Thread: Sony QX10 / QX100

Z8Mania

Sony QX10 / QX100

This could be a great idea or just more stuff to lug around... thoughts?

http://petapixel.com/2013/09/03/sony...otional-video/

Been watching it coming for a while over here - http://www.sonyalpharumors.com

I love the idea, and think it should be a hit, but personally it isn't anything I want as I have all bases covered between the iPhone, the RX1 and the D800.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    I can't decide if this is brilliant or if most people will say what you just said. That's how I feel with the RX100 and D4. I haven't used that Panasonic GX1 in a year now.

Z8Mania
    The more I think about this, the more I think its not going to generate much enthusiasm in the market place. Its just so bulky and then you need to use your phone as the screen. I think a lot of people will think: if I take the phone out to use as a screen, I might as well just use the camera in the phone..

I think it might be super cool as a starter camera for a kid with an iPhone who wants more, thats where I'd expect it sell best. For those of us with a series of cameras its a bit of a pointless thing, but we for sure aren't the target market.
    Andrew Macpherson

This is very interesting stuff, and it's a great innovative move by Sony. However, I believe that it's more a learning effort than an actual product direction. Phones are great on convenience, and their quality is getting surprisingly good. Having to carry an extra bit of kit (now a two piece system) means you're preplanning and could easily bring a great compact/mirrorless like the many recent new products from Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, Olympus, and even CaNikon.

What I believe is going on here is the Bell X1 of an industry that will see all bodies slaving to second screens for additional functionality.

Such as...
    thegunguy

That's pretty much how we work at work, usually tethered to a PowerMac, but Capture One has a stand alone iPad app that allows the client to sit on the sod and watch the goings on in his/her lap.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Yes that is exactly what I was thinking as well. I think it would be really cool. I would also love to see some kind of feature where a camera could send files (maybe lower res copies) to a smart phone- so you could have the high res files for your computer/ serious work/ but have fun versions that dont gobble up your phones memory on the mobile.