Thread: Removing seat back?

Removing seat back?

As many of you might have experience already, the plastic shell on the back of my driver's seat has come adrift. The top clips are off, the side clips are free, but the back is being held in place by the two bottom clips. I tried pulling it free, but no joy- I am afraid of breaking the clips, or worse, the shell itself. Anybody know what the trick is here?

thanks,

Bill

You can find the repair link for the seat back here: ForumBMW Z8Body, Interior and Exterior Seat back clip repair. My car had this issue too and if I remember correctly I put the seat in the forward position and pushed the seat back down to remove.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Well, I finally got the seat back off, although my technique was not the greatest. One of the bottom clips ended up coming unglued from the seat back in the process, which will require re-gluing along with the two top clips. I did, however, learn what the "trick" is for getting the bottom clips off.
    If you are looking down on the clips ( the plastic seat back shell presumably would be angled back at this point) you can see that there is a tab (part of the clip component that stays with the seat) which is centered between the sides of the clip half that is glued to the seat back. By pushing down on this tab, the seat back is released and can be pulled straight out from the seat.

Hopefully this will be useful to those who have yet to deal with the seat back issue. Wish me luck getting the damn thing back on!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by boomster View Post
    Well, I finally got the seat back off, although my technique was not the greatest. One of the bottom clips ended up coming unglued from the seat back in the process, which will require re-gluing along with the two top clips. I did, however, learn what the "trick" is for getting the bottom clips off.
    If you are looking down on the clips ( the plastic seat back shell presumably would be angled back at this point) you can see that there is a tab (part of the clip component that stays with the seat) which is centered between the sides of the clip half that is glued to the seat back. By pushing down on this tab, the seat back is released and can be pulled straight out from the seat.

Hopefully this will be useful to those who have yet to deal with the seat back issue. Wish me luck getting the damn thing back on!

Bill
    Velcro? Or is this too unsophisticated solution for the Z8 (I have the same problem)?

Name:  VELCRO-TAPE.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  23.9 KB
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Might be a last resort! Right now, the seat back is on my kitchen center island with clamps holding the freshly glued clips in place. I have read the archive reports, and although it sounds like it is a pain in the a** to get it back on correctly, it should be doable. I'll update you when I get it done.

Bill

Hi Bill,

This is the online Technical Information System by BMW. It is in russian

BMW TIS. Просмотр документа

Put the link in google -> translate and you see how to move/remove the panel
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

It would be so nice if BMW would just put the English TIS online for all the cars the are in the Classic division so we can all use it! :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

2 years back the BMW lawyers forced the existing online TIS from the NET. Only the Russians are probably hidden behind the Ural I have a TIS DVD but Mavericks broke my Paralells so I cannot use windows based apps now.
    Ton

Well, I got the seatback in on my second try. The problem I was having was related to a damaged top clip (from the lack of depression marks in the leather, I suspect the seat back was never properly installed from the factory) The clip was compressed in such a way as to make it nearly impossible slip into place and properly engage. I ended up cutting a piece of popsicle stick about .75" and using it to wedge the clip into a wide-open position, figuring that the stick would disengage when the clip slid into place. It worked like a champ!

One additional tip for future seat-back repairers- Even if the original glue on several of the six clips appears to be holding, I strongly suggest you remove them and reglue. Otherwise, during the wrestling process to get the seatback back in place, those clips will be dislodged and you will have to start over. Ask me how I know!

Bill

Well done Bill!
    Ton

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    I ended up doing the passenger seat this weekend. First, thanks for the great instructions! Made the process really easy. The only thing I wanted to add was that I found it difficult to put the seat back back in place, until I climbed behind the seat and used my knees as part of the process to keep pressure on the plastic, ... got it first try after that.

Thanks again for the great info... would have been quite the trick to find those releases without that document.

Cheers

Glad it worked out! This forum has been extremely helpful for me as well.

Bill