Thread: Getting a glass finish on the Z8

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Getting a glass finish on the Z8

I have kept the Z8 garaged since I bought it back in 2000. But recently I have noticed that after waxing the exterior it just does not have that original glass finish feel to the body when I run my hand across it. I normally brush my hand along the drivers side door when I take the car out and when it is not feeling glassy smooth I wash and wax it again. But lately it is not feeling the way it used to. I've tried several products and none of them restored it to the glass-like feeling.

What product do people recommend to use to really get the finish feeling like glass once again?

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    License Plate: MYBMW Z8
    Eisenmann Mufflers
    Dinan Performance Software

One thing to try is clay bar after washing, before wax. The next thing would be a Multi step polish system, likely using a random orbital polishing machine. Mothers "ultimate wax system" is great.

use it :-)
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Team Z8
    Ditto, clay bar.

Clay Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    One thing to try is clay bar after washing, before wax. The next thing would be a Multi step polish system, likely using a random orbital polishing machine. Mothers "ultimate wax system" is great.
    Is this a decent clay kit to use - Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit
    I see it on Amazon for $18.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    Eisenmann Mufflers

I'm a big fan of Mother's, they've been very good to us over the years, so I'd pick them over their competition.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

And with mothers you get more clay than meguiars. However, I think you may need more than just clay.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Kevin's Avatar
    I just got the Mothers Detailing Kit, which came with 2 clay bars, Detailer spray and a microfiber cloth for $15.00 at auto zone (on sale). After the clay bar I applied Turtle Wax Spray. I can honestly say the car looks amazing, the paint is mirror clean and as smooth as silk.
    2003 Z8 Silver/Black AH62031 (Sold)

Awesome! Turtle wax spray, really? Do some real wax, like mothers California gold carnauba! It's not so easy, but far more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Awesome! Turtle wax spray, really? Do some real wax, like mothers California gold carnauba! It's not so easy, but far more effective.
    I use the good stuff every once in a while but the spray on works pretty well too. The car looked better than when I picked it up from the dealership.

I'm a fan of Zaino. Crazy shine and incredible durability.
    thegunguy

I'm so glad it is looking so great! Now go enjoy and share the love!

A little off topic but soon I will get a detailer to color correct my car going through clay to multiple polish grits then wax. The nose of my car has a number of paint chips, mostly on the lower diffuser. I am leary of painting the nose due to possilbe slight color difference and no longer all original paint. I could just paint the lower diffuser to the cut line that runs about 4 inches up and take care of 80% of the chips. My car is never going back to stock but I would like the paint to stay as close to original as possible. Thoughts any one?
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Dinan low restriction carbon fiber airboxes
    Dinan high flow air mass meters
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    custom short shift linkage
    cdv modifacation
    Quaiffe differential/military grade gear polishing
    19 inch 3 piece HRE mags/Toyo tires
    Custom crossdrilled/slotted rotors
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    custom Sachs clutch /pressure plate
    Dinan pedal set

As long as the paint on the bumper matches I don't think it will hurt the value of the car. Nobody can even paint meter it to tell if it was painted.

I've been using the Menzerna products since new and have been happy with them.
    Rich

Parrish, FL

2006 Ferrari F430 Spyder
    2011 Porsche Carrera S
    2011 Mercedes CLS 550

That's true, have been checking out paint meters recently, none I've found are on plastics.
    Andrew Macpherson

Clay it!

Yep, use the clay. Just be sure to keep your process wet and well lubricated as you go and knead the clay constantly. If you drop the clay....go buy another one!
    Then wash again, polish and wax. Should return that glasses feel and look.
    StuM
    2013 M3 Lime Rock Edition coupe (sold)
    2011 Audi R8 V10 Spyder (sold)
    2011 6.2L Raptor
    2002 BMW Z8 (sold)
    1967 Corvette 427 roadster
    2013 Maser MC convt
    2014 BMW i8 (pending)

Z8Mania
    I like the idea of using clay. But before you go there, is it that your cars surface feels rough or just not waxy smooth?

My favorite all purpose wax is Klasse All In One.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...need-a-bottle/

I love the speed shine, shampoo, wheel cleaner, leather cleaner, conditioner from Detailing Dymanics:

http://www.detailingdynamics.com/cat...ling_chemicals

I also really love Chemical Guys stuff. Especially their microfiber towels. Check out their monster towels- their website is really involved- LMK if you want me to get more specific:

http://www.chemicalguys.com

When I drive I put my hand out the door and run it across the surface of the door. It always felt like glass after I waxed it. But now it doesn't feel rough, it just does not feel as smooth and glassy. Yet down near the bottom of the door, it does still have that glassy feeling. So something is different and I did not know the cause. So I know I needed to try something. I had the car waxed but it did not change. So I figured what the detailer used just was not doing it. This is why I asked what others have used to get that finish back. The car has always been garaged. It has 40,000 miles on it since 2001.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    Eisenmann Mufflers

Z8Mania
    Hummm.... I think its time to bring in a pro detailer. I'm not sure what the issue is.

Look at the ultima paint guard video's on youtube. There is some professional detailer in South Florida you might want to use if you are as scared as me of ruining your paint. He uses that and it looks easy.

I use the Klasse products on my older cars, but checked out a number of car care blogs last winter and the zaino and ultima came on top if you use sealant instead of wax, which is more work intensive. Klasse's final product is a sealant, and all the things I looked at said ultima was easier...wipe on...and that is it. In the winter sales I bought a Meguiar's Clay Bar kit (60% percent more clay allegedly), extra ultima lubricant for it, ultima paint prep plus for after clay bar, ultima paint guard sealant. It is now getting warm enough to use it, but my wife's car and beloved 320 came first (Klasse because I know it, and the cars have had it).

I may try the ultima this weekend on the Z8, but will probably chicken out. There is a thread on the Z8 Board somewhere of a guy in Austin that does a fantastic detail job...buffers and all. 500 mile trip and probably an overnight stay in some hotel to get a car detail. Is that crazy or what, but have not found any detailer in Dallas that I like.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

The car will be dirty by the time you get home again! :-) Great, another excuse to go drive!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Great stuff Charles!

I like Zaino stuff, I used to use them, I've found the Klasse seal is as good as anyones but its a little more difficult to work with. The best I've found is from Chemical Guys. Try their jet seal.

I have a friend who is a serious detailer and hes tried them all and he keeps coming back to the Klasse all in one (not the seal).

Heres a great video to watch:

The All-in-One is a light polish (a polish is just an abrasive) and you can use it alone, or wax over it. Using it alone all the time it is probably better to put it on and take it off wet, not letting it dry. I used to follow with wax and buff, but like the new wax-as-you-dry products. The Klasse Sealant is a paint sealant, like in the video, and is more permanent than the wax.

So I wash, and twice a year (before summer and winter) use the All-in-One (sometimes wet, and sometimes letting it dry and buffing) and then add the sealant. I'll admit the sealant sometimes looks like it leaves streaks (I have even tried letting the car dry overnight before application), but the streaks disappear after the first wash. With that first wash and every wash after that I use wax-as-you-dry. Sounds like a big deal, but it isn't. After you wash your car, you spray it on like windex and dry the car. No buffing ot anything. The upside is you will be more likely to wash the car more often when it gets dirty, which is a good thing.

For you guys with black cars, like my 320, I also highly recommend the Meguiar's Black detailer. It really does result in a blacker result when you clean a spot off between washes.

I don't think I will use this system on the Z8, but after I try all this Ultima stuff, I might, as its results have been good for my 30 years with my 320.

The part that I know needs to be done is the clay, which I am getting braver about, and the compunding, which is a stronger abrasive, followed by some anti-swirl stuff...just not that confident about my skills.
    Charles Guerin

Z8Mania
    Charles, I know what you mean about streaks, and also sometimes these products leave residue along various edges/ body parts. I found if I use a speed shine right after the Klasse, it removes any streaking and also removes any residue! Highly recommended. The Zaino Z8 (great part number!!!!) is a good one. I prefer the detailing dynamics one I mentioned above. Their stuff really is excellent.

The streaking is really odd. It is not on top of the paint. It almost looks like the paint absorbed the product differently, darker in some places than others, like it is still wet there. Anyway, it goes away after the first wash.

One of the links you provided had an article on applying the Klasse Sealant a different way, and using a detailer to remove the excess before light buffing. It sounds promising, so I will try that next time.

Thanks for posting the links, Jerry!
    Charles Guerin

Z8Mania
    You're welcome. I know exactly of the streaking youre talking about- the detailing spray after the Klasse removes it, at least in my experience. The chemcial guys monster microfiber towels are my favorite for removing the detailing spray.

Ultima Paint Care Products

Ok, I got brave this weekend and used all the products on my silver Z8 and I just have to say Wow, how easy and glass shiny!

1.Wash and dry car.
    2. Put hand in a baggie and test paint for contaminants...not many, but far from glass.
    2. Use Ultima Elastrofoam Paint Cleaning system....like a clay bar, but instead of kneading clay you use a foam block with a special backing after first lubing area by spraying detailer spray supplied with the kit. Wipe off with a microfiber towel and do the baggie test. Most areas were smooth after one pass, but it was so easy, I just lubed up and did it again to get it perfectly smooth. This was soooo easy.
    3. Apply Ultima Paint Prep Plus (really a polish). A couple of pea-sized dabs on the supplied foam pad per 2X2 area. You could see it go on and almost disappear as I applied it in sections. By the time I got around the car it was time to buff off the first area with a microfiber towel. And a light buffing was all it took and the car looked really good.
    4. Apply Ultima Paint Guard Plus (really a sealant). A couple of mist sprays on the supplied microfiber covered applicator pad and wipe an entire panel. You can see it going on very thinly. Then...that is it!!!! No buffing, no nothing. It drys in about 30 minutes to a glass finish. After 12 hours I used detailer spray on the entire car and gave it a second coat for longer lasting protection. It may have added to the shine, but not much. It was there after the first application.
    5. Used Ultima Tire and Trim Guard on the tires. Just applies with a yet another foam applicator. Dresses them but does not make them shiny. No big deal until I used it on the chrome and faded black trim parts of my '83 320i. The chrome has always had a satin finish, but had gotten dingy. No more, and the black trim has held its renewed blackness. Not saying this tire and trim stuff is amazing, but it does a great job considering how easy it is to apply.

Watch some of the Gary Dean video's on YouTube, where he shows how the product is applied. That is how it worked for me. Highly recommended to make scared klutzes look like the pros.
    Charles Guerin

Sounds fantastic! Glad to hear it turned out so well.

Z8Mania
    Nice going Charles!

I'd love to see some pictures. The key thing is to find a system that works for you and gets great results :tbumbsup:

I will not be able to this weekend, but will get some pix next weekend. Probably Blackberry snaps. My older Sony Camera just does not seem to have the resolution that it did before. I looked at the Sony RX thread last night, and while it looks like the RX100 is outpaced by the bigger RX1, I am not sure I would like the extra bulk of an RX1 (I think the RX100 fits in your pocket right?), or that I take enough pictures to want to pay almost $3k. I am following the auctions, and the RX100's are a lot less. I know you get what you pay for, but is the RX100 still an acceptable (meaning sharp) camera? What about the RX100 mk II? That big of an improvement?

Here are a few shots, with a BB. Not as nice as an RX100, but I just had to write yet another large check to Uncle Sam, so am keeping spending down.

Charles Guerin

The RX100 (& Mkll) are perfect pocketable take anywhere do everything cameras.
    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/son...t-dsc-rx100-m2

also here
    http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Pub...ht-performance

The RX1 is really only for very serious photographers who enjoy the discipline of working with a fixed lens. I absolutely wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't completely sure that they have to have it knowing exactly what it is and what it's limitations are.
    Andrew Macpherson

Thanks, Andrew! Good, practical info.
    Charles Guerin

Z8Mania
    The RX100 is still the bees knees

Yeah - It's Back to that showroom finish

Quote Originally Posted by jmosk View Post
    When I drive I put my hand out the door and run it across the surface of the door. It always felt like glass after I waxed it. But now it doesn't feel rough, it just does not feel as smooth and glassy. Yet down near the bottom of the door, it does still have that glassy feeling. So something is different and I did not know the cause. So I know I needed to try something. I had the car waxed but it did not change. So I figured what the detailer used just was not doing it. This is why I asked what others have used to get that finish back. The car has always been garaged. It has 40,000 miles on it since 2001.
    After I read all the steps to do it right, I decided it was time to have the car professionally done. I brought it to a detailer called 'A Showroom Finish' in Boca Raton, Florida. The first thing he showed me was the reason the finish felt the way it did. About 6 months ago I had the lower front bumper repainted after it was chipped when it hit a parking cement bumper. When it was painted, the air must have been filled with paint dust as there were microscopic dots of paint on the car surface and the windows that he was able to show me. So as others stated here, the first thing that needed to be done was claying the car. Low speed buffering after that. A step to remove any swirls in step two. And several other steps with the final being Carnauba Wax that had 20% Teflon mixed into it to preserve the wax. As soon as I came to pick up the car it looked like the first day I got it 12 years ago. He also brought all the chrome back to the original finish as driving with the top down with rain misting in the air had pitted some of the chrome. The car shines now. Now I can run my hand alone the drivers side door as I am driving and feel that glassy finish that I was missing. Back to being a happy camper again. Although how sad can any of us really get when we drive a Z8? My wife remembers when guys used to check her out instead of the car I am driving.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    Eisenmann Mufflers