)! That being said, every time you wash the car, minor abrasion takes place, due to the surface contaminants. And the wax and rag do have some effect too. However, leaving a car dirty will also degrade the surface. So there is no winning... The clear coat will eventually be ruined either way. Relative to the waxing damage, the clear coat is very thick, so should last a very long time. I say wax away!

Z8Mania
    Norcal has it right.

The thing you have to understand is every time you touch the car, like he says, you will put in micro scratches.

If you want a easy to live with and fairly easy to apply all in one cleaner wax that is safe and honestly I think of as a miracle product, check out Klasse. The Klasse has no abrasives but it has a little bit of cleaning action- it will remove most light water stains and it has mild fillers in it, which will fill in any light scratches in the clear coat.

Amazon.com: Klasse ALL-IN-ONE Polish 10 oz: Automotive

I would recommend microfiber towels for removing and micro fiber pads for applying.

Chemical Guys MIC_102_1 - Ultra Fine Microfiber Towel, Blue 15" x 15"

Chemical Guys MIC_292_01 - Premium Grade Microfiber Applicator, 2" x 4" x 6"

Wash the MF towels with a tiny bit of detergent and some microfiber wash

Chemical Guys CWS_201_16 -Microfiber Rejuvenator Cleaning Detergent Concentrate (16 oz)

Griots also has great stuff.

Klasse is great. Use a little bit, less than you might think, remember "thin is in". If it hazes up a little while after you apply it, use some deionized water in a spray bottle, use a very light mist and clean microfiber towel and wipe it gently, that will remove it.

My general rule is I wait until a car is a little bit dirty and then I wash it. Follow with a speed shine, I like the detailing dynamics one

DyNA Liquid Gloss?-Unique Blend of Gloss Enhancers and Paint Pro 20 fl. oz. - Detailing Dynamics

But Griots or Chemical Guys are also good.

Just remember, don't ever press too much with towels, let the chemicals do the work. Whether thats soap or wax. If you have something that's not coming off, like bird poo or tar, use a tar remover, use it carefully.

Thanks for the helpful replies, I was aware of the whole micro scratch problem and use precautions to avoid them to the best of my ability. But what really worried me was that according to my friend excessive waxing will slowly ruin the clear coat and dull the paint finish, from what I'm understanding he's wrong, rite?

Z8Mania
    I think he might technically be correct; but by that logic the CC will always get depleted just by the car existing. I don't think you are doing any real harm to the cars finish and Im not sure what excessive waxing is. Once a week? That might be excessive. I don't think once a month with Meguiars would be excessive (not sure which product but they make good stuff). I think the only way to not have the car's finish degrade over time would be to put it into sealed storage. And wheres the fun in that? There has to be a balance that we each find and that will be different for everyone. I think your friend might be technically right depending on the products he's thinking of, but I disagree with him as a practical matter.

I say enjoy the car. Based on your reply it doesn't seem to me you are really damaging the clear coat. You might be helping it because you might be putting down some extra microscopic layers of protection.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    The greatest damage is done during drying. I blow dry my cars.

Joe

Z8Mania
    Agreed. But I saw someone nail their car with some debris that got into a leaf blower they were using on their car. That freaks me out so I just use microfiber towels very very very gently. I'm beginning to think about a blower though... I know there are now car specific ones and they have great filters. I think you can also put some good scratches in removing wax if you are not careful but drying is definitely #1 on the list of places to be extra careful.

I've been using one of the car specific driers for over a year now and it's great, doesn't really speed up the drying process but deffinetly prevents micro scratches

Z8Mania
    Kevin, can you tell me which one it is? I'm curious to try it out.

This is the one I've been using. Like I said it doesn't really speed up the drying process just prevents microscratchs. Also from my experience when you turn on both motors it blows a breaker, so I only use one of the engines. Other than that I'm very happy with it. Here's a link to the one I use.

Metro Vacuum MB3CD Air force Master Blaster 8-HP Motorcycle Dryer:Amazon:Home Improvement

I hadn't heard about the drying vacuums before, thank you for sharing. I enjoy listening to baseball games this time of year while cleaning my cars, so this blow drying approach doesn't entirely fit my needs.

In my evolution of washing cars I've used:
    1) Cotton towels
    2) natural chamois
    3) synthetic chamois
    4) microfiber towel
    5) current practice: clean cotton bath towel (no pressure) followed by a clean microfiber towel to remove residual water drops
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Z8Mania
    I think you have the secret Ed: no pressure. I use only MF but I think your cotton bath towel is just fine too. Thanks Kevin for the link. I actually have this vacuum- I got it for small cracks but it turns out I haven't worked up the trust to use it yet. I thought I would but so far I just remember my friend who damaged his car with the leaf blower.

So far, I've used it for 3 years now and it's been good. Only once I accidentally pulled it into a oil puddle as I was drying and it sprayed water all over my car, but no paint damage (happened to my daily anyway)

Z8Mania
    And that can happen to you while driving too.

DSC Off
    For those who only drive their cars in "fair weather" like myself, tend only have to deal with "road dust" I tend not to wash the car but use a dry wash copiously and microfiber towels. Though these cars are aluminum spraying water tends to get in places where drying either by hand or by blowing will not dry. I have been doing this for years with my black ford gt without harming the sheen and do not bother waxing it (some is in The dry wash) . I also believe it will be less likely for the headlights to fog up!

Z8Mania
    This is a subject of intense debate and the best car detailers I know all insist this method: detail spray with microfiber towels to remove, WILL in fact put in micro scratches into the finish. It makes sense to me. The rule of thumb I have is garage dust is ok to do this with but if you get some road grime on the car or even a lot of pollen, wash it. Its safer.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    .....and with a black car, only use water, plenty of water. Even looking at a black car gives scratches :-)
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Z8Mania
    Black is glorious when clean.

Its dirty 5 minutes later!

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    I have the Master Blaster too. Here is Griot's take on it: Eight-Peak Horsepower Air Blower - Griot's Garage
    I subscribe to "don't touch the paint if at all possible".
    Cheers,
    Phil
    61115 Topaz/Crema

Z8Mania
    I hear you but if you get swirls from drying you've got problems! LOL.