Thread: IPhone music in the Z8

IPhone music in the Z8

Hi everyone,
    I am sure not the only one who wants to keep my Z8 original but dream of being able to be able to listen music from my iPhone.
    I found this on Amazon but not sure it works with our beloved car. They sell it for 112$.
    Has anybody tried it or something similar that works with the original factory radio ?

Amazon.com: Digital Music Changer for BMW 40pin Connector E46 E38 E39 X3 X5 Z4 Z8 Mini R5x -Huahee: Car Electronics

Thanks

JC

60737 - Silver / Red - Performance Package

I have installed Compare GROM Car Audio Integration Kits.

The unit fits nicely in place of the factory cd-changer. No modifications to any interior parts are required, so if you want to bring your car back to OEM standards all you need to do is replace the unit. It also charges iPod and iPhone.
    ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Z8Mania
    Wow- thats easy. What information from the iPhone can you see on the BMW screen?

Fantastic !! This seems exactly what we need !
    When I click on the link, I see 3 different models (USB2P, BT3, AND2). Do you remember which one you had ? It also states "trunk" which is confusing to me ...
    did you install it yourself or made by someone else due to technical complexity ?
    Thanks again !

I will post more info along with pictures of my installation process over the weekend.

The Grom unit does not improve the sound performance of the Z8 system but it goes a long way towards getting all your favorite music on board. I must admit that most of the time my radio unit button is off and the sport button is on!
    ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Great ! Many thanks.

GROM installation

Here are a few photos I took when installing the GROM unit in my Z8. The most time consuming part is removing the CD-changer behind the driver seat. For best access and clean project execution I recommend removal of the leather clad panel. Before I did that I disconnected the CD-changer to verify that its OEM plugs would fit the GROM unit and that there is proper connectivity.

I toyed with the idea of pulling the GROM wire harness under the carpeting into the middle console and finally decided against it, so long as everything in my car fits and holds up so nicely. So disregard the shift lever boot removal photos. I will post pictures how I ended up routing the cable later in the week. Did not have a chance to take the Z8 down from the car lift this weekend with that rainy Saturday and other car restoration projects taking priority.

Hope this helps.

ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Z8Mania
    Very nice- thank you for sharing this.

Thank you very much. This is really great. Do you connect your phone or mp3 with a 3.5mm jack or USB ? Also do you also have Bluetooth connection (phone calls & music) with your Grom IPD3 ? On the Grom website, they have the BT3 that has Bluetooth also. Just to see if it makes sense to buy BT3 that is a little more $$.
    Thanks again for this great post.

Grom BT3 bluetooth

Hello friends,
    Last week-end, I installed in my Z8 the GROM BT3 unit. o
    It has Bluetooth, a 3.5mm audio jack, a USB female charger. It works perfectly, great sound and the integration in the car is invisible.
    Now I can :
    - play music via Bluetooth (up to 5 phones) or via the 3.5mm jack.
    - charge any USB device (iphone 4, 5, ipod, android, etc.) with the USB female.
    - make/receive phone calls with Bluetooth. Sound is great, and Grom microphone is perfect (located in armrest).

All 3 cables (USB, Jack and microphone) are coming in the arm rest where the old phone is. See photo.
    All 3 cables for BT3 come from under back carpet with factory wires into the hole for old phone cord in armrest. See photo.
    CD Changer is still in his place (BT3 located behind it), but the cables are now connected to BT3. See photo.
    Everything invisible and no new hole needed.

I took pictures all along the process if you are interested.

Z8Mania
    Thank you- this is great. I might do this mod to my Z8 because it would nice to have an iPod vs the CD Changer. Do you have good control of the content?

you have all control of your music on your iPhone.
    Cannot control it on the head unit, which does not show music title.

Z8Mania
    Thank you for letting us know that. It wouldn't work for me.

what I mean is that you select/play your music on your iphone/ipod screen. It plays through the Z8 audio system with very good sound.
    The head unit radio only shows "track 1", and cannot change songs with the track buttons on the head unit. Meaning you cannot control your phone with the head unit.
    But you simply have to change the song on your iphone screen anytime, or play a long playlist.
    When you receive a phone call, the unit switches from music to phone, and when call ended, it goes back to your music.

I don't know if there is another system that allows the original head unit to control the phone or ipod. Since I want to keep my car as original as possible, I would be interested if there is such a system that allows to keep the original head unit that can control the iphone.

Thank you.

JC

Z8Mania
    Thanks JC. I understand. That just wouldn't work for me. I love my iPhone but I am not a touch screen fan for cars. I prefer something tactile when in motion.

Hi Jerry,
    I used the system last week-end, and actually you can change the musics songs with the 2 arrow tracks button on the left side of the head unit.
    I put my iphone in front of the head unit display, so I can see the songs, and change songs on the arrow buttons on the head unit.

Z8Mania
    Nice JC. I'm glad that's working for you. I tend to just leave the sports radio on in the background when I drive anyway. I'm going to leave well enough alone. For the times I want music I have some good Led Zeppelin CDs in there....

Led Zep' is perfect for this car ! Enjoy.

I'm going on a long drive soon, and this looks like something I might want to try to get some different music than my current in-car CD collection.

I'd love to see all the photos you have for this install, and whatever insight you have for taking the car apart and putting it back together.

I will try to write detailed guidelines for you this week. When is your trip ?

That sounds great - I'm not leaving until the middle of May, but I need to leave enough time for my service guy to fix whatever mess I get myself into!

Here is the guideline I made to install GROM BT3 in the Z8. I made it a pdf to keep the sequence of instructions.
    It took me 3 hours on a Saturday, but I am not a mechanic... so I guess anybody can do it.
    I drove my car last week-end and it works well :
    Bluetooth works fine for music, for the Iphone built in navigation, and for phone calls. Everything goes to the speakers of the cars.
    The BT3 unit switches from one to another automatically (when navigation speaks, or when you receive/give a call) and goes back to music when calls are ended.

Hope it helps and let us know how it works with you.

Best,

JC

Quote Originally Posted by jc.guilbaud View Post
    Here is the guideline I made to install GROM BT3 in the Z8. I made it a pdf to keep the sequence of instructions.
    It took me 3 hours on a Saturday, but I am not a mechanic... so I guess anybody can do it.
    I drove my car last week-end and it works well :
    Bluetooth works fine for music, for the Iphone built in navigation, and for phone calls. Everything goes to the speakers of the cars.
    The BT3 unit switches from one to another automatically (when navigation speaks, or when you receive/give a call) and goes back to music when calls are ended.

Hope it helps and let us know how it works with you.

Best,

JC
    Are you in the publishing business??? If not you should be . Fantastic Presentation !
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

JC -

What did you do with the mic? Did you leave it in the center console and then take it out for calls or did I miss something? This sounds like a great install and very similiar to what I did years ago disconnecting the changer and hardwiring the Dice unit to the CD changer wires exactly as this is done. The Dice is connected to my iPod with over 400 CDs (pre-cloud...). My iPod is sits in the center console and I am able to change the music with the head unit arrows exactly like you can.

Upgrading to the GROM would add the phone cabability and handsfree operation which I would like a lot. My only concern is the possible reduction in sound quality due to the bluetooth connection vs. being hardwired, but this isn't a true audiophile system in the first place, so it may not be audible...

Let me know about the microphone.

Thanks - again, what a fantastic job with the documentation. Saved in my iBooks!
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

This is much more than I was expecting! I have my unit on order, so in a week or 2 I'll give this a go and report back.

Hi Skip,
    thank you very much for your nice comments. I just want to help the "Z8 family". I am not in publishing business, I do window mannequins in Los Angeles (which is helpful in car pool lane...).
    You are right about the mic, I left it inside the arm rest because I did not want to run a long wire to the dashboard or even to the rearview mirror (where original mic is). The car is so perfectly adjusted that I thought I would be risky.

The mic can either stay in arm rest (it can stay vertical even when closed) or it can be just put outside (wire is so thin that you can close the arm rest). See pictures attached.

Regarding sound, I cant complain. Mic works fine in this small car, and Bluetooth is good too. In case you find Bluetooth not good enough for you, there is the 3.5mm jack this is directly wired to the BT3.

Fell free to ask more, it is a pleasure !

JC

I wonder if there would be a way to connect to the existing mike that is there form the original phone. Sure would make it a very clean install.
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

this is a great idea.
    We need to have the exact wiring blueprint of the phone system in order to find the mic wire that goes from the phone unit in the back of the driver's seat to the rear view mirror.
    Then, we could maybe cut the old mic wire and connect it to the BT3 mic wire. Hoping there is no electrical incompatibility between the two.
    If someone has the detail wiring of the phone system, I can look into it.

So whoever put my car together clearly decided to weld all the screws in place, you know, "just in case". I'm sending this to my mechanic who'll probably get this done in 20 mins.

that is not cool...