Thread: Successor of our car?

Successor of our car?

Name:  BMW-i8-roadster-07-655x433.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  56.8 KB

Another BMW i vehicle to show up in Los Angeles is the BMW i8 Spyder, or i8 Roadster has BMW labeled it for now.

The Spyder Concept is a 2 seater, open top variant with the same architecture but with a lot more curb appeal. Among the most eye-catching features of the BMW i8 Concept Spyder are the upward-swivelling, windowless doors.

The i8 Spyder uses the same LifeDrive architecture as the i8, a carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP) Life module that gives the car an extremely lightweight passenger cell, while the Drive modules Ė made primarily from aluminum components Ė bring together all the carís operational driving functions, such as the powertrain, chassis and safety structure.
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

I guess in that it is a pinnacle of sorts, but it isn't a car I'd have any interest in at all. While it's looks are interesting, I wouldn't describe it as a beauty, and it's tech is neither here nor there. I would rather just go the whole hog and get a Tesla if I was going down this path.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Agreed....it is a nice piece of (future) machinery. But to futuristic, too concept car like ...and so Toyota with this blue lining. But I think in a couple of years very few are sold and they will become rare!
    Ton

Regrettably, another overwrought styling effort by BMW.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Kevin's Avatar
    Personally really like the look of it, it's reminiscent of the M1. And if the tech in the car proves to be reliable I may replace my 911 with it as an everyday car.
    2003 Z8 Silver/Black AH62031 (Sold)

I agree that as a leased daily driver it has potential, but I wouldn't get up at the crack of dawn to photograph it, or start a website dedicated to it.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Kevin, are you thinking about the roadster or the coupe?
    Ton

Z8Mania
    I don't see how its a successor to the Z8. The i8 is not limited production and its not a homage to anything. Its meant to be a whole new series and if they can keep selling it for years and years they will. I don't really care for its looks. I think its OK but not stunning or gorgeous. Its too compromised to be my daily driver.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Kevin's Avatar
    If I get one it would be in 1-2 years as I want to make sure all the new tech on the car works well and don't want to be BMW's test dummy, however if I do get one Id get the coupe as I believe its a 4 seater so its more practical for daily use.
    2003 Z8 Silver/Black AH62031 (Sold)

Good call on the wait-and-see Kevin. I really like the short front overhang.

Z8Mania
    I like the ~M3 performance and ~100 MPG. Very innovative by BMW.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    ........ Id get the coupe as I believe its a 4 seater so its more practical for daily use.
    I have seen the coupe 6 weeks ago: very little space behind the front seats, enough for kids but ......
    Ton

Breaking news!

BMW i8 sold out for 2014
    Ton

It is an intriguing package of tech that seems to foreshadow BMW's future, but I'd like to also see something that is the polar opposite: light weight, high performance, simple, classic styling. I think there are more than a few of us automotive fossils who would open a checkbook for such a car.
    2002 red/crema Z8, gone, but not forgotten