Thread: How do they do that?

How do they do that?

I just saw a clip where several cars, foreign and domestic, stood still and spun the rear tires for quite a long time, with very impressive smoke from the tires. How do they do that? I thought the E brake was attached to the rear brakes, so how do they keep the car from moving? I further wonder...in a Z8 without a quaife, does only one wheel spin and smoke?

good question, and I have no idea....

but a guess is maybe they pour a little cooking oil or something similar on the tires first to ensure the desired visual effect. In my days on two wheels it was easy to do, just grab the front brake, stand up to get your weight of the rear wheel, drop the clutch, and bingo, tons of anti-social noise and smoke!

Here is a very early shot of the Z8, taken long before anyone had put an LSD in the car, so this was done with a stock car, but don't ask me how!

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar

smokin'

Andrew

They use a front brake lock.

Dave

It looks like a popular place in the photo judging from the black tire lines on the pavement. Do you think that the incline of that street is enough to keep the rear wheels from gripping on an energetic takeoff with the weight of the car holding it back? But is still doesn't explain both wheels smokin'...

"Line locks" Used on drag cars

Brakes in front as stated above are applied to allow heating of the tires without moving forward much at all. I'm sure the red Z8 was in fact moving quite a bit, and did not have line locks!