Thread: OT: XMAS shopping for my dad and drove a 997 C4S

OT: XMAS shopping for my dad and drove a 997 C4S

I test drove an '06 997 C4S this afternoon as a possible gift for my dad from my step-mother. While the drive was short, I have had lots of seat time in a 996, and I have to agree with all of the press that the 997 has received since release. It is a vastly improved car that adds back the soul that was somehow lost in the 996.

If you're looking for a daily driver to save the Z8, a 997 is a strong candidate.

Oh - I love the "street cred" the Z8 gets at non-BMW dealers.
    thegunguy

Can I borrow your Step Mum on a long term loan please!!!

Oh lucky man!!!
    Happy Holidays really takes on a new meaning now!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Robert Linton's Avatar
    Instead I would build a Super Cayman. First, I would install a normally aspirated engine (including a new inconel exhaust system) in excess of 425 HP. Second, I would design an lighter weight transmission with sequential shifting. Third, I would improve the aerodynamics and, in the process, redesign the front, the front fenders and the rear of the car and build the new components in carbon fiber. Fourth, I would reduce the weight of and improve the suspension in a variety of ways and provide for numerous adjustments. Fifth, I would reduce the weight of and improve the brake calipers and brake cooling while retaining the optional carbon ceramic rotors (with lighter weight bells). Sixth, I would improve the quality of the interior with better and more leather, higher quality carpets and trim in aluminum, carbon fiber and titanium. Seventh, in addition to whatever weight reduction all of the foregoing might yield, I would do what was necessary to reduce the overall weight to approximately 2300 pounds. And, in turn, I would have the finest handling Porsche and one of the quickest street cars ever built.

Santa, can I have one just like Bob's please!!

Seriously that sounds amazing, and makes me wonder if the future of the GT3 isn't threatened by the Cayman platform, as with a similar power unit is is obviously more that it's equal.

I know the Cayman will become a race car in the hands of many weekend warriors, but will the boys who build it make a 'Cup' variant? Do they see it as a junior Cup car, or even as a possible replacement for the mighty R, RS and RSR's that we see in every meaningful race around the world?

Will this car become the real sports Porsche, and release the 911 platform to become more of an SL fighter?

So many questions! The Cayman certainly has a lot going for it, and as an ex GT3 owner who loves track days I'd say I'm a potential customer, but there is one big detail that I haven't heard mentioned anywhere, so let me say it here, the Cayman is an ill proportioned and ugly little car!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I too am intrigued by the Cayman

With a little bit of work it could make a fine track car. Somewhere I saw it referred to as a GT3 junior - made me laugh. I never really liked the look of the Boxster, but the Cayman is really something different.

Then again, from a business standpoint, you can't defame the Boxster since it pretty much saved the company from death. Amazingly, I believe Porsche is the most profitable make on the planet (from a % standpoint), which is pretty neat seeing how much they still hand build much of their cars.

I'm definitely a BMW zealot, but I strongly admire our friends from Stuttgart (at least one of them). The 997 is a fine ride.
    thegunguy