Thread: A unfortunate first... MAF's & static

A unfortunate first... MAF's & static

After collecting my car from it's twelve year service, where it got all new sensors throughout, all fluids changed, and everything else you can think of, it broke down on the way home, becoming the first car to ever leave me stranded by the side of the road.😡😡😡

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Bummer! Any chance the breakdown is related to the work the dealer had performed?

Too early to tell, the diagnostics show fuel starvation, but the tank's full so it seems like maybe the fuel pump has failed, but we've never had one fail on the board, so I'm not so sure. I'll know tomorrow.
    Andrew Macpherson

That's frustrating on so many levels. I hope you're back on the road soon!
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Since your tech just touched all the sensors, I'd go with a sensor issue to start the process - something loose or bad. Always go with the last thing you changed before chasing new problems.

Well it's in his hands now, so fingers crossed and I'll report back as soon as I know anything.
    Andrew Macpherson

Frustrating it is.....but it looks like it has something to do with your 12 year service
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Sport Button On
    In over 10 years of driving my M5 almost everyday, the only 2 things that has kept the car from moving itself was a flat tire and a dead fuel pump. The fuel pump died around 100k miles though, but there was absolutely no warning for it. The car just didn't turn on. Ended up testing the pump with a multimeter to figure it out.

The only other issue that came close to putting me on the side of the road were bad MAFs, but unplugging them brought the car back to life to get me home at least.

Z8Mania
    Sorry Andrew. Unfortunately these things do happen. The good news is it seems like you are safe.

There i something very strange happening to my car, when they wave a rag over the right side of the engine bay, it cuts out. They have no idea why, so we are replacing both the MAF's to see if that solves it.
    Andrew Macpherson

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    There i something very strange happening to my car, when they wave a rag over the right side of the engine bay, it cuts out.
    That's very strange indeed. How did they even find out ? Is waving rags a new diagnostic procedure ? Your car is possessed or you have some very sophisticated and sensitive anti-theft system that you didn't know about.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

They actually sent me a couple of iPhone movies of it doing it, but I have no idea how to post them here. It seems like when anything comes close to the front right of the engine compartment it just cuts out? Next step, two new MAF's, after that I have no idea, but we'll see as it unfolds.
    Andrew Macpherson

They actually sent me a couple of iPhone movies of it doing it, but I have no idea how to post them here.
    We got to see this miracle...can't you upload them to youtube or vimeo?
    Ton

Glad to know you're OK but sad to hear of the stranding. How far from PP were you when this happened? Maybe you didn't notice a bird or something fly by the right front of the car?? I agree it is probably a sensor since that work was just finished. Keep us posted!

It looks like static electricity.....really funny
    Ton

So I now have new MAF's as well as all new sensors through out, and the car made it home!

It all added up to a $9000+ service bill, so hopefully it'll be all good for the next ten years. At these prices the 20% discount you get for being a BMW CCA member is well worth the cost of membership!
    Andrew Macpherson

Team Z8
    Pardon me, but it looks like you might have mis-typed that post...it reads "$9000.+"

Yep, those little sensors are expensive to replace, and the fix for the damned seat belt light was an $800 latch, along with the $1600 MAF's it all adds up, just think, I almost could have had a set of taillights for that! Ahh well, on the bright side at least it's not a depreciating asset!
    Andrew Macpherson

1600 for the MAFs!!!!!! I don't want to ruin your day Andrew, but I want to make sure no one else pays that much. You can get the sensors for $120 each and swap them yourself with a screw driver and two minutes of free time.

Well, at least you know you are set for the next ten years on these sensors. I haven't been able to replace one of the cam positions sensors myself because I can't reach it. I'm going to give it another go this weekend. This time removing the pipes and wiring in back of the engine.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

They are $600 each through BMW NA, but if you can show me a price for them that I can go back to Center BMW with, I guess I can try to dispute it.
    Andrew Macpherson

Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Argh, I hate that, but at least we have the info here if anyone else needs it! :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Thanks Andrew for taking one for the team... Again!

Z8Mania
    Sometimes you pay the price at the dealer. Its fine. If no one ever did, the dealers would be out of business and then there would be no one around to diagnose these problems. I'm glad they got it sorted out. For the record, BMWNA doesn't (or wouldn't to me anyway) sell the sensors without the whole assembly.

If you amortize it, its almost reasonable. $900/ year for service isn't too bad for an exotic car.

FWIW my car just started leaking wiper fluid. The grommet at the bottom of the fluid container failed.

What? Our cars have wiper fluid?

Z8Mania
    Up until now it was just unconfirmed rumor and the cause of much speculation. After all, it would be reasonable that the engineers would include such a feature. But now we have confirmation. What will they think of next?!

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    What? Our cars have wiper fluid?
    Did you guys know there is headlight cleaner too? I hit the button by accident and it scared the heck out of me.
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

Sport Button On - DSC Off Juergen Wunderlich's Avatar
    Hi Andrew,
    I would recommend to „save“ the old MAF’s and to get them repaired for the next time. Another idea could be something like a “supply chain" with repaired ones. These parts will never last forever…
    Just my two cents…
    Best Regards,

Jürgen

How are the sensors repaired? I tried cleaning mine, which worked for a few weeks, but then the engine seemed to drift back to its previous state.

excellent reference on MAFs:

How to test the MAFs yourself and How MAFs work - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

Z8Mania
    I had the same experience with cleaning the MAFS on my E39 M5. I've found a good practice is to complain the car feels down on power and so far at least the dealer has gotten them replaced under goodwill. And oh yeah, the wiper cleaners definitely are pretty fun!

Do we have to schedule to pump out our wiper fluid every 10 years to replace with new fluid? You know, just in case we need fresh fluid if we're caught in a sudden storm

Also, has anyone tested to see if the headlight washers actually work? Does anyone care?

Quote Originally Posted by tomfakes View Post
    Do we have to schedule to pump out our wiper fluid every 10 years to replace with new fluid? You know, just in case we need fresh fluid if we're caught in a sudden storm

Also, has anyone tested to see if the headlight washers actually work? Does anyone care?
    Considering where you live Tomfakes, I would think you know everything about washer fluid and headlight washers... Especially since you actually drive your car. Anyway, with the mileage I have on my car, I don't have to flush the reservoir and I know the washers work

Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

I don't often drive in the rain - and it often isn't raining here! - but the car can be a beast in the rain. I've had wheel spin in 4th on a wet road!

Team Z8
    The fuel pump appears to be a weakness here...I just had mine replaced at 44k miles.

Team Z8
    Thanks for the tip...That's a lot easier then the $1300+ the dealership wants to charge me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMates View Post

Quote Originally Posted by tomfakes View Post
    has anyone tested to see if the headlight washers actually work? Does anyone care?
    I have never had my headlight washers not come on automatically with the windshield wipers. Is that something that is programmable? Personally, I am not a fan of the headlight washers. I don't feel they do anything to clean the headlights and if you accidentally hit the wiper switch, your clean car is drenched in wiper fluid.

I have actually considered disconnecting them.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

I never use my windshield washers for this very reason.

Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
    Personally, I am not a fan of the headlight washers. I don't feel they do anything to clean the headlights and if you accidentally hit the wiper switch, your clean car is drenched in wiper fluid.

Do they always work? Mine work only when the headlights are on.
    Ton