Thread: Read fine print and test

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Read fine print and test

Hi,

I was washing my Z8 today and decided to use "Armour All Extreme Rim cleaner" to get the rims extra clean. It was a good lesson in actually reading the bottle very carefully and testing, which, needless to say, I did not do as well as I should have. Now remember, this is rim and 'mags' cleaner only - Extreme Rim Cleaner | Armor All

So on the back it says to not USE on brake parts - these are the brake parts that are behind EVERY wheel on the planet. As it turns out, it instantly rusts them. So, somehow you are supposed to spray the stuff in such a way that none of it gets on any of the brake parts... So the result is as shown here.

I will be calling them and complaining, but any insight as to how to unrust the calliper housing would be greatly appreciated.

And needless to say, DO NOT use this product.

Thanks

Z8Mania
    That is a serious bummer.

I've had good success with this:

SONAX Wheel Cleaner, all wheel cleaner, chrome wheel cleaner, aluminum wheel cleaner, full effect wheel cleaner

Also if you ever get a car with carbon brakes, don't use the Armor all wheel dressing- or any other silicone based dressing- they can permanently ruin the brakes!

Argh, what a pain. I'm afraid the only solution looks like either removal and refinishing, or replacing.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Have to agree with Andrew, whatever coating was on the caliper is now gone. Not a fan of Armour All products. Much better and safer cleaners out there. I use several coats of paint sealant on the wheels and I never need to use anything other than soap/water to clean the wheels.

If you need a wheel cleaner, try p21s... very safe and does a great job.

P21S WHEEL CLEANERS gel and regular

If you need a wheel cleaner, try p21s... very safe and does a great job.
    Agree! It is part of the maintenance program for several german car brands
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Sport Button On - DSC Off Kevin's Avatar
    I always just used soap and water, it takes a little more time but at least I know it's safe.
    2003 Z8 Silver/Black AH62031 (Sold)

Wow! Sorry to see this happen to you. Andrew's assessment is probably correct. Thanks for the heads-up. I don't use Armour All products but not for any particular reason, just never used it much.
    Thanks,
    Terry
    ALPINA #480/555
    Jet Black/Crema-Black

I looked it up on their web site.... I think it's "extreme wheel and tire cleaner". It says there too, that it may damage unpainted, or zinc coated metal. It also say not to allow the wash water to enter the sewer or storm drains.... How are you supposed to collect the water? And dispose of how? WTF? That really sucks. Try using an "all wheel cleaner" like the mothers product. This works for clear coated wheels, and uncoated "mags" etc. or as others have said, just soap and water. Looks like you will need to paint you calipers. Let us know how it turns out. I know many owners have considered painting the calipers, because the parts are getting older, and most have some rust and or dullness.

Z8Mania
    Kevin, it depends on the soap. Dishwasher soap can damage the clear coat on these wheels.

I simply use the soap I use to wash the car, dish soap is way too harsh.

Z8Mania
    That soap would work fine but there are special wheel cleaners that I would recommend because you can let the chemicals do 90% of the work- which will be better for the wheels long term.

So I emailed Armor All - they said - too bad, it says so on the container. I then emailed again saying I would take them to court, and suddenly I got a more palatable response which, by the looks of it, will make it to their insurance company.

A few questions:
    1. has anyone painted their callipers? If so, a. how much, and b. does it affect car value since not stock (my car is fully fully stock). What colour seems to work with Silver?
    2. Any idea how much the callipers are new? Are they specific to Z8, or are they just M5 callipers?

Thanks!

From what I've been told the brakes on the Z8 are straight off the 7 Series of the time. If you want to keep the car completely original just repaint them in the original color of black and the value won't change at all. However I've seen a car where the brakes were painted Silver and they looked nice, red brakes doesn't really go with this car in my opinion as the brakes don't look like anything special and the red simply draws attention to it.

I heard the brakes were from the 7 series armored edition? Bigger than standard 7?

Yes, the calipers are from the armored (thus much heavier) 7 series, which is why they are so capable, but also so industrial and ugly. If you want to stay stock just get them refinished in black by a shop that has great expertise in brake rebuilds, and you'll be all set. The standard calipers are so ugly that I wouldn't recommend anything but black, as Kevin said, it just draws the eye to one of the least attractive parts on the car.
    Andrew Macpherson

Thanks guys - so my calliper housings were not black, but just rough grey alloy. Is that not how they came?

They came black, but it seemed to be more of a shoe polish than a paint judging by how easily it comes off/fades.
    Andrew Macpherson

Mine were yellow zinc coated from the factory for rust protection; I imagine they all are. The black stuff that covers them immediately after you drive the car is the brake dust from the awful brake pads BMW (and most of the Germans) uses.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver