Thread: Hardtop Headliner

Hardtop Headliner

In the process of waxing the car. I live in FL so the hardtop hasn't been on the car in 2 years or more. It sits on the stand in the garage which isn't air conditioned. You probably guessed it. Took the cover off to wax the hardtop and discovered that the headliner has let loose and is drooping.

I don't recall reading about a similar problem. Has anyone else had this happen? I assume the headliner is attached to the hardtop with adhesive. Now to find a good upholstery shop in the Sarasota, FL area.

Rich
    Rich

Parrish, FL

2006 Ferrari F430 Spyder
    2011 Porsche Carrera S
    2011 Mercedes CLS 550

Yes, it's happened to a few owners, and it does seem to be ones in more humid climates too.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Mine has been covered and on the stand for years... I'm not looking!

^^^ Right!
    Greg AH61930 - 2003 - Silver/Black

Z8Mania
    Me too. Since 2001!

Sport Button On - DSC Off Kevin's Avatar
    I've put mine in my bedroom, when I have someone over they often wonder what it is, I simply say its modern art!! you'd be surprised how many people believe it, one even asked me who the artist was?
    2003 Z8 Silver/Black AH62031 (Sold)

That says a lot about who you're inviting into your bedroom!! ;-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    That says a lot about who you're inviting into your bedroom!! ;-)
    Hahaha, lets just say I don't put a huge emphasis on their intelligence when inviting them over.

So is that harness over your bed really for the Z8 hardtop, or you just glad to see me?

Hahahaha

Z8Mania
    Funny!

For those of us who are married, putting it in the bedroom would be too expensive given the resulting divorce.
    Rich

Parrish, FL

2006 Ferrari F430 Spyder
    2011 Porsche Carrera S
    2011 Mercedes CLS 550

Took the hard top in to have the headliner replaced. The shop now says that the rear window has to be removed. Anyone else have the headliner replaced and had to have the rear window removed?
    Rich

Parrish, FL

2006 Ferrari F430 Spyder
    2011 Porsche Carrera S
    2011 Mercedes CLS 550

Keep us informed on this issue. I live in Tampa and my headliner just fell in. As usual, nothing is ever easy on these cars.

I looked into the BMW Technical Information System: it says the headliner can't be replaced because it is glued to the hard shell :-)
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

I looked at the shell with the headliner removed and might go back today to take pictures. There's some type of hard material that's attached to the shell that can't be removed. The old headliner was easy to remove being the majority of it had already become unglued. The trim shop doesn't see any reason why new headliner material can't be attached to that hard material as was the original headliner. The issue is how to tuck the new headliner around the rear window. There is space for that, but the fear is the black "ring" on the window glass will be scratched when doing so. I'm going to have the window removed so that it isn't scratched and that will also provide both better access and more room for tucking the headliner material. The window doesn't have a gasket around it so it must be glued in place. Removal of the window will be done by a glass shop not the trim shop.

I'm also having the trim shop look at the zipper area in the soft top. Mine has separated as is common on these cars.

More to come.
    Rich

Parrish, FL

2006 Ferrari F430 Spyder
    2011 Porsche Carrera S
    2011 Mercedes CLS 550

That does sound like a major PITA, but hopefully it'll get sorted easily and with the minimum of trouble.
    Andrew Macpherson

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    ... I live in FL so the hardtop hasn't been on the car in 2 years or more. It sits on the stand in the garage which isn't air conditioned ...

Rich
    I do not want to be a smart-ass, but having an air-conditioned garage in Florida is really not a luxury. It's a necessity. Consider yourself fortunate if over time your problems are limited to a falling headliner.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

I almost have my wife convinced that we need to put a/c in the garage .
    Rich

Parrish, FL

2006 Ferrari F430 Spyder
    2011 Porsche Carrera S
    2011 Mercedes CLS 550

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Ask for forgiveness, not for permission
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Z8Mania
    I like that!

Until she starts employing the same technique!
    Rich

Parrish, FL

2006 Ferrari F430 Spyder
    2011 Porsche Carrera S
    2011 Mercedes CLS 550

Please excuse the lousy phone camera picture but here's the hardtop with the headliner removed. The tan colored material you see isn't the headliner but rather what's between the headliner and the hardtop itself. The auto trim guy doesn't see a problem replacing the headliner except he's afraid that trying to tuck it around the back window will cause scratches on the black band that goes around the window. I agreed to pay a glass guy to remove and reinstall the glass so that the window isn't scratched.

I also asked him to look at the zippered area around the back window on my soft top. The zipper has pulled apart as is common on these cars. We both examined the material and can't find any evidence that it was glued at the factory. The issue is he doesn't have a slide that will fit the zipper. He thinks its proprietary to BMW, but with it he might be able to re-zipper and secure the area with adhesive, although he can't say for certain until he sees how well it zips together. Does anyone know if slides are available from BMW? Once the top is zipped together the slide is removed so it can be used again and again. Perhaps we can get BMW NA to donate a couple of slides to the club and they can be mailed back and forth as needed.

Rich

Parrish, FL

2006 Ferrari F430 Spyder
    2011 Porsche Carrera S
    2011 Mercedes CLS 550

I had my zipper surround re-glued by Marty's contact here in LA, and he used something that looked like a thin nylon picnic knife, or a very thin bicycle tyre iron. It wasn't a BMW part at all, but something he had for doing similar jobs.
    Andrew Macpherson

For about $25 BMW has a zipper set available for the soft top back window
    Ton

Thank you for the information. I'll see if my dealer can locate a part number.
    Rich

Parrish, FL

2006 Ferrari F430 Spyder
    2011 Porsche Carrera S
    2011 Mercedes CLS 550

Rich, the parts number is 54 34 7075904
    Ton

Z8Mania
    Very interesting. Thank you for sharing this information.

Z-acht -getting me the part number was extremely nice of you. Thank you.
    Rich

Parrish, FL

2006 Ferrari F430 Spyder
    2011 Porsche Carrera S
    2011 Mercedes CLS 550

Rich,

How did this turn out? Did the back window go in and out relatively easily? Any tips or thoughts as I face the same issue now? Did your parcel shelf also fail?

Mine is a very early US car, but the hardtop has been on the car or in a conditioned garage for 13.5 years now, so I think it's just a matter of time for all of us.

The replacement was fine, but I'd be very selective on who does the work. I went to someplace that had been recommended, but had a few installation problems. My parcel shelf hadn't failed. No issues with the window although I sold the car, not related to this, so I can't verify if it leaked or not. I'm not certain if all repairers will recommend removing the rear window.
    Rich

Parrish, FL

2006 Ferrari F430 Spyder
    2011 Porsche Carrera S
    2011 Mercedes CLS 550

Can you provide any details on the installation problems? Anything you can help us avoid?

Nothing specific to the process, just the installer. The roof was scratched, there were fingerprints on the headliner and he had the top for a couple of weeks.
    Rich

Parrish, FL

2006 Ferrari F430 Spyder
    2011 Porsche Carrera S
    2011 Mercedes CLS 550

Z8 Novice
    I have the same problem with my Alpina where the headliner fell and also live in Tampa. Would you please share who you used in this area to replace the fabric headliner? I have hit so many dead ends and BMW wants to sell me the whole hardshell replacement which I don't need!! Thank you so much!!

Sorry for the delay in responding as I was in Germany for BMW's 100 year anniversary. I can't recommend the installer I used as he scratched the top. Any good auto upholster place should be able to do the job. I looked at books of sample material and found one that was very close to original. My guy felt the rear window needed to be removed to do the job correctly so we hired an auto glass installer to remove and reinstall the window.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by mlogan View Post
    I have the same problem with my Alpina where the headliner fell and also live in Tampa. Would you please share who you used in this area to replace the fabric headliner? I have hit so many dead ends and BMW wants to sell me the whole hardshell replacement which I don't need!! Thank you so much!!
    Rich

Parrish, FL

2006 Ferrari F430 Spyder
    2011 Porsche Carrera S
    2011 Mercedes CLS 550

Z8 Novice
    Thanks for getting back to me Rich. I am still trying to find a hardtop headliner material that is close enough to original to use without much luck yet. I did purchase a new rear window so at least that is ready to go! Appreciate your help.
    Deb

Z8 Novice
    Hi Rich,
    If I could reach out to you one more time with a question about the hartop liner replacement please! I was able to find original replacement liner and had it installed. Haven't seen the work yet and holding my breath. The upholstery company removed the rubber seal at the liner but did not want to reinstall it. Fields wants to charge $2512 to order new rubbers seals and install which sounds crazy to me! They said they could possible reuse the old seal as it has double stick on it. Did you have this situaition too? What did you do? Thank you again for your kindness to share your experience with this unfortunate experience!
    Cheers,
    Deb