Thread: Carbon fiber interior

Question Carbon fiber interior

What would it look like if all the painted plastic parts in the car were all carbon fiber? I think that would be great.
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

Sport Button On

I've wondered that myself.........

Especially the silver or kevlar. I looked into instructions for it and it looks fairly simple except for the oven"crucible" part. Unless you had a friend with a pizza oven.

Happy Thanksgiving to All! Jonny
    Jonny

Sport Button On

Fiber-Designs offers it for the M5's. Here is the kink.

Jonny

Interesting

Those of you with the black (probably blue too) painted interior know its propensity to scratch even if you just look at it. As such, I too have wondered about possible changes to enhance the interior and remedy its fragile nature. My thought was to get aluminum pieces machined to replace all of the plastic bits. However, I'm guessing that it would be difficult to match the fit of the existing pieces, and the cost would be terribly high.

I've never really been a fan of carbon fiber. It just seems a little too "boy racer" for my taste, but the stuff from the M5board link looks pretty good. They certainly look like a viable alternative.
    thegunguy

Sport Button On - DSC Off Robert Linton's Avatar
    There quite a difference between decorative carbon fiber (cloth overlayed on plastic or another surface) and real carbon fiber parts. Should there be any interest in this, Cartridge produces very high end real carbon fiber components.

Robert, could you please submit us an offer for the whole painted plastic parts made of real cf in the car. If you price the parts individually we can choose which part to buy and calculate the cost.
    Hattat

PP installed
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

There are two ways to do this.

First, as noted above, is to cover the existing plastic parts with carbon fiber cloth and resin and clearcoat. To give a meaningful quotation for doing this decorative work, someone would have to supply the parts they desired covered.

Second, would be to make proper genuine carbon fiber components -- and, given their use inside a vehicle, it should be carbon fiber combined with other composite materials for tear resistance. To properly make such components, one either needs full CAD data (e.g., Catia models) of the components involved or one needs the components themselves such that they can be re-engineered (with the first step probably being laser scanning so as to produce 3D models). In turn, molds would be made and parts produced. This process would be very expensive and, unless one desires the parts very very badly and is willing to pay for them, cannot be cost justified for a few parts. Of course, certain costs can be cut but this will result in less than OE quality and would seem to be less preferable than the original painted plastic. In any event, assuming a run of five sets, the five pieces that comprise the dashboard could easily cost $10,000++ per set assuming the amortization of the mold tools and engineering time over five sets.

Should you wish to discuss this, please feel free to email me at [email protected]

I've expected them to be very expensive but not that much . Any way, thanks for the information.
    Hattat

PP installed
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

Yes, that is the problem with such a small number. Over 20 sets, for example, the price might be reduced to $7000 per set.