Thread: Head unit replacement?

Z8 Novice

Head unit replacement?

Hey, first time logging in here in years... So I should probably have started looking into this long ago, but what's considered the best bet for a head unit replacement these days? I'm looking for;

- bluetooth audio+phone
    - FM and optionally sat radio
    - preferably NO CD
    - NAV preferred

I was surprised not to find much discussion of this, except for one mention of a Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS in a thread from last year. There was also mention of an Alpine unit, but it's been discontinued.

My understanding is that the size of the Z8 enclosure is a bit less than a "standard" size so it's not a straightforward choice (or install).

What's everyone using?

I think most of us are more interested in preserving the original unit than replacing it with some soon to date new one, so beyond what you've seen I don't have any suggestions.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    I just use a small jawbone headset when I drive the Z8. I like the look of the stock head unit and the arrows based nav works fine for me.

That said, you could probably keep the stock head unit and add those things after the fact, but you would need to find a good shop to do the work. I think it is doable but it will be expensive. I would take great care to not alter the stock head unit mounting area nor the stock speaker enclosures.

A lot of people use their smartphone for the nav. I tried it recently and it worked great.

I don't think the Z8 is really the car to drive if you want to have a long phone call or listen to a fantastic sounding stereo because there is so much wind noise. JMHO.

Team Z8
    I think somebody on the forum (several yrs. ago) made a phone holder that used the cup holder slot in our cars...really like to have one made that matches the interior trim of the car.

Bluetooth in Z8

Hello friends,
    I am reading your posts and hope I can share my experience with Bluethooth in Z8.
    I did no want to change the car at all, keep same head unit, same speakers, keep CD-changer in place, but be able to listen to my Iphone/ipod music and make/receive phone calls wirelessly.

Last week-end, I installed in my Z8 the GROM BT3 unit (130$)

It has Bluetooth, a 3.5mm audio jack, a USB female charger. It works perfectly, great sound and the integration in the car is invisible.

Now I can :
    - play music via Bluetooth (up to 5 phones) or via the 3.5mm jack.
    - charge any USB device (iphone 4, 5, ipod, android, etc.) with the USB female.
    - make/receive phone calls with Bluetooth. Sound is great, and Grom microphone is perfect (located in armrest, just need to open it).

All cables (USB, Jack and microphone) are coming in the arm rest where the old phone is. See photo.
    All cables for BT3 come from under back carpet with factory wires into the hole for old phone cord in armrest. See photo.
    CD Changer is still in his place (BT3 located behind it), but disconnected since the cables are now connected to BT3. See photo.
    Everything invisible and no new hole needed.

I took pictures all along the process if you are interested.

Cheers,

JC

60737 - Silver / Red - Performance Package

Does the stock headunit have any amplification in adition to the amp located under the seat or is it a pure tuner/controller?
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S