Thread: Anyone tried refinishing interior aluminum pieces?

Anyone tried refinishing interior aluminum pieces?

The shift knob, parking brake trim, and driver's side door pull trim on my car (red/black sport interior) have some scratches and I recently placed an order for new pieces. After several weeks I had not received them, and I called the dealer to find out the status of my order. I was told the two trim pieces were out of stock in the US, but were available in Germany and would be arriving shortly. On the other hand, the shift knob (the red (rot) version), was out of stock in the US AND Germany, and no way to tell when, if ever, it would become available.

While my preference would be for a new shift knob, if that is not likely to happen any time soon if ever the next best option might be to refinish the aluminum trim on my existing knob. The red leather is in fine shape, only the aluminum shows wear. Anybody have experience in this area? Other thoughts?

Best,

Bill

The shift knob and hand brake are both plastic, so they aren't easily refinishable, but I do remember somebody posting that the door sills can be done with chrome polish and very, very fine wire-wool. Since you have a new set on order it might be worth trying.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

The shift knob and hand brake are both plastic
    I replaced all the pieces Bill mentioned but they are not plastic: handbrake cover, door pull, shift knob are made from aluminum sheet on a plastic base. They can be polished but than you loose the matt look but maybe a workshop can you help you out. If you want to I can give it a try with a german BMW workshop to find the parts
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Thanks, Ton. I will wait and see what develops from the order placed with the dealer, but may enlist your help if nothing is forthcoming. Do you think "cosmetic" items such as the shift knob fall within the parameters of BMW's 50 year commitment on parts for the Z8?

Best,

Bill

Do you think "cosmetic" items such as the shift knob fall within the parameters of BMW's 50 year commitment on parts for the Z8?
    Every piece of the car, but they gave no guarantee about time and costs
    Ton

Ton,

On further reflection, I would indeed appreciate it if you could check out your contacts with regard to finding a red gearshift knob. I contacted a gentleman at NM-motorsport in England who in turn contacted BMW, who in effect indicated they are out of stock and probably won't be restocked. Although I have an order submitted with a US supplier, I suspect I am going to come up empty.

Best wishes for a Merry Christmas,

Bill

Bill,

I got the confirmation today that it is shipped.
    Ton

Team Z8
    I've spent the last hour looking at youtube videos from dipmycar.com Some very cool ideas for re-spraying parts and maybe an easy fix instead of replacing interior parts on our cars.

Check out Rennlist 977 board. There are some pictures of door handles done with this. Here is one:

Plasti dip interior door handles - Rennlist Discussion Forums
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

As recently as last May I was able to order an aluminum E-brake handle trim piece #34-41-1-166-001 for $88 from my local BMW dealer. It arrived in 2 weeks, but don't know where they sourced it. It just snaps into place.

I replaced my handbrake trim piece and the small door panel as well. Inexpensive, but took a week or two to get the parts. Possibly from Germany. I don't think Des Moines has a great supply of Z8 parts on hand...
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Sport Button On
    Hi Bill
    I have just replaced handbrake cover and near side door handle here in the UK both in stock, but have had the gear leaver on order for 3 months and am still awaiting to hear.
    My dealer assures me that they are making a new batch, but no news yet. Will let you know if it arrives.
    Happy New Z8 motoring year
    Guy