Thread: Possible Frame Issue

Possible Frame Issue

Hi all,

I am in the process of acquiring a 2001 Z8, 35 k miles, second owner, generally nice condition. When doing the "quarter test" a Quarter fits perfectly between the fenders and the hood at the headlights, but the gap widens to about the width of a credit card as you get to the rear of the hood by the windshield. Is any variance in the gap acceptable, or is this indicative of a frame problem? A quick response would be appreciated as I am trying to make a go/no go decision today.

Thanks,

Boomster

- - - Updated - - -

Forgive me, I should have said the gap widens by about the width of a credit card in addition to the quarter. Sorry!

I assume you mean the "thickness" of a credit card? Not very different than the thickness of a quarter... Sounds fine. Have you checked the strut towers yet? Search this forum for instructions.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Bill,

Strut tower can be damaged with little or no change in hood to fender spacing. When the hood to fender spacing begins to change the damage is worst. Look for domed strut towers best exemplified here:

http://www.bmwz8.us/forum/frames/first-frame-thread-jan-13th-2006-a-400.html

“This is usually accompanied by a visible distortion of the shock tower crown and radial splaying of the three bolts on the shock tower crown which should be pointing upwards in parallel”.

For left side drive cars, damage more likely on right side.

Good luck,

Phil
    61115 Topaz/Crema

Sorry to be late back to you on this, but as Ian & Phil said the splay of the bolts and the doming of the crowns is what maters most, the hood and body panels can always be realigned.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    I agree. The quarter test is really the least critical. If you can post up pictures of the car with the hood closed and then the shock towers. Also look for changes in the plane between the hood and the fenders. These cars were all hand built so its common to find some minor panel alignment issues- usually with how the headlight housings line up with the bumper.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Bill,

Are the first set of strut pictures the right strut or left strut? Unless there is camera distortion the one strut is domed. The other one may be slightly domed – again may be camera distortion. If you draw mental straight lines through the bolts and they are not parallel that is damaged.

Is the fender to hood shot from the side with the domed strut?

Phil
    61115 Topaz/Crema

Z8Mania
    I agree what appears to be the passenger side tower seems to have some distortion.... Sorry to be reporting bad news. The shot of the hood looks good. You should have the other side as well. You can have some doming of the shock tower and not see it in the hood.

It sounds like you're close to coming to an agreement to purchase a Z8! With that in mind, have your local BMW dealership perform a PPI and provide a quote for the performance package (PP) install. It's small investment given the price of these cars and the dealership can provide you some assurance on the state of the towers. I would ask the dealership too about their experience in maintaining Z8s, the rarity of the car makes finding an experienced technician challenging. In addition to the PP, search for the thread with the 10-year maintenance for considering all of your upfront costs once the vehicle is purchased.

Red is a rare color for the Z8, so congratulations in finding one. Good luck!
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

It looks like camera distortion in the first pic, but in the following pics it looks like you're in pretty good shape, there could be a hint of a splay, but again it could be lens distortion. Putting the flat plastic down was a the right thing to do. If it sits flat you're golden, if it has a tiny rock back and forth along its length then you're acceptable, but if it rocks a lot then I'd walk away. The Performance Package will really help stabilize the towers, and is a real must do.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    I agree with Andrew and Ed.

Ditto. Get a PPI