Thread: Potential Purchase

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Potential Purchase

Hi everyone,

I have been negotiating on a Z8 and need to decide today. Here is your checklist with the results. Wondering if you can give me an idea of value in your minds.

Z8 - '01, silver/black Prod 02/01, 28000 miles, paint in great condition, interior very good condition. Biggest negatives are the small roof issue and the fogged headlights.

Check for shock tower deformation. All good
    Verify if a Performance Package has been installed. No
    Verify if tires are OEM runflats or new tires installed (Michelin PS2's are preferred by Z8 owners on this site) New Bridgestone Run flats
    Check front dam/spoiler for damage. Good
    Check hood underliner for damage (cuts, wears, and all push pins). Good
    Check firewall liner for damage. Good
    Check wheels for damage - chips, bent, or curb rash. Good
    Get underneath the car - check for damage to rocker panels, cables, and lines. Good

ENGINE / DRIVETRAIN:
    Check receipts for regular fluid flushes even on low mileage cars. Not great record, but a few available
    Get all maintenance documentation,
    Verify maintenance stamps in owners manual up to date. Not available
    Check service records for VANOS issue fix on cars # 60000 > 60800. More VANOS info here. A little confused here as I have read different thoughts. This one is 60593
    Check the radiator for dirt accumulation. OK
    Have your dealer check the MAF's. OK
    The Z8 is a battery eater, make sure you have a fresh battery if possible, and keep it trickle charged. Not new but starts very well
    Check battery compartment for 90 degree vent through the underneath ($3 part from dealer) OK

INTERIOR / EXTERIOR:
    Interior/Exterior color combinations raise rarity factor further, but only 5703 ever made and only half that made it to the U.S. Silver/Black
    Trim Types - Z8 and Alpina (2002/3 automatic only - 555 made)
    Check to see if all body panels have VIN stickers. Good
    Check body seams for conformity and black plastic strip inserted. Good
    Check for dashboard delamination. Good
    Check soft top condition, pay special attention to the strings, the canvas above doors and the rear window. Small hole starting in the usual place on passenger side. They will repair, but likely still visible
    Check that you get the hard top plastic vent covers (2) for inside the shell when installed are present. Good
    Check hard top tips for damaged. OK
    Check hard top protective mounting caps (plastic bobs) are available when top uninstalled. OK
    Check that all latches in cockpit work (behind seats, console, glove box and hidden radio, cigarette lighter, and cigarette holder) OK
    Verify if original (BMW logo bottom left hand corner) windshield installed (original with driver side sticker) or OEM replacement. After-market windshields can be prone to cracking. Good
    Check that the radio is working correctly, the OEM unit is prone to problems. Good
    Check heated seats. Good
    Check that seat backs are correctly attached, the top clips are prone to becoming unglued (see fix in Problems/Solution forum). Good
    Check air conditioning. Good
    Check all lights working (costly taillights and turn signals) Good
    Check for unfogged rearview mirror. Good
    Check for unfogged or chipped headlamps (see any spiderwebs beware) and working washers. Slightly fogged
    Check the paint with a paint meter if possible. All panels seem to have VIN, paint looks good

ANCILLARIES:

Verify you have all 4 keys (2 regular, 1 valet (Light Grey with Metal), 1 emergency key (Black Plastic Wallet) Good
    Check for original BMW cell phone - Motorola CPT 7000 & Timeport 8767 were both used, home charger is a plus. None
    Check for OEM flashlight behind driver's seat is installed. OK but dead
    Check for navigation CDs (six pack disc holder) and navigation CD packaging for 2000>2002 cars, or DVD's on '03 cars. New DVDs ordered by BMW
    Get the factory Z8 leather key case/fob NO
    Verify that you have all books & documentation, (VIN plated coffee table book with box, sample interior leather and Polaroid, owners manual, window stickers, Z8 leather glovebox booklet with owner's manual, the original BMW VIN stamped Roadside Assistance Card, front license plate) Only basic docs
    Verify that you have all the trunk components (first aid kit, windscreen/bag, softboot/bag, toolkit (all tools and gloves), battery trickle charger and cup holder. There is no emergency reflector in US Zs (lead based - restricted import item) Good
    Check for hardtop storage cover. Missing
    Check for hardtop storage rack - with original box is better. Missing

Thanks for any thoughts!

Looks to me as a good car. You need another 5 to 6k to fix the issues and buy the missing items. Don't have an idea on the US prices but check Autrader for reference prices
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Thanks - how much is the softtop replacement if that becomes required... any ideas?

OEM a few thousand
    Ton

110-120 car?

It is my understanding that the VANOS issue was resolved on cars produced after 12/2000. My car (0536) was built in January, 2001 so you should be fine since you are approximately 60 cars after mine. Sounds like a nice car, I have had mine for almost a month now and am loving it. Let me know how you make out with the top repair, since mine has a similar issue and am planning to get it repaired sometime before the spring.

Bill

There is also an alternative soft replacement that was posted a few months ago, what appealed to me was that you can order in any color.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On
    I had a small tear in the roof which I had repaired but after a while just dosnt look right so three weeks ago had my soft top replaced in the UK cost was 3000 ($4800)fitted.

Dealer was excellent charged me cost price for the roof as was embarrassed by BMW charge, car now looks fantastic, but try not to have the roof up that often!!

Sport Button On - DSC Off Doug Dolan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    There is also an alternative soft replacement that was posted a few months ago, what appealed to me was that you can order in any color.
    Here's the alternative site: AutoBerry.com | BMW Z8 Convertible Soft Top Replacement + Headliner (2000-2003) - Convertible Tops | Seat Covers | Headliners=

BTW, I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has any experience with this alternative? When I queried AutoBerry some time ago they said they had sold around thirty Z8 replacement tops.
    Doug Dolan
    61297 - Stratus / Crema

Thanks guys... current negotiated price is 107 USD.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the US!

I'd say you're in the ballpark.
    Andrew Macpherson

One more question - I plan on using this car fairly regularly - would likely put on 4k miles per year. In your opinions, how has that impacted value typically - should I be assuming normal depreciation from this price, or is there a typical mileage cap that seems to still allow these cars to have the high value to collectors?

The only difference I see is the gap between "very low mileage" ( < 10K) and very high mileage (>80K) All in between gives some but not huge differences. A real collectors car is IMO the < 10K) So drive the car :-)
    Ton

Thanks for the quick response... that seems to align very well with the prices I see on ebay and autotrader. What I can never figure out though is those cars in the 90k range that seems as clean as this one, which is why I asked.

- - - Updated - - -

sorry, further to my comment - the 90k cars without much more mileage than this one.

Pulled the trigger today - proud owner as of tomorrow! Will post pics when I pick 'er up! Thanks for your help and for such an informative forum!

Cheers,

PW

Congratulations! You will love it. This forum will be very helpful to you as you get to know your car and make it your own.

Bill

Congratulations!
    Ton

Congratulations, look forward to seeing the pix!
    Andrew Macpherson

Where are you located?

Z8Mania
    Congratulations, given the mileage on the car already I doubt your 4k a year will really hurt its value. But don't do this for value, do it for the passion.

Thanks for the insight everyone! I am in Vancouver, Can. If anyone else is up here... would be great to go for a drive!

Cheers,

PW