Thread: Thinking of putting on hard top

Sport Button On - DSC Off mollyshark's Avatar

Thinking of putting on hard top

Never thought I'd do it, but it is DAMN cold outside. I figure we have another 2 months of damn cold and hate to see the Z just SITTING there. Am really thinking about putting on the hard top. Anyone else doing this? Is it difficult? I've truly never had it on! Will I hate it?

I've done it several times....

and it really isn't hard to do. If your top is on it's stand I would suggest get two chaps to pick it up, and carry it over the rear of the car, while you get inside, and make sure the two 'fastening spikes' don't scratch the car, and locate correctly into their locking holes.

Once that is done it is really simple, the easiest way is just follow the instructions in the manual to see how to use the key (which should be clipped into the top beneath the removeable plastic cover) to fasten it in place.

I am a big fan on the way the car looks with it's top on, and it certainly changes its nature completely, a real 'two for the price of one' treat!

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

M - It's fairly easy, but as macfly suggests, definitely a 2 person job to carry and place the top. Because I'm in PHX, I'm usually on the opposite cycle from most folks. I normally put the top ON in the summer because it's so blasted hot here and remove it for fall, winter and spring. You lived here so you know what I mean.

Anyway, there's a good chance you'll like it rather than hate it. Not so much that you'll never take it off again, but it'll be very nice for those cold months of winter in TX. Because it makes the car look completely different, I actually think it adds a little more mistique to the car. For those who barely know what a Z8 is, it changes it enough to make them wonder all over again - "What kind of car is that?".

Unlike a lot of cars with soft and hardtops, the Z8 looks great in either configuration (IMHO). Do it and let us know what you think. Good Luck!

The Z8 is drop dead gorgeous with the top on or off, and it is like getting a new car when it first goes on. BUT.. it is difficult enough that you will suffer through that perfect sunny and warm January or February day with the hardtop on when the bun warmers and full blast heat would have kept you toasty while cruising topless. Somehow dropping the top mid winter makes the seasons change just a little faster. I'm leaving mine off this year because I missed a few of those days last year. And we're already in the twenties with our second snowstorm of the season upon us. Have fun either way!!

Depending on your interior

color, (mine is crema) be careful not to leave finger prints on the headliner when lifting.
    Make sure hands are clean!

As for life with the hardtop on, I'm not a big fan of the engine sounds without all the exhaust rumble, and I really miss the open visability of the top off mode. I'm more likely to not drive in the winter when it's wet out, put up the soft top if I get caught off gaurd, and enjoy the brisk clear days with a warm jacket..pair of gloves...and scarf!

Just my .02

It's a nice change in personality

I put the top on last week prior to my track day - air temps in the 50s. With the seemingly fragile nature of the soft top, I find myself hesitant to drive it any real distance with the top up.

Unlike the 911 cab hard top, which almost exactly mimics the soft top, the Z8 hardtop really changes the visual character of the car.

M - it should be a pretty easy job for you with your hoist.
    thegunguy

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar

Hardtop

Hey Mollyshark

I just put my hard top on. I have a hoist. It is quite simple to get the hard top in place without any scratches or dings even by yourself if you have a hoist. I opted for the manual hoist and use a variable speed drill to lower/raise the top. It was cheaper than the optional electric winch and allows (if you have a good drill) for very precise and slow lowering of the top.

I agree with you Gunguy - it really does change the character of the car.

Dave

One word of caution when using the hardtop stand: do not let the top slip from your hands even a tiny bit as the edge of the glass is unprotected and when it drops down and meets the center cross brace the rear window shatters quite dramatically. Now maybe I'm just clumsy, but this has happened to me twice. Caution!
    P.S. However, having the hardtop on is a very cool experience.

Z8Mania
    Anyone have experience with the Z8 hard top hoists?

http://64.225.94.154/ShopSite/page42.html

Sport Button On

hard top hoists

I bought mine 8 months ago and have used it several times with no problem what so ever. My car is in storage as we speak and my hard top is supported by the hoist. I decided to use the soft top during the storage period since it is recommended in our car manual to avoid having marks on the soft top.
    I highly recommend the hoist and the staff are very helpful:
    Angie Stice
    Customer Sales Director
    HardTop Hoist, Inc.
    1-877-219-6332 (Toll Free)
    713-694-4505 (Local)
    281-441-2121 (Fax)
    www.eztop.com
    Good luck
    KG

Sport Button On

Follow up

Hi Jerry,
    Forgot to mention that the hoist that I am using different from the one that you introduced through your link. The one that I am using goes in a V position under the window weather strap which I do not think is the case with the one in your link.
    KG

Sport Button On

Follow up

Hi Jerry,
    Forgot to mention that the hoist that I am using different from the one that you introduced through your link. The one that I am using goes in a V position under the window weather strap which I do not think is the case with the one in your link.
    KG

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar

Thumbs up Hoist

Hey Z8Mania

I bought my hoist from 'The Hard Top Hoist Company'. The link is on the website. I am very pleased with the quality and function. Install took about 4 1/2 hours. The mechanism is very slow (ie not much movement of the hoist per revolution of the hand crank) but it is plenty fast if you simply place an electric drill on the mechanism. It is designed for this.
    With a variable speed drill I can move the top very slowly when the top is near the car and I am easily able to get the hard top in position myself without worrying about scratching the car or breaking the window (see Z8Mark's note above !). Alternatively you could get the electric winch but I dont think it is necessary.
    I give this product a 10/10.
    Dave

Z8Mania
    Thank you all for the info. I think in the end I will just not even bother with the hardtop and just keep it on the stand, where it now resides full time. I drive the car top down 99% of the time. I hope everyone is enjoying their holidays!

Happy Holidays to all my Z8 friends!