Thread: Z8doc Goes Eureka!

Thumbs up Z8doc Goes Eureka!

So... the wife and I decided to venture to Northwest Arkansas this past weekend as our efforts to get plan a Z8 weekend with the Texas Z8ers just could not materialize. We decide for a little personal weekend ourselves just to get away. An area highly regarded this time of year for our part of the country is in Northwest Arkansas in the Ozark Mountains called Eureka Springs (about 2.5 hours due east of Tulsa). Known for it's healing waters / natural springs by Native Americans (Osage Nation) and by European Settlers in the early to mid-1800s. Has had a fair number of Swiss immigrants over the years and is known affectionately as Arkansas' Little Swtizerland and has hotels with names such as Edelwiess and The Bavarian Inn to name a few. Lots of twisty roads, lakes to enjoy and just a good areas just to relax and enjoy some simple lifestyle and good food.

The Inn was the Trails Inn. Our hosts were new immigrants owners, Sylvio and Adrianne, new owners of the hotel and to the area / USA from Switzerland. Very accommodating and in process of updating the hotel. The main hotels pictured are the Basin Park Inn (named for Basin Spring, built in 1906) has a Balcony Bar overlooking Mainstreet and the general goings on and a full top floor dedicated to nothing but drinking and the game of Billiards called "Lucky 7".

Another hotel pictured is one of the oldest and most famous, called The Crescent Hotel, built 1886. Noted for hilltop location, was 5 star at the time, catered to rich elite originally seeking the healing waters. Notoriously bought during depression years by a charlatan who made 15 million in just 2 short years claiming cancer cures (was not a doctor) as he converted the hotel to a cancer hospital. Returned to hotel status much later and serves that purpose today. Recent $6 million restoration. Most famous for recurrent hauntings and gives tours nightly and featured on TV Reality show "Ghost Hunters".

Beautiful countryside. Beaver Lake close by. Once back in Oklahoma, a couple picks of one of my local favorite roads the Cherokee Scenic Byway, which parallels the Illinois River as it meanders south though the state to the Cherokee Nation Capitol, Talequah, OK. .

The area is visited by lots of motorcyclists and motoring car clubs frequently from Spring thru Fall and now is peak time due to the hardwood forest Fall color changes. Although our weekend was just the beginning of the color change, the color was developing rapidly over the couple days we were there. Below are a few pics for your pleasure. Would be nice to have a group there as I am sure everyone would enjoy the drives and there are spas and shopping for the ladies if they do not want to join the guys on a drive !! All in all, a great relaxing weekend.

Oh yeah, the Z8 turned 60,000 smiles this trip !!

Last edited by Z8doc; October 29th 2013 at 02:55. Reason: info
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Great writeup and pics, Jeff, and congrats on 60k!
    thegunguy

Wow, it looks and sounds glorious, thanks for sharing!! :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Looks amazing, Jeff. Great trip for sure.

Thanks guys ..... we had fun !!
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Jeff, that looks like a wonderful trip; great pictures!!

Your host's name was Sylvio, eh. Since that was my dad's name, he must be a great guy.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Looks like a great trip! I might have to head to the same direction before the winter is here!
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Quote Originally Posted by ///M Blitz View Post
    Your host's name was Sylvio, eh. Since that was my dad's name, he must be a great guy.
    Carlos, he and his wife were very nice and accommodating. They immigrated to the USA one year ago specifically wanting to purchase a hotel and run it as an occupation and as part of their immigration plan (start a business, employ americans, i.e., add to the economy and not take from it and... pay taxes -- their words and explanation, not mine !! ) They are slowing remodeling the hotel (but still, a general simplistic design and decor but clean and tidy) and certainly the price was right --- only $134 including tax for 2 night stay and includes a simple continental breakfast with juice, muffins and fruit / cofffee.

- - - Updated - - -
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Sounds like a deal! (Steal?)

Great trip!
    Richard Armstrong
    Alpina 134/555
    #62178 Silver // Black

Thank you for sharing your pictures and your story! Your write-up opened my eyes to the great drives available in Northwest Arkansas.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for sharing your pictures and your story! Your write-up opened my eyes to the great drives available in Northwest Arkansas.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Jeff. You should come over for the Crescent Classic which happens each year the Wednesday thru Sunday the week of Labor Day at the Crescent Hotel. It is sponsored by Ferrari of Denver and typically has a number of Italian cars but all cars are welcome up to a limit of 50 cars. There is a dinner Wednesday night, long drives on Thursday and Friday, a party Friday night and a car show and a banquet at Crystal Bridges Museum on Saturday. This year there were drivers from as far as San Francisco. If u are interested I will send u the link when sign up for 2014 is posted. There is also a great Paddock Club set up in the parking lot that goes each night until all hours. It is a great group of people.
    Robert C. - BMW Enthusiast
    03- Alpina Z8 62141 #243/555

Found this website for the 2013 event - looks like an exceptional event and the website is one of the most dynamic ones I have seen for a long time. Worth checking out just for that.

http://www.crescentclassicrally.com/
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S