Thread: Z8 owner botofogo's amazing car collection

Z8 owner botofogo's amazing car collection

Our last drive of the year was made extra special because a very gracious invite to visit one of our fellow owners wonderful private collection.

The day started well before dawn, with Old Baillie & I meeting in the usual spot at the top of Laurel Canyon, and driving the ridge of Mulholland to the Lux in total darkness. We met up with Mark there, then the raced up to the top of Topanga to catch the dawn, but the only band of clouds we've seen in a fortnight managed to obscure it. Unfazed we zipped on to a fortifying breakfast at the Marmalade. By the time we came out the clouds had vanished and California's wonderful winter weather returned to its normal beautiful self for our run down the coast to the airfield where botofogo's collection is spread through three hangers. The cars are all quite unique, and many of them have a pedigree or provenance that sets them apart from their contemporaries. By all means feel free to ask questions, and I'll make sure to get answers for you on everything.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    You can call that a "collection" .......beautiful !!!
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Congratulations to the collector of these fabulous vehicles that includes three of my favorite cars from Stuttgart, the 911RS, the 959, and the Carrera GT! If there is a return visit let me know and I'll make the trip to SoCal.

A few questions come to mind:

• Are these vehicles drivers or kept in the hangers except for the occasional concours exhibit?
    • Is this collection of cars static, or is there turnover to trade for other vehicles of interest?
    • How long has the owner been assembling this collection cars? Given the recent uptick in collectable car values, this collection must be a fun appreciating asset to own!
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Z8 Novice

garage tour

Quote Originally Posted by EDEZ8 View Post
    Congratulations to the collector of these fabulous vehicles that includes three of my favorite cars from Stuttgart, the 911RS, the 959, and the Carrera GT! If there is a return visit let me know and I'll make the trip to SoCal.

A few questions come to mind:

• Are these vehicles drivers or kept in the hangers except for the occasional concours exhibit?
    • Is this collection of cars static, or is there turnover to trade for other vehicles of interest?
    • How long has the owner been assembling this collection cars? Given the recent uptick in collectable car values, this collection must be a fun appreciating asset to own!
    thank you for your kind words. you are welcome to visit any time.
    all my cars are driven regularly. the only exception is the xj220 which has it's original 20 year old tires. we're searching for replacements.
    we are constantly on the look out for new additions. we plan to be in Scottsdale next month for the auctions.
    the collection started in 2000, right after surviving Y2K.

Thank you for your responses and for the future invitation! I'm glad to learn that you are enjoying your collection on the road too.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Z8Mania
    Amazing collection. Thank you for sharing and thank you Andrew for the pictures.

Wow. Everything I could want in one place. Even the colors are right!

Sport Button On - DSC Off Kevin's Avatar
    Amazing group of cars, how do you chose which one to drive? Thanks for sharing the pics.
    2003 Z8 Silver/Black AH62031 (Sold)

Z8 Novice

garage tour

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Amazing group of cars, how do you chose which one to drive? Thanks for sharing the pics.
    good question. we keep a log to record things like service requirements and when each car was last driven. Ideally each car is on the road at least every other month. In other words, the cars choose us, we don't choose which one to drive.

now a question for you: I need a 507 to complete the collection. Any ideas where to find one?

Quote Originally Posted by botofogo View Post
    now a question for you: I need a 507 to complete the collection. Any ideas where to find one?
    RM Auctions coming March
    1957 BMW 507 Series II Roadster | Amelia Island 2014 | RM AUCTIONS

and several in Europe

18802 premium cars for sale: Anamera
    Ton

Z8Mania
    Whats going on with the seemingly mis matching numbers on that car???????

Not sure about those numbers, but I'd love to get me hands of a 507 for a day of photography!
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    Whats going on with the seemingly mis matching numbers on that car???????
    The chassis and body have different numbers. I recently bought this excellent BMW publication....an excellent book

BMW 507: BMW History xxxxx-xxxxx Bentley Publishers - Repair Manuals and Automotive Books
    Ton

Z8Mania
    I bought the same book! Just haven't read it yet. Is that common for 507s? Seems odd and the fact that the VIN plate looks like it was scratched out and a number replaced doesn't make me feel too good. I would question any information any auction house puts out as fact.

Is that common for 507s?
    It is a book about " what do we want with this car" It wasn't a straight production model. But I would ask the same question about the re numbering ...for a probable million and half you want to know those "details"
    Ton

Z8Mania
    Yes, I know the history of the 507. Nearly bankrupted BMW. RM sold another 507 in NYC a few weeks ago for big money and there were some details that didn't quite add up.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Wow... that is an awesome collection - museum really! How do you like the LFA - had a chance to pick one up for a very reasonably price a little while ago and didn't, and regretted it.

Glad you are able to take them out and enjoy them! The Z8 I just bought sat in a garage for the last 3 years, yearning to get out :-)

Cheers,

Pat

Sport Button On - DSC Off Kevin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by botofogo View Post
    thank you for your kind words. you are welcome to visit any time.
    all my cars are driven regularly. the only exception is the xj220 which has it's original 20 year old tires. we're searching for replacements.
    we are constantly on the look out for new additions. we plan to be in Scottsdale next month for the auctions.
    the collection started in 2000, right after surviving Y2K.
    Any new additions since going to Scottsdale?
    2003 Z8 Silver/Black AH62031 (Sold)

Sport Button On
    I am extremely envious that I am so far away and not able to enjoy the collection

Just returned from South Africa watching my brothers Lotus 15 and original 1965 Shelby Mustang race at Johannesberg and then Cape Town what a change from 5 years ago when I took our DB4.

Today Cape Town is a vibrant community with major investment and we saw several Ferraris, Astons and a couple of Lamborghini's but no Z8's

Nice cars! I have to ask since I'm in Brazil right now: should his name be spelled Botafogo? Like one of the most famous football teams in Brazil?
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar
    What a nice collection and a great mix of old and future classics. (SLR are on the move up from what I'm seeing.) On my very first trip to Germany I came across an older gentleman driving this car. Back in 1988 I'd never seen nor even knew of a 507 before....and frankly, back then I think few thought much about the car. Note the petrol spills by the filler! I snapped these 35 mm images. I've always wondered what happened to that car. I was just a teenager then but even then knew it was special and something I wanted. I wonder where it is today. Do you attend any of the Cars and Coffee weekend events here in SoCal?

I like that 507 in the original, "driver" condition. It would be great if it were still unrestored today. I even like the luggage rack.

Wow, that's awesome, thanks for sharing!

Is the Cars & Coffee you asked about the one in Irvine?
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    you're right about the misspelling. it's easier to remember all "o"s.

You got me curious about the derivation of the name, Botafogo, which literally translates as "set it on fire". I knew the team got it's name from the neighborhood in Rio called Botafogo, but why was the neighborhood called "set it on fire"? From Wikipedia:

Botafogo was named after Joćo Pereira de Sousa Botafogo, who was responsible for the galleon Botafogo's artillery, so he included the ship’s name in his family name. When he went to live in Brazil, the Portuguese Crown granted him the land known today as Botafogo.

anyway: really nice toys! Sure wish I lived in CA so I could take part in these outings.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete