Thread: Porsche 964 Turbo S Leichtbau "Lightweight" :: 1992 Porsche Turbo S Leichtbau

1. Porsche 964 Turbo S Leichtbau "Lightweight"
    General Information
    Porsche 964 Turbo S Leichtbau "Lightweight"
    Porsche
    Turbo S Leichtbau
    Silver

In late 1992 to celebrate its IMSA victories Porsche created the Turbo S Leichtbau by taking a handful of Turbo cars (81 or 86), applying the RS lightweight philosophy, and upgrading the engine. The result was a car 400 lbs lighter and about 60 hp stronger than the standard Turbo. ROW only, and different from the 1994 Turbo S w had a full luxury interior and different engine.

Comments: 21 / Views: 12456
    Wow, I wasn't even aware of that one, what a stunning car, how is it to drive?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Hi Andrew, very raw, very involving, which is why I am a big fan of the air-cooled Porsches compared to the more contemporary cars. Basically a 964 RS on steroids - most of the reviewers of the day spoke about widow-maker type behaviour, given the large single turbo, the light weight, and the driving dynamics of 911s in general. You need to respect the car to be able to drive it well. At slow speeds - no power assist - you know you are driving an older Porsche, but at speed that engine + the light weight just produces joy.

Z8Mania
    This is absolutely fantastic. Nicely done. What a beautiful 911 and the specs are really amazing. Congratulations!

Thanks Jerry. I lucked out a few years ago when I found this car in pristine condition. Subsequent to the 1992 "Lightweight", the Porsche "Turbo S" designation changed course, w the 1994 964, 993, 996, 997, and now 991 "Turbo S" cars carrying high spec luxury interiors + cosmetic enhancements, in addition to the enhanced Turbo engine. The spiritual successors to this car are the 993 GT2 and the 997 GT2 RS - the RS lightweight treatment to a turbo body with Porsche's most powerful road engine.

Beautiful and a car to be respected from your description! I am a fan of Porsche's polar silver on cars of that era. Congratulations on your amazing find.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Z8Mania
    Thanks for the writeup on that Carlos. I am now a little more knowledgable about Porsches than I was before.

Amazing Car!!!!!!! Nothing much to say here. That car makes me cry and smile at the same time.

Thanks guys. I added a pix of the semi-race interior, which is as it came from factory, you can see where some of the weight has been stripped.

Is this a "committed relationship"?

Haha, I am not sure I understand the question, but yes, it is "committed", but one of many for me, so in no way exclusive.

I love the interior too, post more pix!
    Andrew Macpherson

Team Z8
    Carlos,
    Your taste in cars is excellent!! I also love the 993 GT2. I have similar tastes with a slightly weaker budget: 1998 C2S in Mirage Metallic (only one), 1973 BMW 3.0Csl, and my 2002 Z8.
    All the best,
    Chris

As requested, I have posted a few more photos, but I can only see the new photos when I go into my "Garage". Hopefully, the additional photos are visible to you. If not, maybe Andrew can help.

Thanks again.

I tried looking in your garage, but can't see them there, for some reason I don't understand this software plug in doesn't seem to accept edits once posted. As annoying as this is, could you make a new post for this car and add in all the pix in the suitable areas, and see if that will take. Sorry not to be more help, but we are between tech support teams once again!
    Andrew Macpherson

Thanks Andrew, how about I try to load some additional photos directly into this thread, and if that does not work I will reload the entire car as soon as I find the time.

Is that Otis Chandler's old 996 GT3 in Minerva blue behind your car?
    Andrew Macpherson

Andrew, the car in the background is actually a Paint-To-Sample Riviera Blue GT3 RS 4.0, considered by many to be the swan song of the late and sorely missed 997 line of Porsche 911s.

Just a few days ago Porsche announced that it was replacing ALL the engines of the new 991 GT3s sold to date due to fire risk, about 780 cars or so. Feel badly for the owners. It used to be the case that the GT engines were heavily tested and raced before going into the production GT cars. Sad day when Porsche threw its hat into the numbers game, performance-wise and volume wise - my opinion, of course.

- - - Updated - - -

The relative overexposure is washing out the blue - the color is deeper and slightly darker in real life.

After a spirited run, and a fun wash, the natural lighting cooperated...

All I can say is WOW!!!
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

So lovely, congratulations and bravo!
    Andrew Macpherson