Thread: Z8 Owners Survey: Technical, Service, Mobility related concerns

Exclamation Z8 Owners Survey: Technical, Service, Mobility related concerns

I will attend Techno Classica in Essen the last week of March. Techno Classica Essen

BMW Z8 Club e.V. has a display there within the BMW Group exhibit. I am sure we will meet with representatives from BMW Classic again this year. It would be interesting to know what kind of technical, service and mobility related issues visitors of this board currently are experiencing with their Z8s.

Please respond by March 15th so that I can compile a spreadsheet of what is on this forum's mind and what should be addressed by BMW.

Please keep it brief and to the point and add your country of registration and current mileage to your feedback.

Christian
    ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Z8Mania
    Thank you for doing that Christian.

Right now I'm not experiencing any but I have experienced most of the usual issues in the past. One worry I have is the long term damage the ethanol in the fuel is doing to our motors.

Im in New York.

The biggest thing is getting parts for all the known issues that will correct those issues for once and always. New dashboards with better glue, head lamps that don't for, tail lamps with neon looking lifelong LED's, radio unit repair and refurb are the first that spring to mind.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I have seen all weak points of the car too. I am still concerned about the working of the airbags. I have seen a lot of pictures of crashed Z8 where the airbags are not deployed. Last year BMW did a recall on the 3 Series from the same manufacturing period and the same maker (Takana) Coincidence or did they forget to check our car?
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    Thank you for doing that Christian.

Right now I'm not experiencing any but I have experienced most of the usual issues in the past. One worry I have is the long term damage the ethanol in the fuel is doing to our motors.

Im in New York.
    Jerry, what fuel related problems have you encountered?

My fuel problem related experience so far only has been with cars that have been sitting for a long time (over a year or so). I only use Shell or Chevron Premium. Both my Z8s are 2001 models and in the high 20k / low 30k miles range. One of them I only get to drive 2 or 3 times a year. Neither one appears to have fuel related issues at this point.

Cheers,

Christian.
    ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Z8Mania
    I have seen no problems so far but I've seen various parts (fuel regulator) wearing out on cars from pre 2003, just like our Z8s. The ethanol is the culprit. I use Shell too but sometimes Mobil. I'm just saying thats on my watch list.

One of the biggest impact issues I've experienced (and a few others have also) is when the fuel door won't open with the electric solenoid OR the manual release cable. It appears to be a plastic part in the chain that disconnects for some reason (as in my case) or breaks. The reason this is such a big impact is obvious...without gas you're stuck!

Thank you Christian for taking up this topic with BMW Classics. As a follow up to the above recommendations, I believe it would be beneficial to both BMW and its customers to develop preventative maintenance kits based on time intervals. For example, developing now a 15 year cycle kit with headlight lenses, neon lights, leather dash, gas door mechanism, etc at a discounted pre-purchase price would give owners an incentive to consider such maintenance while providing BMW a more predictable supply chain of parts and also ensuring its halo sports car is well preserved. Just a thought...
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Thats actually a great idea, I like it!
    Andrew Macpherson

A great idea indeed!
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Z8Mania
    That is a very good idea and I would be inclined to support it.

Ed, I really think you are on to something here. Various mobility kits to cover known soft spots and limited life cycle parts for preventive maintenance, based on mileage and time factor. I will definitely bring it up when meeting with our fellow Z8 Club members in Germany.

cheers,

Christian
    ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

For what its worth my car is getting it's major 12 year service right now, and based on the history of our cars one of the things i'm doing is replacing all the O2 & Cam Position sensors, as well as a steering sensor that seems to have gone bad. It seems the sensors are weak links in an otherwise very strong engine, so doing a full replacement kit could be good.

My car also has a leaking valve cover, and I seem to remember a few other have suffered that too, so a gasket and filter set, along with belts and tensioners might be good too.

I know there's been talk of replacing the hoses every ten years or so, but all mine are in perfect condition, and so we decided to leave them be for the moment.
    Andrew Macpherson

Christian, I've made this a sticky until the meeting, and also wanted to add the LED taillight replacement idea as the $10,000 to replace the rear lights is just ridiculous. If BMW can't make parts at a reasonable price, then we have to. Please bring this up at the board meeting, and see if they are interested in starting an alternative manufacturing.
    Andrew Macpherson

Andrew thank you for the sticky. Hope to get more input.

As for the tail lights, Techno Classica takes place a week before the club's general membership meeting. I am sure this will be a topic at both events. I will be in Germany for both events.
    ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Z8Mania
    I agree and it seems there are enough of us here that could make a go of a group buy.

mjunco1054
    Christian,
    not sure if this has happened to others, but my California Z8 would sometimes misfire when cold, so I had it taken to the dealer and they found that the coil packs had failed and the misfiring had fouled the plugs and that was causing the misfiring. Not sure if anyone else has experienced that problem. The car has 21,050 milestone good part is that the parts were readily available and did not need months to get them from Germany.
    thanks,
    Manuel
    Manuel Junco
    2001 Z8 60373 (Silver/Black)
    2001 Z8 60430 (Silver/Red)
    1976 2002
    2014 535i daily driver
    2016 M4 GTS

Manuel, thank you for sharing. Fortunately I have not had this kind of problem (yet) with either car. It will be interesting to see who else shares your experience.
    ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8